Author Topic: Polies dropped on POF export  (Read 6106 times)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Polies dropped on POF export
Hi everyone,

I was just recently trying to export a new model.  Import went just fine, but when I try to save as a .pof, several polygons on the wingtips disappear.  The_E requested that I post this issue in here, so here it is.  I'm using the PCS2.1 Alpha from July 18, 14:39:17.  Here's the file I was trying to convert.  http://filesmelt.com/dl/GefjonDAE.7z  The_E said this was definitely a problem with the pof exporter, so if there's anything more I can do to help, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:35:36 am by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Polies dropped on POF export
Have you tried the latest version?  That's probably the best place to start. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Just did.  No dice.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Were they double polies? You would need some thickness to them or they might get merged.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Linky no worky. :(
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I also had this happen to me.
Lost some polies on the left engine of the Daegon.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
could it be maybe because the shield mesh imported absurdly smallish?

wait. WHAT?

a lot of stuff is scaled down by at least 50% in the dae you linked us all to.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Alright, update time. 

I checked the source file, and the faces in question were not doubled over with anything.  I noticed that in the version on my computer, everything was the correct size upon import to PCS2, but when I handed it to The_E, he reported odd scaling differences.  I checked source again and found detail0 to have been scaled up by a factor of 2.48.  I applied scale and rotation for the mesh (aka set it to 1,1,1) and attempted to import again.  This time everything worked fine. 

While it seems as if support for objects that have non-unity scale factors has been added, I surmise that something is going wrong in that section, as unity factors do not create this problem.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Actually I've seen similar issues even with 2.03.  Now for the great part it only happens on Nvida video cards and not even all of them.  Have not seen the issue even once on an ATI card.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
In working with the original DAE files from mjn's missiles, the Cyclops (tech and regular) is the one that seems to like dropping polies on me the most on final save to POF.

Even if I don't go through the trouble of smoothing and resizing. No double triangles. No mesh issues that I can discern with faces or vertexes having inversions. It'll just decide that it is going to give me a hole in the model.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Droid803

Yeah, saving to PMF or whatever is fine, its just the export to POF that decides to throw out random polies.
(´・ω・`)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I was also having this issue, but I found a way to reliably fix it. I use 3ds Max, so I use OpenCollada to export to DAE. In its options there is a checkbox that says something about triangulation. I usually leave that checked. However on the few models I had that got random holes, simply unchecking that box on export solved the problem. It worked every single time. So I'm not sure exactly what is going on through all the conversions, but it seems to me that the export to POF gets real picky about its triangles.

I also noticed the holes I got in my models weren't hole polygones, but literally just a triangle. That's what led me to the solutions.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Triangulation doesn't have to be done in advance of PCS2 right?  I thought it happened at some point automatically down the line.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Droid803

Thing is this doesn't happen on the older versions of PCS2, only the latest ones.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
When working on the Hatty in Blender, this happened a few times. The way I fixed it was selecting everything and pressing control + T to triangulate BEFORE any exporting was done, leaving no triangulation up to any exporter or PCS2.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken