Author Topic: Possible bug in last mission?  (Read 2684 times)

Possible bug in last mission?
I'm using Freespace 2 Open 3.14 with the major Media VPs installed, OpenGL, and these custom flags:
-ambient_factor 5 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.7 -spec_tube 1.5 -ogl_spec 50

First off, I wanna say what a great job the community has done updating the game.  Secondly, I'm a newbie to FS2 and possibly the question I'm asking may have a simple answer, e.g. it may be found within the game itself.  I'll nonetheless risk the embarrassment.

I've gone through the whole game without encountering any problems.  But then I reach the last mission and time and time again, even though I've used the ALT-J command before the supernova cutscene starts, nothing seemed to happen.  Then finally I noticed the game was giving me an "engine failure" message, even when it was right around 10 second mark and within the Vega node.

Searching for some posts here related to a warp drive error, one post indicated low engine strength which is possible given every time my vessel took substantial damage.  But then I tried the warp drive at the beginning of the mission, before taking any damage, and once again I get the "engine failure" message.  The difficulty level I've been using is Easy, if that matters.

Am I just doing something improperly in the last mission, or could this be an error?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Possible bug in last mission?
Just asking because you didn't mention it in your post...

You were in the node when you tried to warp out, right?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business

....even when it was right around 10 second mark and within the Vega node....

It appears he was within the node.

Even I had encountered this bug before on retail, but, a replay of the mission fixed it (iirc)

Oh, and I almost forgot:

:welcomered:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:17:04 am by Crybertrance »
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I just tried the final mission on 3.6.14 Debug (using skipmemymissionyo cheat to bypass the rest of the campaign) and I could jump out successfully after I ran straight for the jump node (i.e. prior to the supernova starting).  You need to be closer than 666 metres to the jump node in order for your jump drives to be activated, how close were you when you tried?

edit: to be complete, the "engine failure" message when you're not close to the jump node is normal.  Also, the difficulty level does not matter.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:07:39 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

....even when it was right around 10 second mark and within the Vega node....

It appears he was within the node.

SNIP

Wow.. I read his post twice to be sure and still missed it. Reading comprehension FAIL.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Thanks for the responses.  While I thought I did things properly at least twice and still failed, I'll try the mission again--careful to keep track of the node's distance--and see what happens.

Another question, though:  Why would I get an engine failure message at the beginning of the mission?  In prior missions you could jump out at any time, although you would get a nasty response from your superiors and have to replay the level.  Did Volition change this for the final mission?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah, they did.  They specifically disable your subspace drive unless you're within 666 metres of the centre of the node ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

So I replayed it and did everything as suggested and everything worked properly, I beat the game, and so on.  Great game, I can see why it has such a following.  So I would say this is probably not a bug.. more like a misunderstanding.

I'm aware the next question might be off-topic, but what else does this great game have to offer after beating it?  Are there any solid official or unofficial campaigns available?  I was looking at the Blue Planet campaign, which has gotten great reviews, but it seems to be for hardcore players only.  At best, I might be a below-average FS2 player--even on Easy, some missions gave me trouble.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is a very good guide that'll cover most of the classics of FS modding.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
So I replayed it and did everything as suggested and everything worked properly, I beat the game, and so on.  Great game, I can see why it has such a following.  So I would say this is probably not a bug.. more like a misunderstanding.

I'm aware the next question might be off-topic, but what else does this great game have to offer after beating it?  Are there any solid official or unofficial campaigns available?  I was looking at the Blue Planet campaign, which has gotten great reviews, but it seems to be for hardcore players only.  At best, I might be a below-average FS2 player--even on Easy, some missions gave me trouble.

Nah, Blue Planet (both AoA and WiH) are awesome and a must play...Although few missions might get hot, its nothing you can't handle!

And check out the link E posted; HLP has got some pretty great mods to pass the time with! And I hope you enjoy your time here!
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Oh, man, there is so much out there. The user-made content matches and sometimes exceed the base game.

BP isn't too hardcore, you'll be fine. Just keep it on Very Easy (that's how I played for my first few years in FreeSpace).

You should play, just as a starter, Diaspora, Blue Planet, Vassago's Dirge, Silent Threat Reborn, The Antagonist, Wings of Dawn. All of them offer something very different from the FS2 campaign (so you won't get bored) but still of quality. Just don't expect quite the same caliber of voice acting!

e: and dimensional eclipse!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:54:59 am by General Battuta »

Wait, I was told playing on Very Easy actually made Delenda Est /harder/.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't know, might be, but he's like ~30 missions away from that so it's fine.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Very easy makes wingmen dumber, but makes enemy dumber too and makes survival way easier. It's a tradeoff.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

Dimensional Eclipse really demands a weird sense of humor from the player at the start. What a curve ball.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to find something that fits my fancy!