I don't like it!
0 (0%)
Sort of
0 (0%)
I like it!
11 (28.2%)
I LOVE IT!!!
11 (28.2%)
Home World 2 is better then Home World 1!
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: March 04, 2013, 07:41:11 pm

Author Topic: Homeworld 2  (Read 13566 times)

Offline crizza

Wnated to replay it, but every single patchfile I found won't patch the game, telling me something of changed files...
Edit: I'm starting to think, that HW2 doesn't work under Windows7 64bit at all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:18:03 am by crizza »

Wnated to replay it, but every single patchfile I found won't patch the game, telling me something of changed files...
Edit: I'm starting to think, that HW2 doesn't work under Windows7 64bit at all.

That's odd, I was able to at least run the un-patched version under Windows 8 64 bit. It crashed like crazy on the last two missions, and stuttered with high shadow settings, but it definitely ran.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I've always played it under win7 64. HWBP was born under it. The issue is on your side.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

Most certainly, the unpatched game works fine, guess out of the patches I found all are broken.
Guess the reasonis, a friend said back in the days he'll give me a copy of his game, guess he never owned a legal version of the game.
The patch fails always at the english.big file, when I replaced them with the proper big files, the regionlua is the problem, once I solved that problem, the game won't start :banghead:
Off to ebay^^
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:11:27 am by crizza »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Most certainly, the unpatched game works fine, guess out of the patches I found all are broken.
Guess the reasonis, a friend said back in the days he'll give me a copy of his game, guess he never owned a legal version of the game.
The patch fails always at the english.big file, when I replaced them with the proper big files, the regionlua is the problem, once I solved that problem, the game won't start :banghead:
Off to ebay^^

Wait.

I had a similar problem years ago.  There is a known issue with HW2's securerom (or whatever it uses).  You need a patched EXE.  You might try contacting support, I know they provided one to me.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Demitri

Due to this thread I'm playing through the Homeworld games again. Currently playing the first one and on the mission with the billion frigates. My salvage corvettes are doing their thing but when they are bringing the frigates back they are all queuing up at the one carrier and its creating a bit of a bottleneck. Does anyone know how i can instruct them to use different carriers?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I don't think you can.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
The AI behavior for switching is pretty simple most of the time. If Salvage corvettes are towing a ship, their AI appears programmed to take the closest/less dangerous path to production vessels. If there are enemies inbetween your carrier and your mothership, that might be why they're going to your carrier instead.

Otherwise, if there are no enemies inbetween them, just move your carrier to your mothership and they should split up automatically - the AI for the salvette is designed to split up salvagers between ships if there's more the one production ship near the first ship they pick to take the captured ships to.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Due to this thread I'm playing through the Homeworld games again. Currently playing the first one and on the mission with the billion frigates. My salvage corvettes are doing their thing but when they are bringing the frigates back they are all queuing up at the one carrier and its creating a bit of a bottleneck. Does anyone know how i can instruct them to use different carriers?

That mission ruined the rest of "WOW" feeling I still had in HW1. Too many capships, it was no longer awesome. However, despite this flaw and generally lame end of campaing, last mission managed to make me drop my jaw on the floor, and the credits later made me realise what are they for. Sad that HW2 credits were so plain, but it makes up with the final mission instead :lol:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

When the Capella arrived and decided to do a banzai rush the new challenge became to blow the MS up before those guys crash into it.

I also remember that they sent several kamikaze scouts targeting my capships when my fleet got to their MS.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Ah, Bridge of Sighs.  IIRC, you get the sensor array thing on that mission, and turning it on is pretty much "Well, that's a lot of frigates".  Proved impossible to capture them all before they got bored and floated away.

Best part of that one was saying "Screw it" and letting the missile corvettes blow everything up from 10x their range.

Ah, Bridge of Sighs.  IIRC, you get the sensor array thing on that mission, and turning it on is pretty much "Well, that's a lot of frigates".  Proved impossible to capture them all before they got bored and floated away.

Pro-tip: Resource collectors are just a tiny bit faster than ion frigates. Ion frigates will leave their sphere to chase things that are out of their range. Ion frigates won't change targets to salvage corvettes if they're currently chasing something that's close enough to in-range. There's a lot of empty space in that mission to troll around in.

Also: 50+ ion, ion-array, and multi-beam frigates in a custom sphere formation can end any conflict almost immediately.

Oh, actually capturing any particular frigate was no problem.

It's just that the entire sphere formation starts to drift after a certain amount of time, and leaves the map entirely. 

Still got bucket loads of them.  I seem to recall needing to install a mod because the warp in/out default formation got so large it crashed the game.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There was a cap when I did it...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

There's a cap on production, not salvaging. I hear salvaging all those frigates is pointless, though, since the next missions are scaled with your fleet size and the Mothership's hitpoints are not; and besides, with those 19 MBFs you can melt a heavy cruiser in seconds.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
PROTIP: support frigates are way faster but not too fast and also durable, lower risk at the same gain.
I managed to salvage 132 ion frigates and didn't regret it afterwards. Lost 10 of them in remaining missions. By the end of the campaign you can salvage a ****load of capships. Helps a lot, since the last mission is throwing multiple destroyers and HCs in waves to strengthen your ranks. Enemy fleet scaling appears to have its limits and crapton capships is out of scale by its standards  :lol:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There's a cap on production, not salvaging.

That would be completely inconsistent with the fact that eventually my corvettes would simply attach and stop it moving and not move it towards my ships. There really did appear to be a cap on the number of those Ion Cannon frigates I could salvage, I couldn't see any other explanation for the way my salvage corvettes would stop salvaging and instead just clamp on and sit there for even trying one at a time.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

There was a problem jumping to the next system when you had a buttload of frigates captured.  Easiest solution I used was just make the frigates "land" on the mothership before jumping.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"