Author Topic: Best Opening Cinematic  (Read 21371 times)

Offline Shade

There are some new games still which sport excellent cinematics. The WC3 and expansion cinematics are uniformly excellent, most Star Wars games also feature a nice set of them, and Oblivion's intro is also both visually and audially (is that a word? Oh well, is now) impressive. They may be getting rarer, but they are not gone yet.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

World of Warcraft is seriously freaking sweet.... Man, Blizzard does such good work with their cutscenes, I wonder why they just dont do the WoW movie in 3D. Anyway, here are a couple of ones that haven't been mentioned here yet.

Company of Heroes Yeah, yeah, yeah... another WW2 Omaha landing, but the way they go from FMV to ingame is pretty damned cool.

StarCraft Ghost. I dont think its an intro, but god Damn, is it a cool movie.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Z3rgl1ng ru5h!! kekekekekekeke!!! :p

Offline Cyker

My favorite one was Mech3 so far ;)

Ah, if it only worked on XP without a problem. :(

Yeah, it is a bit of a ***** to get working.

Additionally, LOTS of the missions are buggy as hell under 2k and XP - When I tried it (and got it running, which was hard enough on its own...), I couldn't get past the Op1Mis2 because of
a) The Goddamned Bouncing APCs of Doom (As soon as they touch a 'step', they fly up into the air at 5 bazillion MPH and don't come back down unless you wait for a few hours, at which point they bounce up again. They move faster than a rack of LRM20s!
b) The Cheating Bastard Cloaking Gun Turrets (Due to some obscure rendering problem, the gun turrets are not drawn and you can't hit them! They make sound and can happily shoot you, but you can't damage them, even with splash damage!!)

As I still use Win98, that's what I run it under (On a Voodoo2 SLI no less! :D It doesn't like my GeForce 6600GT... damned nVidia cutting off support! :(), and it still works perfectly.

For MechWarrior 2, I find the DOS version works great under DOSBox (And if you don't have an ISA capable machine and a decent ISA sound-card, that's the ONLY way you'll get sound)
There is NO POINT in trying to use the Windows versions, espescially the godawful Titanium editions - It's ugly and big chunks of the game glitch up or just plain don't work (No Enhanced Imaging!).

On modern CPUs, you can software-render Mech 2 at obscene resolutions anyway :D (Although you may need to tweak the DOSbox settings a fair bit to make it run smoothly at high res....)

It'll suck when I am forced to upgrade to a PCI-E system since I won't even be able to run so many of these older Windows games (No Win98 drivers... hell, no Win2k drivers either! :()

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Actually I only got the flying apcs of doom once, I managed to go to quite a part of the campaign swichting the video of the game from hardware to software, that ended MANY bugs but eventually not even that helped and I lost my pacience, you simply cant enjoy the game with this much problems. As for MW2, I have the original win95 cd, tried runing on XP with a fan made patch for xp (forgot who made it) but it doesnt work, everytime I try to go to actual game (the missions) it crashes. :(

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
World of Warcraft is seriously freaking sweet.... Man, Blizzard does such good work with their cutscenes, I wonder why they just dont do the WoW movie in 3D. Anyway, here are a couple of ones that haven't been mentioned here yet.

Company of Heroes Yeah, yeah, yeah... another WW2 Omaha landing, but the way they go from FMV to ingame is pretty damned cool.

I just watched this Ghost video, is there anywhere to download it? It way too well done

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Total Annhilations made me smile :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

My favorite one was Mech3 so far ;)

Ah, if it only worked on XP without a problem. :(

Yeah, it is a bit of a ***** to get working.

Additionally, LOTS of the missions are buggy as hell under 2k and XP - When I tried it (and got it running, which was hard enough on its own...), I couldn't get past the Op1Mis2 because of
a) The Goddamned Bouncing APCs of Doom (As soon as they touch a 'step', they fly up into the air at 5 bazillion MPH and don't come back down unless you wait for a few hours, at which point they bounce up again. They move faster than a rack of LRM20s!
b) The Cheating Bastard Cloaking Gun Turrets (Due to some obscure rendering problem, the gun turrets are not drawn and you can't hit them! They make sound and can happily shoot you, but you can't damage them, even with splash damage!!)

