Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613823 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: What are you playing right now?
Tried replaying Sands of Time. Discovered that I can't call myself Kakolookium as it's too long. Most disappointed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I played on a mouse and keyboard. :p

Worked just fine for me as well. People need to git gud.

Finished Duke Nukem 2.  Was decent, though the graphics are sometimes hideous.

Now onto the Metal Slug games from GOG

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Kids these days with their Three Dee and their Eich Dee and their Ten Eighty Pee and their rock and roll and their rap music and their You Tube and their not-breaking-their-hips...

...mumble mumble Whippersnapper.

* AdmiralRalwood puts away his cane
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Kids these days with their Three Dee and their Eich Dee and their Ten Eighty Pee and their rock and roll and their rap music and their You Tube and their not-breaking-their-hips...

...mumble mumble Whippersnapper.

* AdmiralRalwood puts away his cane

Not the 2D man, just the aesthetic. Duke Nukem 1 (or, Duke Nukum) was pretty clean but Duke Nukem 2 was often just too busy.  Particularly the prison levels, too much grey everywhere.  Most of the other level types were okay from what I remember.

Speaking of console ports, I got hit by a bit of Halo nostalgia recently, so last night I went ahead and reinstalled Halo:Combat Evolved on PC shortly before going to bed. Despite being notoriously bad at FPS games, I'm a bit surprise at how easily I punched through the first level, I remember having a harder time dealing with Elites on legendary. My best guess is that the closed corridors of the Autumn don't give them the opportunity to take advantage of their mobility, I'm probably gonna have a harder time on open ground & without the pistol.

I also had a bit of fun making spreadsheets for Heroes of Might & Magic 3 during downtime at work, based on info gathered of the heroes wiki. This new overhead view of the various units & factions gave me some interesting insights on the game, confirming some things I suspected & revealing others I've overlooked over the years, such as the fact that a lot more unit upgrades than I suspected were absolutely not worth it, or that only one of the Necropolis heroes started with the wisdom skill.

My 7 Days to Die character got nuked, so I've had to rebuilt it from memory using the console. I've dropped my plans to establish forward bases for the time being, the one tower I started in a wasteland town collapsed, so I'll have to review my way to build them. I'm thinking about switching to a more bunker-type style of building, while staying away from underground lairs, since that's what most of my main base is like.

I also got the urge fire up Supreme Commander while half drunk instead of going to bed one saturday night. I remember winning the game without too much trouble while fending off experimental nukes & bombers from the Seraphim AI player, despite being thoroughly unprepared for it (no air support, few anti-air turrets & only a handful of anti-nuke launchers). I fact, I only realized I had been attacked when I noticed the trademark impact decals from the bomber(s?) all over my base, and seeing the nuke launcher when I trashed its base with my own experimental gunship (although I recall thinking that these nuke strikes were oddly frequent).

Aside from all that, I'm still playing the usuals - Neverwinter, Overwatch, etc.

I've also been thinking about getting Kerbal Space Program, although I'm a bit concerned that I wouldn't have enough time to actually play it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Pillar of Autumn level is pretty easy even on legendary. The only section where elites really have any chance to dodge is the big, two-floor room near the end of the level. I remember I once did a speed run through that particular level and wasn't hugely slowed down from my time on easy.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yeah, that's pretty much the only place where I actually died a couple of times. I think I spent so much time in every other level that I just forgot that the first level was supposed to be easy. I actually had a hard time the very first time I made the jump to legendary, but now that I have the right reflexes for that difficulty level, it's a breeze.

Kind of reminds of some of the dev commentary bits in the Half-Life games, where they highlight the importance that environment has on AI performance. It's also a fun contrast to games like FS2 where the early levels are actually among the most difficult on higher difficulty settings.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I’ve just finished Rise of The Tomb Raider (PC) and Croft Manor DLC.
Is it me or it’s a litttle bit glitchy compared to the first game?
In the late game I sometimes had the enemies do the “T pose” randomly, fortunately it didn’t happen in the final plot portion and the bear at the beginning disappeared at a certain point which generated enough confusion to get me killed.
Other than that it’s a more refined and slightly less shooty version of the first game, there is still the problem that a lot of story is told in the collectables and is a bit predictable though the final moments work well enough but it seems to set up Lara’s future adventures as variations on Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, dealing with lost artifacts of immortality against the Trinity religious fanatics (which were set up by a collectable in the first game, by the way).
The addition of a friendly local populace is nice, it also allows for a sort of second epilogue in addition to the after credits scene if you decide to hunt for the remaining collectables and challenges after finishing the story.
In general there is a weird sort of compromise in this reboot series, while the challenge tombs and collectables (in short: puzzles and exploration stuff) are sold as optional they really aren’t: in both games plot and characterizations are largely incomplete or nonsensical unless you read all the diaries, records, etc (just to get an idea: in the second game there is a major line of dialogue that would come from nowhere for anyone that hasn’t got all the narrative collectables beforehand) and avoiding the optional resource colelctables, challenges and tombs leaves the players without precious skill points and pieces of more advanced weapons and modifications which are already critical at normal difficulty, let alone at higher difficulty levels. Fortunately I basically tried to get everything before moving on with the final part of the plot but I sincerely wonder how the story would look from someone that basically shot their way through the game counting purely on reflexes and the scarce resources and skill points you get by not bothering with all the “optional” stuff.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So Life is Strange: Before the Storm took longer to finish than I expected ... but that has more to do with the fact that it is actually good and resonated with me - It certainly is the promise of any prequel furfilled :)

