Author Topic: Saving missions  (Read 1672 times)

So after reading the FRED2 guide and a few forum posts here... I'm a bit stumped. It's still not showing up in Single Missions when I try to save the mission I create. Originally it was trying to automatically save to my desktop. Then I saw multiple forum posts saying that it needed to be saved to Freespace 2>Data>Missions.

Currently the only place I found any folder/file path like that was-

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Freespace 2\data\missions   

Still doesn't show up. Any advice?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
1. [your Freespace directory]/data/missions would be the correct place to put your own missions. That's the only place where the game can actually find them.

2. However do you run Freespace 2 through GoG Galaxy or do you use Knossos?

Because Knossos does create a seperate Freespace 2 directory for its purposes.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Knossos caught me out too.  I don't have it to hand I'm afraid to check.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Knossos caught me out too.  I don't have it to hand I'm afraid to check.
Don't be afraid, Knossos won't bite :V
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Knossos. Do I save it in the general Knossos folder or a subfolder? The only subfolders I see are-

Certifi
Data
Iclude
Lib2to3
PyQt5

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
You're looking at the folder where the Knossos app is installed.  You should be looking at where Knossos stores FS2, which is C:\Games\FreespaceOpen by default.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline 0rph3u5

If you are using Knossos you can go to the "Setting"-tab.

If you expand the "Knossos"-header you should see "Data Path:". The path listed to right of it should contain the FS2-folder Knossos uses.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Thank you. I actually found that Games>Freespace Open first- what I think threw me off is that I see games>FreespaceOpen>FS2 , but then when I go into Data the only folders are Movies and Players. Do I need to create a missions folder to save missions to?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Yes.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

And just Title it Missions, or something specific?

Offline 0rph3u5

Just "missions".

If you are using Knossos and if you are going to do more than a single mission, I would highly recommend creating a mod using the "Development"-tab just to keep your files tidy. It can take a moment to set-up but can save you a lot of problems down the line.

Creating a mod doesn't make it public, it just gives you the a starting line for anything you might want to do and keeps any alterations you make to tables and models from breaking stuff in mods you downloaded.

==================