Author Topic: Sol: A History Issue  (Read 25129 times)

Inferno R1 with the patch and the latest CVS build works great, couldn't be better, but I always loved . I had a handy system of switching between them, too; but now, it seems, I can't get the sol campaign to load up at all. you just install inferno, and copy over, right? what am I missing? when I do this, I get 50 bagillion errors telling me about missing turrents and stuff. I'd be more specific, but I deleted it in anger. 

what's the best way to get sol - a history working?
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

As far as I remember there was a repited Lines in the Ships and Weapons TBL that comes is Sol: A History, aside from another few misspeled lines, I just paid attention to what the Error dialog says and fixed it the 1st time I tried to play Sol, but just, 1 second more and I would just have said "to hell with this...." or to be more accurate "to Inferno with this...", the best way to get something to work is to treat the problem patiently, believe me, it's true.

If it is that, then the fix just need a few minutes...

Maybe you can check (or ask) if there is an updated version in the Freespace 2 Campaing Forum (here at HLP)

I should be updating Sol: A History after I finish R1, and try to add the Sol Independence (Orion) with the right Colour, and Hi-Res Backgrounds, but I am not too sure.......

-------------------------

Erros in SOL TBls:

icons.tbl: line 6: Oh my.......!!!!, someone used a ":" and not a ";" (typo error....)

weapons.tbl: line 492: Double line double data, line repited twice @Laser Glow: 2_laserglow03
line 1191: Double line double data, 1st line is write data, 2nd is wrong data (needs ;; )
line 4057: Double line double data, 1st line is write data, 2nd is wrong data (needs ;; )
line 4065: Cool "Homing: NO" and this info is submitted:
 +Type: HEAT
 +Turn Time: 1.0
 +View Cone: 180.0
I don't really undertand the sarcasm in that line. Solution, Homing: YES
line 4893: Missing the ";; " for +Weapon Range:

ships.tbl:
about line 3502: a bunch of BFSilv and BSilv without the " " (quotes)

------------------------------------------------

But if you're in a rush, better try this:

http://files.filefront.com/S_AH_FixedTBLszip/;5080959;;/fileinfo.html

Ah....I need to update Sol: A History........Do those TBLs fix your problems ?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:30:03 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Most of the SAH bugs should be fixed by the SCP patch. If you do update SAH, I'd suggest trying to use TBM files for it to minimise this happening again.

I'll try the updated tbls; thanks. I'll post back on how it works when I get home and test it.
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

The problem is that the INF R1 SCP Patch (or INF_2Patch) tables are overriden by the ones in Sol. Some campaings seems to have been released with some noticeable bugs (I don't really remember if the same happenes with Aeos Affair v2.0 or Delerict v1.0).

Those TBL that I fixed should eliminate, better to say fix, all of the prompted errors that Sol generates. I also, even before make in a step in Sol get suffocated by all those errors. That's why I start making update (and I choose INF R1 1st), in Sol the errors were really noticeable, enough for someone without experience to fix them, what I mean is that it should be more easy to update Sol than Inferno R1, but before I attack Sol, I need to see what I can do with Inferno since it's the parent.

Offline Troyd

Re: Sol: A History Issue
Ive been having an issue with all the ships in Sol being the same, All fighters for example. Is this becuase i'm running SCP? Or is it a known issue with tables that has yet to be fixed? :confused:

so, who all here thinks that my idea might work? ? ? ?

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

uhhhhhh........ 214? You sure your in the right thread?  :lol:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

uhhhhhh........ 214? You sure your in the right thread? 

I wonder the same....

Anyways, I have separated the Tables for Extra Non-Used Ships in INF R1 as Woomeister suggested. That means it will be a full SHIPS.TBL featuring only the used ships in INF R1, which are 66 (truly 67, I removed the Earth.pof since now it's a background), that means there will be space for 44 extra ships.

I really don't know what to do with the Extra Ships, if do a full TBM with all the ships, so I do this, I separated the Extra Ships by Species that means something like this:

INFunusedAncientShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedEAShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedGTVAShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedShivanShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedSOCShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedVasudanShips-shp.tbm

I know it's a lot of TBMs, but MODs like Solar Wars just use Ancient ships, if I put those in just one big TBM people will start editing the TBM because no one will use all the 40 extra Ships, so that will cut a little the edit....

I also separate another pack for use to make Shivan playables:

messages.tbl: Just the Shivan Comm when you call the Support Ship
INFshivAddWeapons-wep.tbm: Lightspeed extra Weapons
INFshivanSupport-shp.tbm: 2 entries, one for the Shivan Support Ship, another for the Nephilim with 3 SBanks

Of course this will let Sol: A History to work really OK, without Ship limits Warning. Though making this gives the Tables order it's just messing things a little, I believe more in dynamic limits.....