As I still use Win98, that's what I run it under (On a Voodoo2 SLI no less! :D It doesn't like my GeForce 6600GT... damned nVidia cutting off support! :(), and it still works perfectly.

For MechWarrior 2, I find the DOS version works great under DOSBox (And if you don't have an ISA capable machine and a decent ISA sound-card, that's the ONLY way you'll get sound)
There is NO POINT in trying to use the Windows versions, espescially the godawful Titanium editions - It's ugly and big chunks of the game glitch up or just plain don't work (No Enhanced Imaging!).

On modern CPUs, you can software-render Mech 2 at obscene resolutions anyway :D (Although you may need to tweak the DOSbox settings a fair bit to make it run smoothly at high res....)

It'll suck when I am forced to upgrade to a PCI-E system since I won't even be able to run so many of these older Windows games (No Win98 drivers... hell, no Win2k drivers either! :()

OK. I don't know what's wrong with YOUR copy/PC, but MW3 worked perfectly on my Celeron, and haven't tried it on the P4 just yet.

MW3 was also the very first game I bought when I got my Win98. I giggled and laughed like a goddamn maniac when the soldier got stepped on. It wasn't him actually dying or anything like that, but it was the fact that a 75-ton Battlemech stepped on a 150-pound human in this kind of game. :D

Plus I have 2 versions of Mechwarrior 2: the Titanium Edition (which I seem to have lost) and the version with the black CD. None of them work on this computer. God damned compatibility option doesn't do ****. :hopping:

I wonder how to get 'em working again, I don't think MW2: 31st Century Combat is DOS. =/

OK, my favs, in order:

Mechwarrior 3
Freespace: The Great War
Independence War (One of the best game-engine intros ever. :D)
Freespace 2 (although crappy, thanks to the 3rd party company, it did have some novelty to it. :D)
Quake 2
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
Mechwarrior 2
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:24:40 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Cyker

OK. I don't know what's wrong with YOUR copy/PC, but MW3 worked perfectly on my Celeron, and haven't tried it on the P4 just yet.

MW3 was also the very first game I bought when I got my Win98. I giggled and laughed like a goddamn maniac when the soldier got stepped on. It wasn't him actually dying or anything like that, but it was the fact that a 75-ton Battlemech stepped on a 150-pound human in this kind of game. :D

Nothing wrong with my PC *or* my MW3 - The bouncing APC and missing turrets are Well Known Problems with MechWarrior 3 on Windows 2k/XP. They tend to manifest themselves most on faster machines with faster graphics cards.
One thing that sometimes works is forcing the DirectX refresh to 60Hz and setting the graphics card features to max (Full AA, full Ansio etc., basically slow the ****er down as much as possible).
But either my system is just too powerful or I'm just part of the group that that hack doesn't work, for whatever reason.

But yeah, the intro is totally badass. :D Hell, even the mission briefings are! It's a pity Pirate's Moon sucked so much... :(

I do wish companies would put more effort into stuff like that... and sound too.
Most just get obsessed about the rendering engine and forget things like, oh, story... gameplay... fun factor... boring stuff like that :(

Quote from: Cobra
Plus I have 2 versions of Mechwarrior 2: the Titanium Edition (which I seem to have lost) and the version with the black CD. None of them work on this computer. God damned compatibility option doesn't do ****. :hopping:

I wonder how to get 'em working again, I don't think MW2: 31st Century Combat is DOS. =/
You need to get the original DOS versions of MW2 - That's the ONLY way you'll ever get it running on Win2k or better.
The Windows and Titanium versions won't work unless you use Windows 98, which won't even run properly on a lot of modern 'boards!
The only exception is (apparently) the Glide version, but thats only useful if you can get those hacked Voodoo drivers working to power a Voodoo 2 (Chance = 1x10e-99999).

Finding ISOs on the 'net is extremely difficult - Mostly they are the useless Windows or Titanium editions.

I just watched this Ghost video, is there anywhere to download it? It way too well done

Why, yes there is. There are also a couple of gameplay videos there, and another trailer. It's a shame that this game was canned. StarCraft is my favorite Blizzard universe, and I am just craving more SC goodness.... I hope to God that they are returning to the universe soon, Warcraft is just getting lame and boring these days.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Why, yes there is[/url]. There are also a couple of gameplay videos there, and another trailer. It's a shame that this game was canned. StarCraft is my favorite Blizzard universe, and I am just craving more SC goodness.... I hope to God that they are returning to the universe soon, Warcraft is just getting lame and boring these days.

Thank you! :yes: A real shame that it is ''on hold indefinitely''. I just wonder how a STC2 would've been, we'll have to wait even more now. I pray that Blizzard doesnt make something like World of Starcraft instead. :ick:

I giggled and laughed like a goddamn maniac when the soldier got stepped on. It wasn't him actually dying or anything like that, but it was the fact that a 75-ton Battlemech stepped on a 150-pound human in this kind of game. :D

:wtf:

I'll admit, I laughed too. :nervous:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That was one of the great dissapointments of MW4. The promised us since we had Godzilla we'd finally get Tokyo...but it didn't happen.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Well, at least MW4 has a beautifull intro. :p

Offline Cyker

Ugh... was that the one with the bouncing Mad Dog?

The actual attack was pretty cool, but the damned mech moved like an AT-ST being pwned by Ewok Logs of Doom :(

*skippy bouncy nodding dog yay!* instead of *STOMP STOMP STOMP 2xLRM20 DEATH!!!111one*

And what the hell is that turret under its nose... is that usually there on a Mad Dog?! It looks so out of place, like some big ugly wart on its chin :( (Was it even a Mad Dog BTW?)

I think it's hard to get a Mech to move 'realistically' (And I use the term loosely ;)), but they seriously needed to look at the Mech2 and Mech 3 intros... and the MC1 intro for that matter :)

But maybe I'm just being overly critical because I hate Mech4 some much  :nervous: :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It was a Vulture class mech,......

Abes Oddysee was well rendered intro-wise too. :nod:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I giggled and laughed like a maniac when the soldier got stepped on. It wasn't him actually dying or anything like that, but it was the fact that a 75-ton Battlemech stepped on a 150-pound human in this kind of game. :D
I found it nasty. DX
Well, at least MW4 has a beautifull intro. :p
Mad Dog versus a whole swarm! Too bad it's not anime, otherwise the 60-tonner would come out tops... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dunno if the IS ever makes changes to the Clan designs that they get... :doubt: if they did, then maybe that would explain why the Mad Dog got four Gauss barrels while the Vulture got laser arms and a chin turret... But I'm just making my own "theories" up... :lol: I wasn't that deep into the universe, although I did read the Endgame novel (and some of the MW:DA stuff before arcade gaming took over me)...

Back on topic, I think the MW2: Mercs intro was okay. But the video was rather dark...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
They dont make that sort of changes to the clan mechs. the whole thing is that on MW4 Vengeance all mechs got a ''new'' design, so to speak, some mechs became totally diferent like the Vulture and Hell Hound, Highlander, Fafnir(this 3 on MW4:Mercs). Many people didnt like it, some did, I did, because honestly the original designs of the majority of the mechs were simply downright ugly, now they actually look like mechs.

Another good intros are the ones from Gound Control 1 and 2 (does anyone ever even seen the expansion of the first one?) and Ace Combat 5.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Was that "Distant Thunder"? Where a Jet crashed into the lead characters house while he was cycling home from school, Killing his parents in the Process :D  :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.