Spoiler:
What I mean by "the promise of any prequel furfilled" is that meaningfully adds to aspects under-explored in the main entry and successfully re-contextualizes many elements of Life is Strange with damaging others. This is esspecially true to for stuff that has been an isssue before, e.g. why Chloe seems to be the only one who hasn't writtren off Amber or why the rest of Arcadia Bay would.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Yeah, that's pretty much the only place where I actually died a couple of times. I think I spent so much time in every other level that I just forgot that the first level was supposed to be easy. I actually had a hard time the very first time I made the jump to legendary, but now that I have the right reflexes for that difficulty level, it's a breeze.

Kind of reminds of some of the dev commentary bits in the Half-Life games, where they highlight the importance that environment has on AI performance. It's also a fun contrast to games like FS2 where the early levels are actually among the most difficult on higher difficulty settings.

Just wait until you have to board the Truth and Reconciliation. Those ****ers with the swords are murder on Legendary.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Charge them and hose them down with an AR. They have no shields, and the bullets seem to stun them. (Needler also works if you can get your hands on one).
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I am still playing a lot of Grim Dawn.

Quality ARPG goodness.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Came back to dota 2 after a break, find out its sort of pay to win now as you can subscribe to the game to get extra information before and during game. And in a game that's reliant on knowing counters and synergies, that's quite an advantage

Won once with gyro and lost twice with willow as my win percentage with the latter continues to plummet 

Well shucks, I thought DotA would remain the one MOBA with cosmetics as the only payable element. What kind of extra info to you get ?

*snip*

Just wait until you have to board the Truth and Reconciliation. Those ****ers with the swords are murder on Legendary.
Charge them and hose them down with an AR. They have no shields, and the bullets seem to stun them. (Needler also works if you can get your hands on one).
I clocked some more time yesterday, went through Halo and halfway through Truth and Reconciliation. Halo was a lot more challenging up until you get access to the Warthog, then shortly after the Sniper rifle. I actually managed to save almost everyone after that. The most difficult part was defending the first escape pod survivors & wait for Foehammer to drop the Warthog - I actually ran out of pistol bullets and had to resort to plasma weapons to snipe off the covies from a distance.

The first part of Truth and Reconciliation is fun as always, although I sometimes found myself wanting for the Arbiter's cloak the sneak around properly. The Sniper helps a lot but you still have to be careful not to get swarmed. The land battle at the gravity lift was the most difficult segment so far, I lost count of how many wave you need to fend off. I somehow managed to conserve nearly half my sniper ammo, I usually end up mostly dry by the time I get on board the ship. Also, is it just me or does the Plasma Pistol have more DPS than the Plasma Rifle ? (not counting the charged shot ofc)

The on-ship battle that followed went pretty smoothly, only one sword Elite had traded its shield for an invisibility cloak, the rest were Gold Elites, but since I was carrying a plasma pistol at that point, I managed to keep the marines alive for at least half the battle :P. Now on to rescue the captain !

Meanwhile, more HoM&M3 spreadsheet fun trivia : Did you know that the three most expensive armies in Heroes 3 are Conflux (52050 gold per week), Castle (51260 gold per week) & Tower (50920 gold per week) ? And that the cheapest armies are Stronghold (41950 gold per week) and Rampart (45730 gold per week) ?
Also, Conflux is a weirrrrd faction.
EDIT - strike those cost numbers, they're the sum of regular + upgraded unit costs
EDIT 2 - revised rankings, using the sum of upgraded unit production costs per week, is as follow :
Top 3 most expensive : Tower at 30800, Castle at 29580, Conflux at 28500
And the cheapest armies are : Stronghold at 24530 and Rampart at 25770
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:15:04 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Reach is the best halo.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Lorric

I've also been thinking about getting Kerbal Space Program, although I'm a bit concerned that I wouldn't have enough time to actually play it.
Half price on GOG right now.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I am playing through EPIC finally... unfortunately it can not withstand its name. It is not a very epic space game. At most from a technical perspective, if you see it that way.

I was forced to play the Amiga version, because the PC/DOS version have a black screen in the briefing of the second mission.

EPIC is a game with many BSG78 and Star Trek TOS assets... your carrier looks like the Galactica, but you are fighting against Colonial Vipers and Klingon Warbirds.
Well, unfortunately in the Amiga version you have to read the manual to know, what you are supposed to do in the missions. The clear mission briefing of the PC version is much better... especially because you do not have time to read the manual, because they are no menu screens and so the next mission begins right after the previous one.

Currently i am stuck in Mission 6 (of 9 as far as i know), where i have to defend my fleet against a big attack and have to kill enough enemies before the times runs out. Actually the time limit would not be the big issue.. the Fuel you have is. Theoretically there are several Fuel depots within a space mission, that refill your fuel and also your weapons... but unfortunately it is almost impossible to find them. They are shown on the radar, but not on the target computer as well this game have an 3D Enviroment, so you can fly up and down... but the game itself have only a 2D plane and no indicator if an object is above or below...
So you have to kill all enemies before your fuel runs out, because it is unlikely to find this fuel depots... and that make these missions quite challenging. Otherwise these mission would maybe even a piece of cake :)

This game is from 1991... i would say.. the first Wing Commander is much more epic gameplay wise... not to talk about, that WC is much longer than this 9 missions game where some of them are done in less than 2 minutes.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Playing Broforce, pretty fun but it's crashed about 20 times so far which cuts into the enjoyment heavily.

Also played through Metal Slug 1-3, X and let's say some games are better left to the Arcades.  Though #2 is still the best of the lot

Playing Broforce, pretty fun but it's crashed about 20 times so far which cuts into the enjoyment heavily.
Yeah, Broforce is super fun, but even after several years it still feels like an unstable beta, especially in 4-player games.

Now, for nostalgia gaming news :
- Halo Combat Evolved (PC) : Just arrived at The Library, which has given me some more time to reflect on the game. Firstly, it's still very fun to play. Despite a good dose of copy/pasting in level design, the missions themselves are quite serviceable, with a few nice touches here & there that add to the atmosphere. Second, it's rather weirdly balanced overall, especially on legendary. It's pretty amusing that the two most useful weapons in the game are the pistols, although there's plenty of games where that's also the case (*looks at Mass Effect*). Hunters are pathetic if you have access to a pistol or sniper, while Jackals are nearly as dangerous as Elites. Lastly, I finally understood why the game seemed easier than I remembered it ! Turns out that last time I only bother with head shots when equipped with a precision hitscan weapon (sniper rifle or magnum pistol) while nowadays I go for the the head not matter what, which A) deals more damage and B) briefly stuns the target, resulting in easy stun-lock in the weapon is fast and accurate enough (eg. Plasma Pistol & Rifle).

- Nexus - The Jupiter Incident : It's a shame this game never received a sequel or spiritual successor (that I'm aware of anyway), there's a lot of cool things I like about this game, although I wish the game was more friendly to the less "brute force-y" options, like stealth outside the stealth missions, artillery & missiles, strike crafts and commandos. Most of the time, the best loadout for your ship is anti-shield + anti-hull, with anti-shield + lasers + 1 anti-hull gun as a slightly more subtle alternative.

- Total Annihilation / Supreme Commander : Did a couple of back to back games this week-end for comparison, I was interested in how each title unfolds as the game goes on. SupCom is sooo much more turtle-y than TA at pretty much every stage, with siege breakers & game enders being ludicrously expensive compared to the effectiveness of shields, point defenses and anti-missile defenses. I think the worst offender is SupCom's T3 artillery building vs TA's Big Bertha-type building, the T3 is comparatively going to cost much more in time and money, and yet will be of limited effectiveness vs massively shielded bases, while the Big Bertha is horrifically powerful in TA's shield-less environment.

Yeah, Broforce is super fun, but even after several years it still feels like an unstable beta, especially in 4-player games.

The executable is even called "broforce_beta.exe" or somesuch. Kinda ridiculous.
I can't progress in the game anymore because it keeps locking in one of the hell-in-america stages. I may transfer my saves from my tablet to the computer to see if it's just a performance issue. Maybe my Asus tablet is under spec who knows.