------------------------------------------------------

I believe I still need to separate the extra entries for the non-used Ships, like in the Turret Angle Fix, it doesn't bother the gameplay, but it does bother the Debugger and I want to see if I can get rid of the warnings...

This just take me minutes...as I say, until there is something stable specially with the Media VPs v3.6.8, I can't really make anything. The CVS Builds are now working really fine specially with the $Team detection and the Animation Code.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

INFunusedAncientShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedEAShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedGTVAShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedShivanShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedSOCShips-shp.tbm
INFunusedVasudanShips-shp.tbm
I'd suggest seperate SOC and Ancient tbms, then combine the others. If someone just wanted a single ship from the Vasudan one they would be better the copy the entry into their own tbm so that they only readd what they need to use. That would still give them maximum space to add anything else they want.

Okay, thanks Woomeister, I was unsure if that was good, I mean...those extra TBMs are useless to me and probabily to anyone playing INF, until they're playing a MOD.

I have get rid of all the Debuggers Warnings, I have to make a full species_defs.tbl, I already make the mod.ini, the DDS/EFF version of the Animated Cyan and Silver Beam Glow (**), and added the +burn time: xx.x for the Decals, it still crash your game, but well...

I believe the Animated Orange and Red Beam Glow *.DDS/EFF is already present in the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta (that will improve memory usage and speed)

I have one thing left:

1 - The Yellow Nebulas, I am not sure of replace the repited Nebulas since it will change the look of the original INF R1, but I am sure I'll replace it for the dNeb02, the Nebulae which has a planet in it, it's is really easy to see it's the same Bitmap, no matter how many you combine over...

??? - The Maps ?. Maybe when R2 is released, or when I feel it would be worth to spend the needed time (a lot...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Sol: A History, I'll make 3D Planets and Moons, except for the Earth, which I have done with Clouds and Atmosphere, but it's not compatible with the SCP engine, since it uses Binary Alpha, and the Earth Clouds is just a White Texture which abuse from Alpha levels.

This is mostly because, there are lot of Hi-Res Planar Maps, while Backgrounds really lack in quantity and quality, except for the Earth one...plus the shadows of the planets will depend on the Sun's position, so it will be variable, and not static as Backgrounds....

« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:37:25 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I have get rid of all the Debuggers Warnings, I have to make a full species_defs.tbl
The original patch table is quite out of date now it'll still work but debug builds will complain about missing data. It shouldn't be too hard to add the missing stuff as there was an example somewhere of a complete table for the default species.

The original patch table is quite out of date now it'll still work but debug builds will complain about missing data. It shouldn't be too hard to add the missing stuff as there was an example somewhere of a complete table for the default species.

Yes, you posted it at the Update Thread, I already have done it. There are no Debug Warnings, not even 1 in FS2 and neither in FRED2....

-----------------------------------------------------

There is just one thing that I am missing, as soon as I get an answer I'll upload the full Update:

The Asteroids entry in the Stars.tbl is set to Bitmap which is used for Nebulas, should not be it a BitmapX, I mean after all that's how planets Backgrounds are handled...

In S:AH, the asteroids in the stars.tbl was edited to be a BitmapX, I believe that way should be right...I am wrong?

EDIT:

Found the solution to this, yes it needs to be a BitmapX, but there is no difference until it's a 32 Bit Image with the right Alpha, which is now correct, now the stars are seeing only throw the black area of the Bitmap, and not the solid asteroids, as it was before...this can be noticed at INF Mission 12

-----------------------------------------------------

As soon as I finish this I can take care of S:AH, I am still having mayor problems, specially while porting Planet Models, but well...

The mayor problem will be the TBLs of S:AH which differ a lot from with the matching entries INF R1, even the Lenghts, Missile Banks, and Gun Mounts (***), I don't check it, but I believe the one S:AH should be the wrong ones.

In any case, I'll I'll check in INF R1 by deleting the Descriptions, that way FSSCP will generate the exact data, and not edited one, just to be sure....

Also it will end using the enhacement files from FSPort v3.0 (I need to download this), since S:AH shares things with FS1, FS2 and INF

---------------------------------------------

EDIT:

INFERNO:

Yellow Nebulas:

I make an -AIP (AI Profile's Modular Table), which modifies the entry to allow Shockwaves to damage SubSystem on Small Ships.

I believe this is calculated by Mass in the Model POF, so...if the Mass of the Shockwave is greater than the one in the affected Model, then SubSystems on that ships are damaged (which have no Shield or a depleted one), after all the Shockwave makes the Ships shudder or shake, and that should be enough to decalibrate things such as SubSystems...

This is really important, maybe not much for INF R1, but is a lot for Ancient Ships, which are totally unbalanced (yes, I play Solar Wars and get a really bad impression on balance).

I also add the SJ Sathanas to the SHIPS.TBL, it means that now 67 entries are being used, it's used for the Brifieng at Mission 15, and I changed the Shivan Super Capital entry in the icons.tbl which was the Icon of the Gargant, for the one of the Sathanas used in FS2.

