Author Topic: Weaponry  (Read 11661 times)

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
What weapons could be used in a freespace universe context and could be implemented into the game? Here are the ones I've got so far.

Plasma Cannon - Creates a sphere of charged, ultra hot matter that is heated to the point that it becomes plasma and is controlled by a magnetic field which fires at the target. Both the heat and the force with which it hits can do an awful lot of damage.
In fs2 this is what terran turrets are, Plasma cannon=blob turret. A thick, short laser bolt in-game.

Railgun - Accelerates a large piece of heavy metal along a pair of electrified rails forcing the metal along at extremely high speeds. When it hits the kinetic force devastates armour easily causing hull breaches.
This could be a laser which it usually is (INFA, Blue planet) or perhaps a small missile with a long trail could provide a huge shockwave to suit it's impact force.

Laser Gun - Fires a beam of photons at the enemy which can quickly slice through armour.
Er, laser.

Rocket Launcher - Fires warheads at the enemy which explode on contact. In space they would have much dampened effect.
A swarm of small rockets.

Beam cannon - Whatever Freespace's one is.

Torpedo Launcher - Fires huge bombs at enemy warships which when and if they reach the enemy create a huge explosion with a greater payload than conventional bombs held by bombers. Fire from a long distance so have a large chance of being shot down.
Missiles with bomb flag, can only be held by large warships, have a long range and a massive payload.

Mines - Dropped by a freighter or even a bomber, these small objects are stationary and will cause an enormous shockwave and explosion when they are destroyed, they need to be difficult to see so that ships ram them.
A bomb without speed and last for a long time or a ship with very few hitpoints and a massive explosion.
 - another idea would be a stationary inferno or piranha which could be set off as a drop bomb as a pilot tries to escape from a wing of hostiles of hit tail.
-sushi for the second bit

Ship to ship missiles - A swarm of bombs fired from multiple turrets that unleash many bombs that are similar to bomber warheads but cheaper, quicker, and less powrfull. A similar shockwave to current bombs. Moderately sized trails. As fast, at least, as a fighter without afterburners. Very numerous.
- Mikes

CAPTOR mines - A cargo container that fires one or two bombs such as cyclops or trebuchets before either blowing up or staying still as a physical blocade. Create weapon and a cargo container.
- General Battuta

Sentry guns - not an actual weapon but a cruiser, corvette or freighter drops these which have a range to cause pause when a ship tries to fly past. A missile sentry gun would be great. A stationary ship with turrets
- Trashman

Coilgun - Magnetic coils hurl a fairly large bomb at a good speed. Gameplaywise it would basically be a high-velocity fusion mortar or possibly a giant flak gun.
- Oent, That's the sort of thing I want, good-on-ya!

Kamikaze ships - A fighter, possibly drone, that holds (a) large explosive(s) which detonate as the fighter crashes into or reaches proximity to it's target. Though some may simply be normal fighters that use their own payload and kinetic energy rather than containing explosives. Obviously they are better en-masse, with faster engines, larger explosives and much less effective if they simply bounce of the hull like normal fighters would rather than exploding. They are like huge bombs that: take many, many times more firepower to take out, do (most likely) more damage, are (probably) faster, are maneuvarable, are harder to hit, will swerve to another target if the initial is destroyed, and are reusable if they fail to hit their target and aren't destroyed. Negatives are that they are more expensive, larger (harder to store and larger targets), and require a better AI or even a human pilot. To make them is very simple, get a fighter, modify it if you want to, tick "kamikaze" flag and give it a damage power, and send them to crash into a target.
- Snail
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:52:09 am by Killer Whale »

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Okay, we've got rail-guns, lasers, rocket launchers to some extent (aka missiles) and torpedo launchers (check the Fenris). Plasma cannons sound cool though.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Plasma Cannon = Terran Turrets; blobs

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oh I see (skim-read your post).

