Poll

Who would win?

Shivans
38 (82.6%)
Kushan
8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: March 19, 2002, 10:41:29 pm

Author Topic: Who would win?  (Read 11472 times)

Offline Pera

• Tapper
This is for Elorran, didn't wan't to quote the whole post:

Those are good points, but once again, you are forgetting one thing. You said that:

"And another point, due to the nature of 'no shields' the kushan have, their ships are made far more solidly built and thus have significanly more armour and integrity"

And:

"And lets be honest, no meson bomb can compare to the power of the siege cannon. "

As I said earlier, you really can't tell how powerful the Kushans and Shivans weapons are when compared to each other, as the ships also may have different kind of armour. So in other words, even if a scout can take a short hit from an ion beam, and a sathanas can take minutes of pounding from BFRed:s, it doesn't mean that the other universe's weapons have the same effect.

Now, as I also said earlier, there is one single way of comparing weapons(and at the same time, armour) strenghts of HW and FS ships, asteroids. In FS2, a couple of hits from a fighter weapon take out any asteroid, and capships can take dozens, if not hundreds of impacts from large asteroids. Now think about asteroids in HW, in that mission of original homeworld, 3 destroyers and numerous smaller ships had to shoot for a few second to take down a small asteroid, not to mention the larger ones.

About the Siege cannon vs Meson Bomb:

This is a bit science crap, but in FS2, meson bombs create a whole lot more damage that antimatter warheads. HW:CAT manual(if I remember correctly) says that the siege cannon fires a bolt of high-energy plasma. Sure, this is deadly, and would certainly heavily damage any ship, but it's not even comparable to what an antimatter warhead would do, not to mention the meson bomb.

So to put it the same way as you: THE SHIVANS WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH THE KUSHANS!!! READ IT AND WEEP!!!! ;7 :p
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yeah, plus the shivans are just more numerous by a fair lenght, and they have the Lucifer with invicible tag :D
her... pointless post :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ph33r the might of the invincible tag!! :D
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Meson Bomb vs. Siege Cannon

Siege Cannon - Massive burst of H.E. plasma with a large shockwave at the end.  Strike Craft(Fighters, Bombers, small animals, ect.) totally destroyed, Larger Craft(everything else) heavily damaged(if at 100% health).

Meson Bomb - Works by breaking down the bonds between Mesons within an atom there by generating massive amounts of energy that explode outward, ANYTHING within 3 kilometers is COMPLETELY destroyed.

FS2 wins on sheer destructive power.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Siege cannon 40 KM's range give or take some km's
Kill radius roughly 11 KM. Frigate sized craft destroyed at that range... with some rough quik tests:doh:
Bah who needeed the Colossus when all we needed was 30 Fenrises

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by Bishop Gantry
Siege cannon 40 KM's range give or take some km's
Kill radius roughly 11 KM. Frigate sized craft destroyed at that range... with some rough quik tests:doh:

I know, but those are bloody homeworld frigates! :) You just can't tell how powerful HW weapons are against FS ships and vice versa by just testing them in the other game. For all we know, Siege Cannon=Plasma, Helios=Antimatter. and Antimatter>Plasma :p

And where did you get those ranges from? Does cataclysm somehow show you distances? I must just have been blind...

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Okay, but kids you're forgetting the whole point:

Shivans-More ships, period.

Shivans win, no matter how many siege cannons you have the Shivans have more. End of line.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Shivans-More ships, period.

Shivans win, no matter how many siege cannons you have the Shivans have more. End of line.

That sums up my thoughts as well. Can't argue with 80+ Sathanas, can you? :D

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Alpha one can

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
But the Kushan don't have an Alpha 1 do they? :ha: ;)
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

they will as soon as TAP is done

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by NegspectahDek
they will as soon as TAP is done

Hmm, guess we'll just have to use some other callsign for the player than alpha one :p :D

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Tapper One? :p
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

I used the  move command to verify the ranges its shows the range... the Sige cannon can fire  even further but it starts to loose firepower then the more the range  becomes...

for all we know those 80 Sathanas could be the only thing remaning of the Shivans :nod:

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!

for all we know those 80 Sathanas could be the only thing remaning of the Shivans :nod:

Holy Cow, this is some theory!!!

Man this is actually rather compelling.

Think about it, what would be powerful enough to almost entirely wipe out a race, that has been exterminating civilizations for thousands of years. For our sake, I hope we never find out :nod:

And no, Kushan is not the answer.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I used the  move command to verify the ranges its shows the range... the Sige cannon can fire  even further but it starts to loose firepower then the more the range  becomes...

don't think so, otherwise I doubt they would have sacrified half of them ;) see, even sathanas are expendable ships for shivans :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Pera

• Tapper
I used the  move command to verify the ranges its shows the range

As in the words of our dear friend Smith, I'll be godsmacked! You know, I've actually played catalysms single player campaign through _four_ times, and I hadn't noticed that :D :yes:

The Apocalypse Project

Wasent it just four five Sathansa that went capish??? most of the Sathanas jumped out as  I remember it...

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Wasent it just four five Sathansa that went capish??? most of the Sathanas jumped out as  I remember it...

Well, they did jump out, but tell me one place where they could jump to avoid the supernova? I mean, even the Shivans need jump nodes to jump out of a system, and I doubt they would have had time to jump out to gamma draconis before the shockwave reached them.

Of course, if Petrarch was right about the supernova being some sort of a mega-jump node, then it's a different thing. Unfortunately, we'll never know :(

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Pera
I mean, even the Shivans need jump nodes to jump out of a system,

I'm not so sure about that. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.