Author Topic: Weaponry  (Read 11662 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Er, Trivial Pshycic, would they cause a massive chain reaction if there was an explosion within the field?
Obviously it would need to be coded to avoid such a situation, or perhaps making it a feature for smaller fields to ensure that ships near the initial explosion can't escape.  It would need to be a table option for specific types of mines.

Also, from a realism/practicality perspective: Minefields aren't designed that way. You don't want a chain reaction or your minefield is ruined. Of course, real minefields aren't meant to do serious damage to the enemy force, just to act as a strong enough deterrent that the enemy will go the long way around.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
No one have any other ideas? I dunno, an ultra-thin anti-matter beam fired at a target which causes the target to be severely damaged and creates a massive shockwave?

Offline Qent

What about good old cannons? By the way, after playing Cardinal Spear I thought putting your secondaries (the huge Plasma Cannon) in your primary banks and your ballistic primaries (Vulcan) in your secondary banks was rather clever.

No one have any other ideas? I dunno, an ultra-thin anti-matter beam fired at a target which causes the target to be severely damaged and creates a massive shockwave?

Can beams have shockwaves?

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Well, I tried giving the hecate some Moded Infyrnoes for "super flak" but it wont shoot them.  Must be the "remote detonate flag" because they will turn and watch me menacingly but wont shoot.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Qent

Actually, it looks like it's the "Spawn" flag. Removing the "Remote Detonate" flag didn't help, but when I removed the "Spawn Cluster Bomb Baby" part, it acted like a regular missile. I guess we can't have flak with submunitions. :( I also tried giving standard flak "Spawn Cluster Bomb Baby, 5" which was funny because the Hecate took itself down below 50% hull in a few seconds. :D

Edit: Also, if you're looking for something weighty for the Hecate to shoot, Infyrnos are way too small. You'd need the Helios model at least for it to be barely convincing.

I tried giving a beam a shockwave, but nothing happened. Although I guess if it's meant to be a powerful beam then you could just FRED it in.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:29:32 pm by Qent »

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I tried giving the hecate some Moded Infyrnoes for "super flak" but it wont shoot them.  Must be the "remote detonate flag" because they will turn and watch me menacingly but wont shoot.
I remember someone saying that cluster spawning weapons on capships would only fire if there is more than one ship attacking or something like that.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
No. I believe only missiles/bombs can. So you might have a rapid fire missile which looks like a continuous beam. But for it to only last so long... dunno. I was really just trying to get people to start thinking of something again.

Just turn the Flak guns into missile launchers and make them fire infyrnos, that would decimate bomber wings pretty bad I'd say.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I remember someone saying that cluster spawning weapons on capships would only fire if there is more than one ship attacking or something like that.

Observational evidence of too many hours attacking Deimos corvettes says yes.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Yeah.. turret fired normal spawn weapons will not home, and will fly only at reduced speed before detonating. And are only fired if there are enough ships attacking the turrets parent ship.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
So if you attack a Lilith alone and it mounts Piranhas, it won't fire them? :confused:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Qent

No. I believe only missiles/bombs can.
I have given shockwaves to primaries and flak, and they both worked.

...turret fired normal spawn weapons will not home, and will fly only at reduced speed before detonating.
By "not home" I assume you mean that they shoot out the top of the turret instead of out its barrels, which is very annoying. I am not sure about the speed, though. Piranhas and Infyrnos are very slow to begin with.

So if you attack a Lilith alone and it mounts Piranhas, it won't fire them? :confused:
Apparently so, although just two fighters is enough to make them fire.

So I just tried modifying an Infyrno to have 360-degree heak seeking, and it worked well. It seems promising for a long-range anti-fighter missile, possibly for that CAPTOR mine.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Or you could try using 'smart spawn' weapons flag... in 3.6.11...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Uh, Wanderer, we haven't even released the 3.6.10 executable yet... :wtf:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
How about a beam cannon or primary that does severe EMP damage. Like OGame's Ion Cannon.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Uh, Wanderer, we haven't even released the 3.6.10 executable yet... :wtf:

3.6.11 is already being used for development.

Offline Qent

How about fighter- or bomber-mounted beams for killing capships or fighters? I think TBP has some of those.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So does Inferno, I think. They should work fine.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah ,for the flawlessly working fighter beam it's best to check Shivans! v2.1 mod ,it has the beam cannon that should be used as template for any other fighter beams (it's the only one I seen having warmup and warmdown and unaffected by "overcharge" effect).
Tides Of Darkness and Stand Against The Night demo also use fighter beams ,but they can be "overcharged" (that means if you hold down the trigger multiple beams will start firing unless you run out of energy)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Keep in mind that there's a difference between a mass driver and a beam cannon. ;)
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Who said anything about mass drivers? PERPLEXION.