Author Topic: What do you think your ideal fighter(/bomber) would look like?  (Read 5057 times)

What do you think your ideal fighter(/bomber) would look like?
This is kind of cheesy and I'm sure it's been done before, but whatever. If you could design a fighter to perfectly fit the playstyle you prefer (well, okay, you pretty much can with a bit of modding, but let's disregard that for now), what would it look like? I mean mostly stats, but if you want to name it or describe the appearance or whatever you can do that as well. Keeping it fairly balanced would be good.

For mine:
A light space superiority fighter. Extremely high maneuverability -- on par with something like the Pegasus or the Loki. In particular, it possesses excellent roll speed. Armor and shields are minimal. It has one medium-to-small (16-Harpoon) secondary bank.

What makes the craft shine is its primary weapons. It has six guns, all part of the same bank, which gives it slightly more firepower than even the Erinyes. The energy capacity is also unparalleled, although the recharge speed is only average. (It's designed for spurts of activity -- you go in, fight for a while, and when you run out of energy, retreat and divert power to your primaries to recharge them.)

It has a thin target profile. Maybe shaped a bit like a cross between the Athena, Ulysses, and Perseus -- a broad, winged shape, swept forward, but with big heavy engines.

(As a side note regarding balance: this might seem somewhat overpowered, but here's the thing -- heavy fighters in FS2 tend to be fairly OP compared to their lighter counterparts. Consider: the Ares has excellent primaries, secondaries, and armor. The only thing it lacks is mobility, whereas a light fighter like the Loki gives up secondary capacity, primary capacity, and survivability for its agility. Admittedly, heavy fighters' lack of speed is something of an issue, which I guess is why the Perseus is so popular despite its unimpressive primaries and sluggish handling (by my standards, anyway). However, combine the lower combined stats with the mission design mostly revolving around taking down wings of heavy bombers, and that's how you end up with heavy fighters being just more effective than anything else. On the topic of my design, though: to think of it another way, this fighter is a Pegasus that gives up its stealth for a set of heavy cannons.)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: What do you think your ideal fighter(/bomber) would look like?
It already exists and it's called the Erinyes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.

BP's UEF Izra'il. All I need.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

SF Dragon. What else could you possibly want?
Also this:
As a side note regarding balance: this might seem somewhat overpowered, but here's the thing -- heavy fighters in FS2 tend to be fairly OP compared to their lighter counterparts

Is most definitely not true on all difficulties. As difficulty goes up heavy fighters get ****tier and on insane they're only good for spamming trebs against derpy retail AI. Their lack of manoeuvrability means their primary banks are only good for shooting at bombers or capships and their armor or shields won't save them when you can't get rid of a single fighter on your ass.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:50:32 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Nice topic!  :yes:

I actually created one while ago, but never shown it to the community yet. This is a Vasudan High performance Interceptor I created as one of two advance fighters for the GTVA.

No name for this yet, but here it is:

https://p3d.in/FPdDO

This is a lightweight fighter, with light armor, but a very strong shield and very fast cruising speed with long afterburner duration. Four guns, four missile tubes and high maneuverability. And yes it looks like this one as well which is a Heavy Assault Fighter under the same Advance program.

https://p3d.in/UfpA6

Same basic shape, but the mission profile for each is different

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
A stealth fighter with actually working stealth and some missile capacity would be nice...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Loki on steroids with an additional missile launch pad.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Jadehawk, I see one major flaw with both of your designs... visibility.  It appears that you can only see a narrow space to the front and sides.  The pilot would have no upwards or rearwards visibility.  Now, many FS ships don't have much in the way of aft visibility, but they generally look like a fighter cockpit, as opposed to a shuttle or cargo-plane cockpit, which these resemble.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's called the Athena. You may have heard of it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Give me a Valkyrie with maybe a touch more armor and subsystems that don't disintegrate if you look sideways at them, and I'm pretty much set.

Everything about the Erinyes feels good. The look, the handling, the gun placement, everything.

I've heard it's not maneuverable enough for higher difficulties, but I don't care!

Hmmm...I would go with a stealth assault fighter. Something reasonably small and nimble, with agility on par with the Myrmidon. I'm imagining a Pegasus II, with the wingtips clipped off, and extra stuff built into the underside of the fuselage. Oh, and the most important attribute of a stealth ship: IT MUST BE PAINTED BLACK!

Weapons? Yes, I like weapons. That thing welded onto the underside of the Pegasus II? Give it three more primary firepoints, for a grand total of five firepoints in one bank. Yes, it needs to carry Kaysers. Yes, energy management is going to be a problem, but I can aim pretty good. My salvo of Kayser doom won't miss, especially when I have the element of surprise.

Missiles? I only need a few dozen tempests and two trebs.

Now let's talk about afterburners. Just like the weapons, this thing needs an afterburner system that can operate at very high output for a very short period of time. I don't care if it runs for a few seconds and takes over a minute to recharge. Conceptually, 50-60% of the ship's mass and volume should be dedicated to flying at ludicrous speed for a few seconds.

Shields? Armor? What are those? This is a stealth ship. If the enemy sees me, I'm doing it wrong. Hell, if it means I can have 250 m/s afterburners, skip the shield emitters altogether.

Alternatively, turn the default glowy blue bits red, and let's say it was recovered from some top-secret NTF/Shivan joint project by SOC? Perhaps the GTT Sunder's infinitely secret cargo? ;7
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:39:43 am by Erebus Alpha »
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Something like the Athena in terms of handling, profile, and secondary capacity with five or six guns, split 4/1 or 4/2 to mount utility weapons in the second bank. Give me that and I'd be set.

Offline CT27

Fighter:  GTF Keres.  :)

For bomber, I'd have to think about it a little more.

Offline Axem

I've already met my perfect fighter and bomber. The GTF Ezechiel and GTB Rhea. I love them so much I'm making a mod where they have special powers to save the galaxy.

</shameless plug>

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Terran Mara with Seraphim's shields and armor and Ares' missile capacity. What else could you want?
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Terran Mara with Seraphim's shields and armor and Ares' missile capacity. What else could you want?

Uh, the Terran Mara already has greater missile capacity than the Ares.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Does it? I've never really checked... Well, Fenris' missile capacity then.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Does it? I've never really checked... Well, Fenris' missile capacity then.

If we're going that direction, give me a fighter with a quick-pulse Lucy Beam (FSPort version) and the Lucy invincibility shields. You could throw in the dragon's engines/afterburners if you want, but I don't need to go anywhere fast.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Blue Planet had a Dreamscape training mission where you were armed with a BFRed.  :cool:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!