Author Topic: RELEASE - Into the Halls of Valhalla  (Read 30120 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: RELEASE - Into the Halls of Valhalla
@Herra: Again, this is something that never occurred to me. But let me examine the mission and see what could the problem be. [EDIT] I checked the mission and concluded the following: The Alexis sitting idle could be because your engine somehow does not trigger its departure cue (which is has-time elapsed 0). Aries 3 and 4 jumping in too far is because Aries wing is supposed to arrive 700 meters near the LPC Scurvy. By the time Aries 3 and 4 arrives, the Scurvy had already been taken down. I hope to have fixed both of these problems and is uploading the update as of this moment.

@Darth: It looks like the version you're playing FreeSpace with is more sensitive to such small things than mine. I'm talking about FSO now. Looking into the problem now. [EDIT] I hope I fixed it. Uploading patch.

Upload finished. Redownload and retry.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 05:38:25 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Dysko

Just finished the campaign! Very great work!  :yes: :yes: :yes:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Cyker

Just started the campaign, love what I see so far! :D   :yes:

Got stuck on the ramming mission for a bit (Kept blowing it up by accident...  :nervous:), but it was a nice challenge ;)

I miss having the Ares fighter 'tho now that I'm further in... Lucky my 2nd fav. ship is also the most common one :D (Good old Myrm ;))

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
TopAce you need to test with 3.6.9 RC 7 or above because that's what most people are using.

That said if you're still having problems just catch me on ICQ and I'll be happy to help you solve any bugs in this campaign. I know it's been a long time coming and I'd hate for build issues to sink it. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yay !!   This is a welcome uplift for me today :)

Cheers Mr ITHOV author dude  :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Out of interest how much of the work on this campaign was yours TopAce? Cause IIRC you inherited it from Thor. Is this a complete redesign or do you still retail large elements of his plot/missions/mods etc.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Most of the plotline elements are Thor's. I only kind of inserted some new stuff that I thought would make events more mysterious and less predictable. I appended the most new elements for the first part of the campaign, but there are also some stuff added to part two.

As for the missions, Thor had some pre-Beta missions but I added a bunch of stuff to them. Mission 1 and 2 were definitely started when I joined the staff (Summer 2003 or 2004 perhaps). All the other missions are mine, at least it is me who FREDded them (the mission outlines were already given). There are a few missions that I inserted into the plotline: the Abduction and the debis field mission, and maybe one other. Problem was that when I was in the last testing phase, I noticed a bunch of inconsistencies that came about due to the fact that sometimes even I did not know what I was doing. For example, one mission called the player's squad the 77th Blades but in the next one, they were called the 100-odd Silver Scythes. A lot of characters suddenly changed their ranks from mission to mission, too.

This whole Nyarlathotep involvement was my idea, though. No wonder I screwed up this "the Nyarlathotep was destroyed here, not there." thingy. But you know what? I'm glad this is the only Derelict-ITHOV inconsistency people have spotted so far.

Tables were almost finalized when I joined. I only added two or three new weapons and wrote a tech description for them. I think I also changed some of their values to better balance the weapons (the gatling gun, for example, was as rapid as a Maxim and dealt as much damage as a Kayser. Some would love to use such weapons, but I think more would dislike unbalanced weapons. I know this since it wasn't only one player who complained about the SOC fighters I made for RR for being too strong.

As for the models, I tried doing some modeling, but I found it a better idea just to use already existing material. I picked three of four models and made some new ships out of them. I hope to have given appropriate credit for them at the end of the campaign. These ships were the GTC Olympus (called the LPC Galleon in ITHOV), the GTI Bretonia, and the GTD Raynor. I also used the FS1 Apollo model.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Okay, it seems that some of the problems I encountered first time playing the campaign were pilot issues. With new pilot, the ARgo transport started to move and another small thing worked also.

I played the campaign through, and I liked it. The traitor plotline ended rather abruptly, though... on the other hand, I can smell a sequel in an ending like that. :drevil:

But are the missions supposed to have no other background than stars? Am I lacking something? I do have Lightspeed's nebulas installed and they work on other campaigns.

Another "strange" thing I noticed is that in the first mission, the Deimos-class corvette does a 15 kilometres long loop before coming back and docking the docking ring. It doesn't break the mission, it's just a bit weird and makes the mission last a bit longer, but with time compression it doesn't actually matter - it's just weird. ;)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
All deep space missions are supposed to have backgrounds other than stars.

As for the Deimos, was it in the first mission? I don't remember the Rapier doing her waypoints matter in the mission goals.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Confirmed, first mission only ends after the GTCv Rapier docks the Ganymede docking ring, and without time compression it takes rather long time but it doesn't actually break the mission.

And the mission goal about protecting the science cruiser Socrates doesn't become accomplished when the Socrates docks the docking ring. When the Deimos docks, it launches a certain event (I don't want to spoil anyone) which ends the mission and triggers Return to base order.

The backgrounds aren't there, but that might be something wrong* in my installation. Anyway, when I created new pilot, none of the missions werer broken anyway - meaning that I could complete them and proceed to next mission, so any fixes are obviously welcome but not critical for playability.

*by wrong in this context I mean that something is different from the developer's installation.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
For the Rapier bug, I can only think of one possibility: either the Deimos or the Ganymede models we use are different and they have their docking points in different positions. Sometimes ships tend to do very long detours to reach a dockpoint. I know that the Deimos has a hi-poly version and most people use that. I did not because using hi-poly models slows down loading time, something not exacly good if you test your missions. It could be because of the hi-poly Deimos. However, supposing that all people use the hi-poly Deimos, it's surprising no one had this problem before.

As for the backgrounds, I checked it, all missions should have some kind of background. Make a new pilot and check another campaign. If it doesn't have background, then it's something wrong with your MediaVPs or SCP build. ITHOV doesn't use any new background, even standard [V] nebulae would do. If you have nebulae named like dnebx and nebx, you SHOULD have background.

[EDIT] I check it. It was because of the hi-poly Deimos. Now, the Rapier won't have to dock with the station, but only does waypoints. The directives trigger when she finishes her waypoints. I tested the mission and now it works fine.

I'm uploading the thing again.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:00:03 am by TopAce »

It´s a very good campaign. The only bug I had was in "The Exodus of Tania Australis." The "Horror" should destroy the station but it doesn´t. Additionally me and my wingman were able to destroy the "Horror" in that mission...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Hm... I knew about that but forgot to fix it. Sith happens.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hm... I knew about that but forgot to fix it. Sith happens.

I need that on a T-Shirt with a picture of qui-gon dead.............. 

SITH HAPPENS !!!!  = Genius  Muahahah
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
This is not my invention. It's Star Wars slang. Really.

Anyway, I fixed the Horror issue.

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Just finished, very well done :)  And the door's left open for a sequel  8)

I had a few problems in the later missions with CTD's when trying to select a different ship at the briefing stage, the debug build pointed at a possible .pof file problem but I could still play with the mission chosen ship/weaponry so it wasn't a show-stopper  :yes:

Great campaign.  never had a problem.  but the story had alittle flaw in it.    did that lucifer destoryer from delerict  *my god i can't spell  :-S*  but anyways.  was it destoryed in vega not in T.A.????

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
This mistake has already been pointed out. I will probably find a way to fix it in the future.

its all cool.  didn't know it was even pointed out.    :D   in other words great campaign.  looking foward to see the sequel to it

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Good campaign.

However, it suffers from the same problem as most conspiracy campiangs do - the conspitarors suffer from sheer stupidity...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!