Poll

Should I Make Derelict ][ [Forget about Copyright]?

Yes.  Derelict Fever Lives Again.  I will Offer Help
12 (21.4%)
Yes.  Caught Between a Dichotomy of Helping and Not Helping
23 (41.1%)
No.  We have enough Campaigns
4 (7.1%)
No.  Just No.
17 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: April 08, 2002, 08:01:33 am

Author Topic: Derelict ][ Plans to See the Light [Again]  (Read 11598 times)

Derelict ][ Plans to See the Light [Again]
Originally posted by Stryke 9
It's kinda hard for language to be extreme in that way nowadays, anyhow. I mean, short of racial slurs, what really shocks people anymore? I tell you; it's rough being a public nuisance.

Racial slurs dont really insult me.  They shouldnt be used, but still.  The only thing i can remember being truly offended by are boybands. :mad:

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Originally posted by beatspete

Racial slurs dont really insult me.  They shouldnt be used, but still.  The only thing i can remember being truly offended by are boybands. :mad:

pete

Just out of curiosity, what race are you? Vasudan? ;)

Offline runes

i loved Derelict, and can't wait for this. i am... imensely happy.

Originally posted by killadonuts

I agree, if they want to make a Derelict sequel I think it should be done by Agatheron and Kellan. The creators of the original Derelict.

Probably true, but they're just a tiny bit busy with BWO now I'm sure.  Maybe they'd be available for a little consulting here and there, but I doubt they'd have time to take part in another big project.  

Anyway, that would just make BWO go even SLOWER than it is already :D

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
derelict 2 is vey bad idea look the orginal derelict story
in was  derelict SSD Lucifer class ship in tahat campaing
this was reason for name
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Nuclear1

You're right about that...... but that quickly changed. The Nyarlathotep became active a little early in the campaign and it wasn't a derelict anymore. :ha: :D

What I'd really like to see is what would happen to the Auriga...... That little bugger....
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

I just don't think it's right to sequel a campaign that you diddn't even do.
I would be kind of pissed if someone made a sequel to a campaign I made.
But that's just me
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Well, I also like Derelict, and didn't see anything so rediculusly impossible that it didn't make sense.  And sure, make a campaign, but don't call it Derelict!!!!  My campaign ITHOV uses Derelict as history, and some of the events/characters/places are being revisited, but it is a seprate story that could stand on its own.  I just liked the idea of trying to create a continuity between the campaigns.  That's one reason why I feel Derelict, Warzon and BWO are/will be great, because they seem like the next step in the FS story.

by the way, Mackie is comic genius!
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and for the record BWO is, in fact, Derelict 2, made by the origonal creators (even if only one of them is still active)
it is also Warzone 2, made by the origonal creator
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline diamondgeezer

Long campaigns struggle to maintain... I suppose intensity is the word I'm looking for. Short campaigns, say 4 - 10 missions, with all the bells and whistles are the way forward, as I shall prove oh so soon...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Isn't this thread pretty old? :p

Short campaigns, say 4 - 10 missions, with all the bells and whistles are the way forward, as I shall prove oh so soon...

I quite agree there, but does 15 count (10 of them being already finished)? ;7

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
how is Derelict 2 coming along anyways? did it start? where is it?  am i lost, or am I lost?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
BWO is comeing along nicely, thank you
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
*Duely noted*

And!

Excellence
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
I'm looking forward to it.:)

You got a web site?

Offline Fry_Day

Pulling this conversation waaaay back, I really liked the tons of chatter in-game, but it's hard to reaed everything while paying attention to the game, and it also causes me to occasionally miss messages. Go voice acting in BWO!
the only problem, AFAIK, is that no compression can be used on speech, so the filesize could get nasty, couldn't it?

Originally posted by Fry_Day
Pulling this conversation waaaay back, I really liked the tons of chatter in-game, but it's hard to reaed everything while paying attention to the game, and it also causes me to occasionally miss messages. Go voice acting in BWO!
the only problem, AFAIK, is that no compression can be used on speech, so the filesize could get nasty, couldn't it?

First, I believe the FS2 audio files (*.wav) are compressed with ADPCM. Second, if that's not good enough, there is always the option of decompressing the files (eg, decoding Ogg or FLAC or some such) on the user's machine after downloading, using an external program (an installation program, perhaps).

Offline Fry_Day

Only Music files are compressed. All the sfx/speech I looked at weren't.
Lossless compression doesn't compress nearly as good as lossy, especially speech (Since speech is mostly lower frequency, almost nothing is lost (Since lossy compression methods loose the most info in high frequencies (Which is why in you can usually see compression errors in shades of blue in video/still images (for example, the FS2 intro), and not in other colors, and why lowering the highest frequency bar in the WinAMP equalizer will not make any difference to your ear when playing MP3s)), and I wanna see you doing an installer that decompresses OGGs into wavs. It's probably not that complicated, but every coder probably has better stuff to spend his time on.

Edit: My, My. Didn't I get a bit off-topic there :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why not just get the SCP to put in support for mp3 and ogg and be done with it :)
 It's something that will probably be done at some point anyway :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by karajorma
Why not just get the SCP to put in support for mp3 and ogg and be done with it :)
 It's something that will probably be done at some point anyway :)

I wouldn't recommend putting in MP3 support. You now have to pay money for decoders too, so if you do, don't be surprised to have Thompson come knocking...