Author Topic: its not working...at all  (Read 8846 times)

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
its not working...at all
I cant get WC Saga to run at all. I get that error with the red circle/white X saying: Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!

ALSO! oddly enough...when I install WC....FS2 wont run...it will give me the same error. When I uninstall WC...FS2 will work.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 01:58:59 am by EAD_Agamemnon »
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: its not working...at all
I cant get WC Saga to run at all. I get that error with the red circle/white X saying: Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!

ALSO! oddly enough...when I install WC....FS2 wont run...it will give me the same error. When I uninstall WC...FS2 will work.

Where are you installing WCSaga to?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

Saga writes video settings directly into registry. It sets video mode to OpenGL, resolution to 1024*768. Are you using Direct3D to play FS2?

The errors message suggests, that your GPU does not support OpenGL
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

Where are you installing WCSaga to?

WCSaga is standalone like TBP. I install it into its own folder. IE FreeSpace2 is seperate. TBP is seperate....WCSaga is seperate.

[/quote]

Saga writes video settings directly into registry. It sets video mode to OpenGL, resolution to 1024*768. Are you using Direct3D to play FS2?

The errors message suggests, that your GPU does not support OpenGL
[/quote]

Yes I also have FS2 but its seperate
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
that was not my question :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

oops srry...i posted this just as you posted...

Yes I use Direct3D to run FS2.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
oops srry...i posted this just as you posted...

Yes I use Direct3D to run FS2.

There's your problem. FS2 and WCSaga are arguing over which video mode to use.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

I'll reinstall WCSaga and try something real quick.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

ok I got both installers set the same...now I get this error from the WCSaga launcher when I try to run it

ander Saga Prologue

-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
you can use your FS Open EXE and launcher. pre 3.6.9 EXE might cause some problems though. D3D is not really supported anymore. What's your gpu?

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

GPU? whats that?

I copied the 5.5a launcher to my FS2 directory and got everything matching there (used 369 FSO). Now it SEEMS to work. The graphics for that opening (intro?) the colors were all solarized and I couldnt make out a single bit. I tried it in OpenGL but it didnt seem to work. I set both to Direct3D8 and it worked...though the movies might not too well.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
What graphics card do you have?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
GPU? whats that?

I copied the 5.5a launcher to my FS2 directory and got everything matching there (used 369 FSO). Now it SEEMS to work. The graphics for that opening (intro?) the colors were all solarized and I couldnt make out a single bit. I tried it in OpenGL but it didnt seem to work. I set both to Direct3D8 and it worked...though the movies might not too well.

graphics card = gpu. Most likely your drivers are outdated - use D3D only as a last option. It is not supported.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

my graphics card is a Hercules Prophet GeForce 2 64mb and up-to-date drivers is redundant since my card is on in years. Haven't had the need to replace it since its done fine for me in everything else I've had.

The last time I got any new drivers they didnt seem to like my card very much.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Hmm... the best place to ask would be the source code forum. Not sure if GF2 is still supported,

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline KeldorKatarn

I doubt the GeForce2 is DirectX8.0 compatible...

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
it has nothing to do with DirectX8 compatibility. Of course it is compatible with DX8, the only restriction is shader support. I have a subnotebook with an outdated intel chip (~3-4 years old) and yet I can play in OpenGL :)

Performance is, of course, pretty low. I usually get around 18 fps, even less inside a hangar.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Dalek

Re: its not working...at all I have this also...
I get same error also.

Most games I run run also in d3d.

Now what I'M confused about IS:

1. Do i NEED to have the FS2_open.exe installed to RUN WC Saga or The original FS2 game (which i have)

OR
2. How do i fix this particular bug? Would i have to change every game ive got installed to make this compaitble with the others?

Im running an AMD Athlon64, 2200+, 1 gb ram, winxp pro sp2, DX9.1, video card is Radeon VE 7000  with 64mb SD ram, D3d & OPEN GL SUPPORTED!
Card is a few years old but runs ALL up2d8 games ive had so far in either 4mat.

Any advice would be appreaciated as im NOT a computer novice, and usually can get these things to work my self, but NOT in this instance, and im SALIVATING to play a new WC game!

Cheers Admiral!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The problems you describe are NOT related to Wing Commander Saga, but are either

a) bad OpenGL support in the particular driver
b) Bug in the SCP code

Either way I can't do anything but to recommend to update GPU drivers. It did the trick in my case.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Dalek

The problems you describe are NOT related to Wing Commander Saga, but are either

a) bad OpenGL support in the particular driver
b) Bug in the SCP code

Either way I can't do anything but to recommend to update GPU drivers. It did the trick in my case.

Ok thanks Tolwyn Sir, I will look into this.
I got the recently released Privateer Remake, I go that to work, alothough performance is not the best.
My drivers probably are a bit old for this as this looks rather BLEEDING EDGE, as Ive had numerous video problems in XP after porting over to 64 bit architecturem NO proper OS support!

Thanks a lot.
I will inform you of what happens.
Keep up the gr8 work here.
All the gr8 games are now being done by amatuers, as NO 1 seems to be doing space sims anymore.

Cheers!