Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82476 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Somehow I doubt the server/Bukkit will be updated for 1.8 anytime soon... we can always replace the glass blocks later.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline -Sara-

Actually Jeb, the MC dev, was working with the bukkit team to help them be 1.8 ready last time I read. Probably to ensure servers can get into 1.8 on SMP right away. Also Qaz and RHX want to adapt the server world to smoothly go with 1.8's changes. Probably will go fast. :) Temp glass blocks won't hurt though.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
IMHO it will look better with bluish thruster cone :)
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The lava at least will provide light like an active engine. Maybe use water on the outside layer with glowstone blocks behind them?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:57:24 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, a bluish tone is a good idea. So the engine rear will need to be either glass-water-glass-lava-"engine", or glass-water-glass-glowstone-"engine". I'd prefer to still use lava instead of glowstone; it'll keep the glow looking dynamic.

We might need a small grinder at the bottom of the water pane to deal with any squid if they start spawning in there.

For this whole build, keep in mind that although the hull shape is set in, err.. well, stone, really (:p), we still have a huge area to fill in with whatever we want. To that end, I'd love to see form follow function - i.e., let's get in mechanisms we know need to be in certain places first before we fill in the rest with decks. So, the engine, docking ports, gun turret internals, and any large internal areas hinted at by the texture map all should be created first, probably followed by primary corridors and lift shafts, then the internal rail route (encased in a glass tube, remember), and then all the decks, rooms, etc.

If anyone feels like it, see about coming up with some prototype external turret designs we can look over somewhere near basecamp. :) Try to keep them so they work both horizontally and vertically. :p If you really feel adventurous, go measure how big the turrets are on the in-game Fenris and try to keep the turrets that size. :p Bonus points if the beam turret has a hole in the center for lava to flow out of. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I still haven't modified fenris  to fit with the new size requirements >_>
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline -Sara-

These ones work really well, layers in order from left to right ( LAYER | LAYER | LAYER etc):

WALL | GLOWSTONE or LAVA | IRON BARS | WATER (with gutter so it will fall only down and not leak out) or ICE BLOCKS

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ice will melt within a certain radius from glowstone/lava, no?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Yup... I think it was within 3 blocks. Torches melt ice blocks, too.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Even if obstructed by another layer of blocks?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just tested that - glowstone-glass-ice melts, glowstone-dirt-ice doesn't. :-/

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Probably with some other materials it might melt, too... Just not a good idea IMO.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
We definitely need some restructuring in the engine area, sorry, but it's just not right. The neck connecting the engine block to the middle section is just a square, while in the original fenris, it is more 'rectangular' and the side parts of it slope down. The engine itself has a similar problem, the top seems to be fine, but the sides are definitely too tall and to go as far out to the side as they should.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline -Sara-

Just tested that - glowstone-glass-ice melts, glowstone-dirt-ice doesn't. :-/

I had water between iron bar and ice, might be how it survived.

But the Fenris IS docked after all, wouldn't the engine subsystem be disabled? :lol:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:46:47 am by -Sara- »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
We definitely need some restructuring in the engine area, sorry, but it's just not right. The neck connecting the engine block to the middle section is just a square, while in the original fenris, it is more 'rectangular' and the side parts of it slope down. The engine itself has a similar problem, the top seems to be fine, but the sides are definitely too tall and to go as far out to the side as they should.

I don't know the ins and outs, but it doesn't surprise me that there are some areas that aren't exact. As soon as qaz/rhx can quarter the Fenris, I'll start on a level-by-level verification of things.

Offline ShivanSpS

Too much work to be destroyed by a random fighter armed with Hornets :shaking:, better call it a Leviathan :P

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Just guardian it. Lrn2FRED.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Too much work to be destroyed by a random fighter armed with Hornets :shaking:, better call it a Leviathan :P

We could do a side-project to build a couple of Nephilims on a bombing run, on the far side from the rail line, with the first volley of torpedos under way.  It'd be a pretty funny use of Minecraft's rendering distance, since you'd see the cruiser, go inside, and explore, completely unaware that your doom was approaching, until you take a look out of one of the starboard-side windows.

Offline ShivanSpS

Basilisks are even a higher threat for a Fenris.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

We could do a side-project to build a couple of Nephilims on a bombing run, on the far side from the rail line, with the first volley of torpedos under way.  It'd be a pretty funny use of Minecraft's rendering distance, since you'd see the cruiser, go inside, and explore, completely unaware that your doom was approaching, until you take a look out of one of the starboard-side windows.

Unless, of course, the Fenriathan has a nice Aeolus cruiser built on that side wiping out all the incoming fighters... :p