Author Topic: Your opinion of Silent Threat  (Read 6799 times)

Re: Your opinion of Silent Threat
Snipe was cool. Silent Threat felt like a deathmatch. The first mission didn't gave such a good impression either. You just jump in and kill everyone, kinda lame. Then you had a long series of missions to kill people who witnessed the fight and anyone else that comes in contact with the survivor.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
First mission was an example of a story that could have been good, but was botched.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I have three friends who tried FS2 and didn't like it.

One has a hard time translating a 2D image (monitor screen) into 3D thinking and kept running into things. The second gets motion sick.

And the third one doesn't play games in single player at all, ever (aka: "who cares about plot?") and focused solely and completely on whether multiplayer fights were intense and immediately gratifying enough to his liking. At the time (late 2001 I think) FS2 was not exactly the most active of multiplayer communities.

However, the rest of those who I showed it to loved it.

As for Silent Threat... yeah. I'm not playing it again.

I'm waiting patiently for ST:R.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:01:04 am by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Feeling I always got from ST is that it was something to fullfill a need in the Freespace Community for an expansion to Freespace. No offence to :v:, it's sound marketting practice, why not, if you have a game that did as well as FS1, milk the cow just that little bit more?

I don't think ST was really thought out all that deeply, they just needed enough plot to keep you interested and to make the game 'unique'. The storyline idea was a good one, but as mentioned before, the missions sort of let the game down in places, some of them certainly felt a bit rushed compared to the polish of the original FS campaign.

Silent threat did have a nice soundtrack ;)

And, some very good stand-alone missions.

The middle missions (eg the pirate one) were a little more fleshed out. I got the impression that V was in a hurry to get the campaign done, so on the last mission they said, "Alright, let's keep the briefing/debriefing to a few paragraphs, put Alpha 1 against a Loki wing with 99 respawns, put the Hades for the endgame boss, and call it an epic mission". There was an article on Volition Watch a few weeks before Silent Threat came out; they predicted that ST was meant to be a rushed expansion pack to boost slipping FS1 sales. Kind of like Attack of the Clones. It's worth noting that ST usually came for free with a copy of FS1, that's how cheap it was.

I don't see why you guys are that hard on the campaign, though. Look for the positive points, they were there. I remember the first time I saw the Loki I thought it was the coolest fighter of them all. So high-tech, with that cool tiger-teeth logo. The campaign had some good surprises. But I was about 10 when I first played it, so I guess now that I'm older the memories have worn off and I have to join in the bashing.

And anyone who says the Loki is junk needs to play on Insane. Play Field of Destruction with your wingmen as Ulysses/Herc, and then as Loki. The AI does extremely well in that ship, for some reason, even if human pilots have better choices.

edit: Oh, and some pretty bad stand-alone missions, too. They basically accepted everyone they could within the 2-3 week development period.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
All I'm gonan say about ST - WTF was that with the last mission? Gimme a BOMBER dammit!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

one of the only good things that ST gave us was the Hades. the music was another.

:confused: It was only two tracks, and I didn't think they were that great.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
All I'm gonan say about ST - WTF was that with the last mission? Gimme a BOMBER dammit!
Uh... You got to use anything you wanted, even the Ursa.

Mustang, I do generally agree with your assesment of ST.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
First mission was an example of a story that could have been good, but was botched.

I agree strongly with that sentiment. The first mission's briefing sounded excellent. Get out there and kill everything that lives in order to prevent a second T/V war. Now if that isn't an epic first mission it's hard to imagine what is.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.

I agree strongly with that sentiment. The first mission's briefing sounded excellent. Get out there and kill everything that lives in order to prevent a second T/V war. Now if that isn't an epic first mission it's hard to imagine what is.
I liked the first mission, but I absolutely hated the second mission.  So braindead. So easy to any guy with an Athena + Synatic cluster bombs and Phonix v's.  And the Phonix is not a brilliantly designed missle

Offline Nuclear1

:confused: It was only two tracks, and I didn't think they were that great.
Au contraire.  The only two tracks I thought were better than Darkside were Marauder and Spook.  The ST music was excellent.

The missions, as everyone stated, were somewhat lackluster though.  Not even the lack of variety in mission design; the missions just had stupid bugs in them that could've been fixed with proofreading or playing the mission(I mean, a Jump Node 0 in a :v: mission?).  The three best missions in there were IMHO:
1.  The one with the pirates
2.  The first
3.  The last (in multiplayer only; I had some great times in ST multi with this mission)

The only redeeming factor in the missions was Justin Mills; his Destiny of Peace campaign and Manhattan Project mission made up the best FS1 FREDing I'd ever seen up until I played Awakenings. 
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The thing I can't stand about some people anti-FS2 arguements is that it was advertised fine, yet they say the game sold badly because it, for l;ack of a better word, sucked.  Every other person in both the internet and RL I know except for the CICers flat-out LOVES FS2.

It's... a rather uncompelling arguement, to be honest.
Its group think unfortunately.  The vast majority I think would be hard pressed to stand by.  But this is a messy issue thats best not brought up.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

one of the only good things that ST gave us was the Hades. the music was another.

I've never liked the Hades model. It looks like something put together with a bunch of odd lego blocks. Not Terran at all.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

I've never liked the Hades model. It looks like something put together with a bunch of odd lego blocks. Not Terran at all.

IIRC it used some Shivan technology.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:38:33 pm by thesizzler »

It has Shivan turrets... and I think it's suggested that it has Shivan Super Lasers like the Lucy (if not that, then some form of Shivan uber-weapon) that, at the time of its deployment to Jotunheim, hadn't yet activated.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
The ending was a let-down.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

but it's a good plot device (think PI)

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
The Hades' main beam guns are horribly placed.  I mean goddamn awfully placed.  2 top guns?  WHeres the bottom or side ones, again?

IIRC it used some Shivan technology.
It did.