Author Topic: Buying the Freespace License  (Read 11629 times)

Offline wizz33

Buying the Freespace License
have you heard about blender.org  they rised 100.000 in aboud 2 months.

All we would have to do is get everyone game junkie in ONE ROOM, and say "Derek Smart wants to buy the Freespace license. We need money. Will you donate?"

They would all say "yes" in gusto, and then create an angry mob. Seriously, I believe that Derek Smart created the flame war, correct?

Offline WildWolf

• Todd M.
I realize I can't stop you from doing anything. If you want to try, you're going to try, and no amount of todd m. reality is going to change that. i'm just saying, that's the way it is. it's like when heorin addicts chase the dragon - you just end up addicted, living in a cardboard box, and begging some crackhead to spot you five bucks for a blow job so you can get your next fix.

that's no fun. am i rite?

Some people might get their kicks from it...

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Warning: I am not a business type, so take the following with a grain of salt:

It is possible to form a non-profit corporation, which could hold the money that anyone was willing to contribute in a fund.  If the deal never happens, we liquidate and everyone gets their money back (less whatever fees are incurred).  If we do get the license, well, we have the license :)  Obviously this doesn't address the issue with raising this kind of money.  And overseas investors may cause a special problem, I don't know.

A couple people have pointed out the "free blender" campaign.  That was done in the Netherlands, IIRC, so laws are probably different than in the US.

Just some things to consider.

Coincidently, my company (the one I work for -- I don't own it) just got bought for $435M in cash, which means my options should finally be worth something.  Not much -- it'll probably be an extra couple months pay -- but this might be the right time for me to invest in something worthwhile ;)  I can't commit to any kind of number yet, 'cause I haven't seen one.
your source code slave

Well it seems [V] is talking with Interplay, after I saw the post in the Hard Light area...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
WildWolf : one of the suggestions was to use the money in partnership with a big name developer (maybe even [V]) in order to pursuade them to buy the licence themselves.

Let me put it this way, if the fans of a game raise $50,000 dollars to buy the rights to a game you know you must have a market for it. That would help remove one of the big stumbling blocks that is preventing other companies from buying the game (i.e the fear that cause FS2 didn't sell very well that there isn't a market for FS3).  

So you see. Raising the entire amount needed to buy the license might not be important. Still if [V] are talking to Interplay we may not even need to do that :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The thing is, I can see both points of view.

Starting a riot will lead to multiple flame wars throughout the gaming community, that is neither healthy for HLP nor for the gaming community in General, I think that's what WW is trying to say.

As far as working with [V] etc would be concerned, that would be awesome if it DID happen, however, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular.....

IF [V] were to hold onto the licence or if a different company, say EgoSoft bought the license, we, as a community, will have to accept the fact that we have no more right to demand input into their FS3 than we do to demand input for Derek's version of FS3. That's ok, I've played lots of games I've had no input in, and enjoyed them ;) However, if [V] or the like DID develop FS3, I have a feeling they would be far more inclined to involve the community that Mr Smart is.

Or we can wait around for the Ferrium project if FS3 never comes out or is announced. :nod:

Originally posted by penguin
Warning: I am not a business type, so take the following with a grain of salt:

It is possible to form a non-profit corporation, which could hold the money that anyone was willing to contribute in a fund.  If the deal never happens, we liquidate and everyone gets their money back (less whatever fees are incurred).  If we do get the license, well, we have the license :)  Obviously this doesn't address the issue with raising this kind of money.  And overseas investors may cause a special problem, I don't know.

A couple people have pointed out the "free blender" campaign.  That was done in the Netherlands, IIRC, so laws are probably different than in the US.

Just some things to consider.

Coincidently, my company (the one I work for -- I don't own it) just got bought for $435M in cash, which means my options should finally be worth something.  Not much -- it'll probably be an extra couple months pay -- but this might be the right time for me to invest in something worthwhile ;)  I can't commit to any kind of number yet, 'cause I haven't seen one.

Get me the details of that, and I'd be willing to get some adult to cover the signing for it. Non profit is pretty easy here, IIRC, just get me the details.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm