Author Topic: Refresh Rates  (Read 3296 times)

How do I adjust my refresh rate for the game?  I am stuck at 1280x960x60Hz... I want to bump that up to 85Hz.

WCSP looks great by the way  :yes:

Wow... 50+ reads and no one knows how to fix the refresh rates... or even if it can be done?  :confused:

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
:welcome:

If you would post more information, you might get a little more help. What graphics card do you have, which drivers are you using...etc
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Check that you don't have vertical synchronization on in the Launcher. Use your GPU options instead to lock the maximum FPS to your screen's maximum frequency. Of course you have to have a screen that is capable of that kind of refresh rate, and you have to have that mode selected from GPU options.

That way the FS_Open will run faster (up to 120 FPS actually as far as I know, if your machine is up to it), but the graphics processing unit will select only the frames that are 1/85 second from each other to be displayed, showing maximum of 85 frames per second.

Should work fine.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Thank-you for replying... all I'm looking for here is what file (or whatever) the refresh rates are set in.  Usually the graphics .ini

I have 2 x eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocks in SLI with a Samsung SM997DF 19" CRT.  I can handle *anything* this game engine has... I just want to bump up the refresh rate.  Perhaps there is a setting to add refresh rates to the resolution selection?  Like instead of 1024x768 you would have:
1024x768x60Hz
1024x768x72Hz
1024x768x75Hz
1024x768x85Hz

and so on.  I suppose I could try and force the refresh in my display properties... but I was only wondering if there was an in-game method first.  Or is everyone happy with 60Hz?  :eek2:  :D

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Or is everyone happy with 60Hz?  :eek2:  :D
The age of flat panels mate. :)

Or is everyone happy with 60Hz?  :eek2:  :D
The age of flat panels mate. :)

I understand that... but the LCD monitors on the other computers in my home run thier native resolution at both 60 and 75Hz.  I've actually never come across a game that either didn't either A) have refresh choices, or B) run at your desktop's refresh.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Haven't played many old games then? When Windows 2000 and XP were quite fresh, refresh rate was a huge problem in many games. Back then you needed a 3rd party refresh rate locker to play games at higher refresh rates than 60. The problem gradually went away as graphics drivers and games evolved.

The original FS2 engine is from 1998 so it probably didn't support vsync back then. I do not know if fs2_open has support for vsync or not, but on the other hand I don't remember seeing refresh rate problems being posted that much if any.

Edit: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,34084.0.html
It's from 2005, but apparently the settings weren't added, probably because RandomTiger went MIA.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:52:43 am by Fury »

Thanks for the replies.

I have been playing games since the Commodore VIC20  ;)

I am aware that I can lock refresh rates for older games, etc., but I had thought the FS engine was new enough to support at least editing an INI file or some such.  Obviously it isn't, so I will have to take other steps.

Thanks again for the help!