Author Topic: Ancient Shivan War Act 3  (Read 2683 times)

Ancient Shivan War Act 3
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but is this campaign still being worked on? I would really like to see it come out. I have some ideas for it too:

It's canon that the Ancients didn't destroy every "inferior" race they encountered, but they conquered some of them. I think it should be mentioned that, some time in the past (before the start of ASW) they encountered a species with only stone age level technology, and determined that they would make good slaves, since they were physically strong and resilient and could be used for manual labor. So they came down to their planet and, using their technology and weapons, posed as gods, and enslaved them. They taught them things like agriculture and writing, and architecture. Any attempts to rebel were easily put down. During Act 3, we can maybe have a mission where they are evacuating their bases and holdings from this planet, and perhaps a mention of how the slave race asked why their gods were leaving them, and the Ancients (in panic about the Shivans arriving) let slip the fact that they were being hunted to extinction by a new enemy. The slaves, obviously confused by this, ask how gods could be killed, so the Ancients spin a tale about "The Destroyers" being the ultimate scourge of the universe that can even kill gods, and told them that they would eventually come for their people as well. This warning eventually became the Hammer of Light prophecy (as the slave race was the Vasudans).

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Ancient Shivan War Act 3
Sounds plausible.

It looks like the original team is inactive, but maybe a group of intrepid modders could release a fanon sequel based on these ideas.  Take Chanticleer for example.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Nope, that campaign is  dead.

The ASW team actually released their plans for Act 3-5 after they decided that Act 3 will not happen.
SPOILERS: Plot info, ASW 3-5

They also released a Dump for Act 3 with some incomplete missions.

Actually i tried to work on a campaign after that, even fleshed out that Act 3.1 script already with mission objectives, some communication messages and events etc.
Even added some of the stuff already to the german Freespace Wiki back then  :lol:.

But, like always, life got in the way and also a lack of motivation later on, so actually next to bugfixes to all ASW 1 & 2 missions, i only properly finished the incomplete missions from the dump... and some ASW1 missions got a then-working coop version.

But my efforts were too less to be worth of a release in the end IMO. So that work is deep buried in my Data Storage, as i actually do not want to interfere to anybody who want to work on it on his/her own.
I also never really talked about that. Because I actually prefer to show and not to tell.

It's just a topic where I can simply say that I once had plans and tried something.

Unfortunately, my own hopes didn't materialise. Sadly, things like that happen.
Whoever may takes it up again: Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 02:38:05 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

That's interesting but I think having 5 or more Lucifers might not be a good idea, maybe only 2 or 3, and they could have more Sathanases (Sathani?) Leading the fleets instead. The Androgeos should also get a chance to take down a Sathanas. Also instead of having it destroy a Lucifer by ramming it, maybe the Ancients could get lucky and manage to disable one Lucifer somehow and its shields protect it from being destroyed, but it is left drifting in subspace (a tie-in to Derelict).
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Sounds plausible.

It looks like the original team is inactive, but maybe a group of intrepid modders could release a fanon sequel based on these ideas.  Take Chanticleer for example.

I'm seconding this. I think ASW deserves a mini-sequel of some sort, even if developed by fans. :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]