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Mines sound interesting and possible
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Mines sound interesting and possible

They've been done: See Cardinal Spear for FSPort.

Offline Mikes

What's missing are Capital Ship missiles ala Honorverse. (Not necessarily Laserheads, Nukes or conventional weaheads would do just fine too for that purpouse).

Basically something between a lumbering torpedo and an actual fighter to fighter missile, a "ship to ship" missile would be designed to be launched in large quantities to deliver significant warheads to enemy capital ships.
The main difference to "Torpedos" would be speed and range i guess... In Freespace terms, you would basically have to concepualize a weapon system at least as powerful as Freespace Beamweapons, in missile form, that launches large salvos of quite fast missiles (i.e. at the very least significantly faster than fighters without afterburners), some of which may be intercepted, but which are much... MUCH harder to intercept due to speed and quantity, than current torpedos or bomber launched warheads are.

In gameplay terms it would have a little potential to present capital ship combat as something other than "Take out these Beam weapons now alpha1!" ;) Nothing groundbreaking, but possibly a little flavor.

What i disliked a bit, was the huge overemphasis on single (or double, small quantities anyways) Torpedos / "Skip Missiles" in Wing Commander and even worse, in Starlance, that were basically just carrying a sign around saying "player intercept this or you lose!". I.e. a suggestion of "Capital Ship Missiles" in Freespace would be more of an integrated weapon system, with large volleys of missiles being traded and capital ships being able - to an extent - defend themselves from a percentage of them with their own armament of flak/AF beams etc. And of course they would have to be "visible"... for example with large drive signatures and moderately sized "trails" so you actually knew they were there... and quite visible impact explosions like current bombs/warheads already. And of course they would have to be somewhat spread out across the enemy ship and not appear all on the same spot ;)

Just my 2cent on potential FS weapons anyways.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:22:06 am by Mikes »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Railguns are included in ST and ST:R; all you have to do is force your guns to them. I wouldn't recommend doing so, however, because it'll almost certainly be sh-

* Androgeos blows up.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
The only good thing about the Cardinal Spear are (IMHO) tha mines (FREESPACE SO FRICKIN LACKS MINES), and the blob ubercannon you get in mine-tha-node mission
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I.e. a suggestion of "Capital Ship Missiles" in Freespace would be more of an integrated weapon system, with large volleys of missiles being traded and capital ships being able - to an extent - defend themselves from a percentage of them with their own armament of flak/AF beams etc. And of course they would have to be "visible"... for example with large drive signatures and moderately sized "trails" so you actually knew they were there... and quite visible impact explosions like current bombs/warheads already. And of course they would have to be somewhat spread out across the enemy ship and not appear all on the same spot ;)

Sounds a lot like BSG Basestar vs battlestar scenarios :D

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
The only good thing about the Cardinal Spear are (IMHO) tha mines (FREESPACE SO FRICKIN LACKS MINES), and the blob ubercannon you get in mine-tha-node mission

Dogfighting with that blob cannon = BAAAAAAD idea.  :nervous:
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What's missing are Capital Ship missiles ala Honorverse. (Not necessarily Laserheads, Nukes or conventional weaheads would do just fine too for that purpouse).

Basically something between a lumbering torpedo and an actual fighter to fighter missile, a "ship to ship" missile would be designed to be launched in large quantities to deliver significant warheads to enemy capital ships.
The main difference to "Torpedos" would be speed and range i guess... In Freespace terms, you would basically have to concepualize a weapon system at least as powerful as Freespace Beamweapons, in missile form, that launches large salvos of quite fast missiles (i.e. at the very least significantly faster than fighters without afterburners), some of which may be intercepted, but which are much... MUCH harder to intercept due to speed and quantity, than current torpedos or bomber launched warheads are.

In gameplay terms it would have a little potential to present capital ship combat as something other than "Take out these Beam weapons now alpha1!" ;) Nothing groundbreaking, but possibly a little flavor.

