Author Topic: Your opinion of Silent Threat  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Your opinion of Silent Threat
In regards to make myself look less like an asshole, I decided to make this here thread, asking what people really thing of Silent Threat.

I'll start:  I regard Silent Threat to be a fairly mediocre expansion pack, with fairly lame voice acting. (Can I say Derilect's is better? ;)  :P), only decent missions, and for me, none of the fun factor of the first game.  The newer weapons were rather lame, and the Loki, I find, is rather uneeded(IF I want straight on Acceleration, I'll go with the Valkyrie.  If I want a pure Dogfighter, the Ulysses works just fine.)  I can see the virtue of a recon craft, but the Loki aklso hass a structeral gaff that redered it useless as recon craft.  Why, Again?   What is the use of a Recon craft that can't work effectivly?  And was the GTVA so bankrupted in between FS1ST and FS2, that the military couldn't get a better interceptor?   The Zeus, on the other hand, make for a decent little bomber that dogfight ok, and can carry enough Bombs to threated or destroy FS1 era crusiers(IIRC, they also remain a significant threat in FS2, despite having paper-thin shields and armor for a bomber.)  The Zeu isn't a horrible little bomber, but at the same time, I also wish that the GTA just simply upgraded the Athena and gave it Tsunami capability.  Granted, the GTA might of simply not had this capacity by the time of ST, with the loss of their main industrial base. 

But, honestly, the problem(Sorry for long-winded-ness) I have with ST is the fun factor, when it comes down to it.  Very few missions have the fun, or tension of the first game, of which I felt ST tried emulating, and only got half-right.  The only missions I remember is the mission with the GTD Myrmidon, and you also see the Lokis for the first time.  The two others are the mission where you see a GTI mop-up team get into a tangle with the shivns, and the last mission with the Hades. 

The last problem I have with ST is the complete lack of closure that the viewer gets.  Hades gets blown up, the end?  No consequnces for blowing the largest ship in known space until the Collosus? 

Oh, and I supposed I should take the time and apologize to Scuddie for my actions in the previous night.  The word Idiot just got under my skin from the last time out, so I apologize. 

So, any thoughts?  Yay or Nay?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:10:05 pm by Desert Tyrant »

Re: Your opinion of Silent Threat
it would have been better if the hades was active, beams and all(it did have beams, right?), and you were put through hell to kill it.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
To sum it up in one word............

Anticlimactic
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
To sum it up in one word............

Anticlimactic
Exactly. 

Dark Hunter's opinion: meh.

It is almost impossible to believe that it was :v: that made this expansion. The missions didn't fit together at all, none of them were very fun; it seemed almost as though Silent Threat was an idea pool for weird missions they never got to do in FS1.

Good things from it: the Hades, and, even better IMO, the M10 music.

Here's hoping that ST:R really is close(r) to completion like Goob says, so we can see what Silent Threat should have been.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think everyone here thinks ST more or less sucked. The storyline had a lot of potential and there were two or three good missions in it (the first one and the pirates one were quite nice IMO), but the others were anywhere between mediocre and atrocious.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I am never going to play the original ST. I am waiting to play ST:R.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Wasn't ST made by fans and then V decided they would do something with them? Or am I just dreaming?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Wasn't ST made by fans and then V decided they would do something with them? Or am I just dreaming?
Dreaming. ST came with single missions designed by fans (I had two missions that were accepted) but the actual ST missions were from Volition.

The original poster is correct...ST was somewhat lackluster as an addon pack.  But we were desperate for more Freespace after the first one and this was a quick fix until FreeSpace 2 came out.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline m

• Fear m.
Quick fix?  Probably part of the reason fs2 didn't do as well as it could have.

-m
This is me; I'm always the same: Virus in the system; crash the mainframe.
Uprise; now fall in line.
Roll with the pack or get left behind.

It's a Masterpiece conspiracy!!!

-Taken from P.O.D.'s Masterpiece Conspiracy

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
I am never going to play the original ST. I am waiting to play ST:R.
It's at least worth playing for the un-killiable Hades komedy mission(No, I never had trouble with that mission, beat it the second time through on normal,)
Dreaming. ST came with single missions designed by fans (I had two missions that were accepted) but the actual ST missions were from Volition.

I'll be honest, that is precisly the only part of ST that I thought was exceptional.  Some of those missions were as good as some done by :V:  And I liked the whole Mandela Prime Arc, even though that gets invalidated by FS2.

The original poster is correct...ST was somewhat lackluster as an addon pack.  But we were desperate for more Freespace after the first one and this was a quick fix until FreeSpace 2 came out.
Gee, thanks. 

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Quick fix?  Probably part of the reason fs2 didn't do as well as it could have.

-m
Doubtful.  Nobody knew about FreeSpace 2 when it came out...thats what we were fighting against the whole time.  Truth be told I think Interplay was confused as to how to market the game.  Descent: FreeSpace they just marketed as a Descent sequel even when it wasn't...but they approached it that way and the game did decently.  Enough for them to say ok...make a sequel.  Unfortunately I think the tide was against Volition with FreeSpace 2.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
The thing I can't stand about some people anti-FS2 arguements is that it was advertised fine, yet they say the game sold badly because it, for l;ack of a better word, sucked.  Every other person in both the internet and RL I know except for the CICers flat-out LOVES FS2.

It's... a rather uncompelling arguement, to be honest.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'll be honest, that is precisly the only part of ST that I thought was exceptional.  Some of those missions were as good as some done by :V:  And I liked the whole Mandela Prime Arc, even though that gets invalidated by FS2.
That would be the campaign "Destiny of Peace," which was recently touched up by the FSPort team.  And yes, it is rather awesome.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
AH, man, that stuff looks awesome.  Too bad I can't play it  :(

(I've got SCP, but it does not work, because of some OPenAL crap.  Plus I can't reinstal or redownload it, because of the Windows Vista's patetned anal paretal control system(TM, patent pending)

The thing I can't stand about some people anti-FS2 arguements is that it was advertised fine, yet they say the game sold badly because it, for l;ack of a better word, sucked.  Every other person in both the internet and RL I know except for the CICers flat-out LOVES FS2.

It's... a rather uncompelling arguement, to be honest.

:confused:

Anti-FS2? Every single person I've talked to on-line or in real life who has heard of FS2 has said it was fantastic. I've never heard even one person say it sucked. Where do you hear this?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
The Wing Commander CIC.
EDIT: To clarify, Bandit LOAf absolutely hates FS2, saying that it is WC:Propecy without a soul.  Lehah said that he got the game for free, and he said it suck so bad, he wanted his money back. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:12:42 pm by Desert Tyrant »

then they obviously don't know what there talking about. FS2 is the best game. period.

Offline MT

then they obviously don't know what there talking about. FS2 is the best game. period.

Their criticisms are not without basis. Short of Snipes, the rest of the "characters are faceless and simply do not mean anything other than voices that tell you what to do. You are Alpha one and that's it. No name and no voice.

FS is story driven, not character driven. That is what that they dislike, story without a soul.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Obviously these are people with no imagination!  :rolleyes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions