Author Topic: Incredibly Basic Questions  (Read 4878 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Incredibly Basic Questions
Thanks. Is there a way to make it so a wing cannot receive orders from the player?

You have to set orders for each ship, so if you want to do it for a whole wing then select all ships in the wing, then right click, hit edit marked ships, and then click 'player orders' and uncheck the boxes you do not want. :)

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
Thanks. Is there a way to make it so a wing cannot receive orders from the player?

You have to set orders for each ship, so if you want to do it for a whole wing then select all ships in the wing, then right click, hit edit marked ships, and then click 'player orders' and uncheck the boxes you do not want. :)

Hey wookieman, I'm making a mission where Alpha wing is in the Nebula and I want them to investigate a disturbance on their radar. When they are within three kilometers on the disturbance, they will be able to target the disturbance and see that it is a wing of dragons. When they reach 2000 units from the dragons, I want the dragons to warp.

Now I could accomplish this using time oriented sexps, but if the player character jumps ahead of his unit, he could possibly engage them before the sexp activates. Is there a sexp that sets an AI goal upon certain units reaching a distance threshold to them? Edit: Nevermind, found a way.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:00:43 pm by soilder198 »
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower

Hey wookieman, I'm making a mission where Alpha wing is in the Nebula and I want them to investigate a disturbance on their radar. When they are within three kilometers on the disturbance, they will be able to target the disturbance and see that it is a wing of dragons. When they reach 2000 units from the dragons, I want the dragons to warp.

Now I could accomplish this using time oriented sexps, but if the player character jumps ahead of his unit, he could possibly engage them before the sexp activates. Is there a sexp that sets an AI goal upon certain units reaching a distance threshold to them? Edit: Nevermind, found a way.

Glad to hear you got if figured out!

Offline soilder198

Glad to hear you got if figured out!

Hey Wookie, quick question for you. In this nebula mission, several wings of dragons attack the convoy throughout the mission. Now, this works well enough, and most wings get destroyed, but occasionally one or two dragons manage to wander very far from the convoy while engaged with an allied ship

I've attached the following screenshot to show you how I'm trying to combat this. All the wings listed in the SEXP have orders to attack any ship upon arrival, but this changes their goal to attack only the Semtu when they reach too far a distance from it. I'm hoping this will cause the dragons to go back to the convoy if they stray too far. Is this a good way to achieve this goal? Should I do something else?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If you don't want the Dragons to be distracted by the first shiny thing that comes in their path, try giving them the No Dynamics Goals flag. Either through Edit ship window -> Misc or by the Change -> Ship Status -> alter-ship-flag sexp
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline soilder198

If you don't want the Dragons to be distracted by the first shiny thing that comes in their path, try giving them the No Dynamics Goals flag. Either through Edit ship window -> Misc or by the Change -> Ship Status -> alter-ship-flag sexp

What does that do, No Dynamics?

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
When you order the a.i. to attack something, they'll try and do so to the best of their ability, but if they're being attacked by something, they'll receive a 'dynamic goal' to take evasive action and to start defending themselves. If you disable them receiving dynamic goals, they won't just try and attack to the best of their ability, it will be literally the only thing on their mind.

In your case, if the dragons are straying too far from the convoy because they're engaged with an allied wingman, when you change their order from attack-any to attack, its possible they'll try to disengage from the fight, and focus on the convoy ship. But if the wingman then gets on their six and starts shooting them, they'll probably try and defend themselves again. If they have the no dynamic goals flag in this case, they'll just make a beeline for the new target and ignore the wingman on their behind.
Of course, that risks them becoming easy picking as they disengage from the wingman they were fighting before.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline soilder198

When you order the a.i. to attack something, they'll try and do so to the best of their ability, but if they're being attacked by something, they'll receive a 'dynamic goal' to take evasive action and to start defending themselves. If you disable them receiving dynamic goals, they won't just try and attack to the best of their ability, it will be literally the only thing on their mind.

In your case, if the dragons are straying too far from the convoy because they're engaged with an allied wingman, when you change their order from attack-any to attack, its possible they'll try to disengage from the fight, and focus on the convoy ship. But if the wingman then gets on their six and starts shooting them, they'll probably try and defend themselves again. If they have the no dynamic goals flag in this case, they'll just make a beeline for the new target and ignore the wingman on their behind.
Of course, that risks them becoming easy picking as they disengage from the wingman they were fighting before.

Hmm, that's worth considering.

I don't want to not have dragons in the mission, but it's starting to seem like, them being naturally evasive and all, it is inevitable that they will wander.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've not tried this but I'd suggest this instead. Have the default goals for the dragons be these,

stay-near Semtu 120
attack (all the allied fighter wing names)  40
attack Semtu 10

That should result in them staying near but still responding to attacks rather than acting like mindless zombies who ignore attacks on them. It may or may not be improved by use of no dynamic goals. But I've never tried doing this so I can't say what the actual result would be.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
stay-near Semtu 120
attack (all the allied fighter wing names)  40
attack Semtu 10
AI only process one goal at a time; they'll just be stuck "staying near" until/unless the Semtu is destroyed (or they get attacked and follow dynamic goals).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, I was wondering if the game would decide that stay-near required no action so they'd go on to the next one that did. Oh well.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]