What i disliked a bit, was the huge overemphasis on single (or double, small quantities anyways) Torpedos / "Skip Missiles" in Wing Commander and even worse, in Starlance, that were basically just carrying a sign around saying "player intercept this or you lose!". I.e. a suggestion of "Capital Ship Missiles" in Freespace would be more of an integrated weapon system, with large volleys of missiles being traded and capital ships being able - to an extent - defend themselves from a percentage of them with their own armament of flak/AF beams etc. And of course they would have to be "visible"... for example with large drive signatures and moderately sized "trails" so you actually knew they were there... and quite visible impact explosions like current bombs/warheads already. And of course they would have to be somewhat spread out across the enemy ship and not appear all on the same spot ;)

Just my 2cent on potential FS weapons anyways.

These are in War in Heaven.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well.. static (contact) mines are pretty useless in space tbh - no shockwaves, target would need to be almost touching the mine even if it was nuclear mine.. however as in freespace as physics are already borked they might work just fine. Something like some of the modern 'mines' which actually launch a weapon (fast torpedo) at the target would be far more useful (ie. better, deployable sentry guns).

Use of armor on ships... It just makes no sense what so ever that large capships can be damaged by small fighters.. IMO ships of corvette/frigate should already have armor to withstand anything standard fighter cannons can throw at them while bigger ships could have even stronger armor. Though as FS and most of its mods are fighter centric this is something that is rather unlikely to be seen (though it is possible to do).

EDIT: Coming to think about it... Shield and armor penetrating weapons a la Sniper Cannon of I-W 2 or meson weapons of traveller universe. Things which shoot subatomic handwavium particles that materialize and detonate only inside the target...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:36:47 pm by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Until you try hitting something 100m away from you with it... :p
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
CAPTOR mines would be awesome. Actually, you can FRED them right now using self-destructing cargo containers (or whatnot) and create-weapon.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Mine-wise, I've thought it would be cool to have mines that are basically a stationary version of the "Inferno" missile, where you detonate them by pressing the trigger again. Perfect for dealing with ships on your tail. :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
CAPTOR mines would be awesome. Actually, you can FRED them right now using self-destructing cargo containers (or whatnot) and create-weapon.

Wasn't that done in WarzoneDerelict? There was this one mission where the GTCv Esher had its engines blown up and then you had to avoid flying too near cargo containers masquerading as anti-fighter mines...

Mine-wise, I've thought it would be cool to have mines that are basically a stationary version of the "Inferno" missile, where you detonate them by pressing the trigger again. Perfect for dealing with ships on your tail. :)

Well, if you can set the velocity of an Infyrno or Piranha missile to 0 m/s, that might help. ;7
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:38:16 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The minefield with the Escher was in Derelict.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The minefield with the Escher was in Derelict.

Thanks for the pointer, Battuta. Fixed my post. Expect me to mix Warzone with Derelict up for a very long time. :D
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Wasn't that done in WarzoneDerelict? There was this one mission where the GTCv Esher had its engines blown up and then you had to avoid flying too near cargo containers masquerading as anti-fighter mines...

But ultimately required luring you into them, which obviously can't be managed very often. They were more like contact (or rather WW2-type Acoustic/Magnetic which operated on blast force to damage nearby ships). The CAPTOR type has greater merit but there's actually still a place for contact versions in FreeSpace, considering the limitations of jump nodes. (Though the situations in which such a total closing of a node, not even attempting recon through it, would be useful are very very few.)

I'm rather enamored of the concept of long-range heavy missiles myself, such as my conceptual Tyr surface-to-space missile for defending against a Shivan bombardment, and shorter-range multiple bomb launchers like I envisioned arming an anti-juggernaut corvette with; salvo a hundred and twenty Helios at something in one go and you're going to make contact with at least fifty; that ought to be enough to make even a Sathanas think twice. (Give it the ability to axial roll and launch a second wave and you might be able to kill the thing.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:24:18 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story