(10,000 or 25,000 characters is the max for single post ?, it depends on the Forum anyways...)

SOL: A History

I have problems with the Texture replacement in FRED2 everytime I tried to save a mission it crashes if I use that feature, anyways...(again):

Did I mention that now the Decals are working OK, yes they are, see the red section of the Independence on the 2nd ScreenShot.

I am making a Full S:AH TBM which contains the specific changes from it, however this is useless for the FS1/FS2 entries until there are dinamyc limits, that means that the INFR1 Ships will be made as +nocreate but the FS1/FS2 ships will be created even when they have a lot of repited data.

The Weapons TBL reamins untouched by me, for the moment...

-------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I already make the TBM for dynamic limits (useless for now...), and the one that well be used, only for Ships.TBL the Weapons TBL should be easy but it's not pretty bad isn't, it should be all a big TBM, however the Weapons.tbl both in the INF_Main.vp and INF_2Patch.vp is preventing me from adding the Weapons of INF and S:AH as a TBM...well it will be the hard way, but it will be.

--------------------------------------------------

The MOD.INI for INF (I already finish editing all fixes in the patch for INF, so this is a little old):

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:29:08 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline neoterran

How far along is your work making Sol A History fully updated graphics wise, like the updated R1, Shadow ? I just used your tables to get the thing to work, and It would be nice to have some nicer looking planets, etc.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 06:33:28 pm by neoterran »
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Well, so so, here are the changes (good that I make a Version.txt now):

Well aside from the "so many things updated to INF R1 that appear in S:AH":

1 - Nameplates for:

A - Orion/Independence Destroyer (and -shine Maps)
B - Fenris/Leviathan Cruisers
C - Faustus Science Cruisers

2 - SkyBox (starfield.pof) to all Missions
3 - Rotated most Backgrounds to either made the Shadow on the planet match the Sun position or just to hide the fact it is a static bitmap, while it is the same at least rotated it's some difference.
4 - Replaced the 2D Moon Bitmap at some Missions where you are really near the Moon, for a Moon in 3D Model (5400 polys/ 75 segments [MAX is 200 / 39,600 polys]), using a 4096x2048x32 DDS Texture Map (originally 8192x4096x32 TIFF), rotated the Model Bank (Y Axis) so you can see both faces in different Missions, thing that is impossible with 2D backgrounds.

5 - Modular Tables (TBMs) for all which was possible, this simplifies a lot the changes in from INF to S:AH, still there are a lot, since it uses a lot of FS1 TBL entries.
6 - Changed the wrongly and missing FS2 "Prometheus R" and "UD-8 Kayser", one used by the "GTB Medusa" Turret, now is using the "Avenger" as in FS1, and the other by the "GTB Ursa" Turret, now is using the "Banshee" as in FS1. The same goes for the "Training" weapon used for the "GTFR Chronos".
7 - Ported and bring back to the FS1 Weapons, like INF "Avenger T2" for FS1 "Avenger". Also with all the extra enhacements (Descriptions/Bitmaps/Decals/etc.), this also goes for the already FS1 present ones "Phoenix V"/"Interceptor"/"Tsunami"
8 - Changed the Leviathan Model from cruiser01.pof (Fenris/Red Lights) to the Leviathan one (cruiser01x.pof/Blue Lights)
9 - Added missing Hi-Res "Interface" from FS1.
10 - Changed all the Suns, to be the SunSolar (SunGold but RGBI 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, that means no yellow light, just white light)
11 - Make the coloured Icons for the Interface of the GTF Ulysses, GTF Hercules MkII (*), GTF Valkyrie, GTB Medusa, GTB Ursa
(*) Looks really Low-Res
12 - Make the Anti-Aliased/Anisotropic (8xAA/16xAF) of the GTF Ulysses, GTF Hercules MkII (HTL), GTF Valkyrie, GTB Medusa (HTL) (**), GTB Ursa (HTL)
(**) There is a Black area at the Turret, for some reason the Texture Mapping went wrong with MODVIEW32, but it looks OK in game (not a model problem).
13 - Added AB Trails all fighters and bombers which has AfterBurner.
14 - Added f_shockwaves for all Small Ships which lacked of Normal Shockwaves (Fighters/Bombers/Freighters/Cargos/Turrets/etc.)
15 - Changed the MODed entry of the GVF Thoth, which was PVF Thoth, just to be as FS1, I just used the alternative name in Mission 01 to "PVF Thoth", there was no needed of Modding the name.
16 - Changed the Species from "Terran" to "GTA", in order to allow the "GTS Centaur" to Support us, when you use an EA Ship, then the new "EAS Eos" will re-arm you.
17 - Changed the FS2 Piranha missing entry used by the RMI Phobos & RMI Phobos, and Added entry and changed turret banks for the FS1 equivalent: "Synaptic" bomb, as there should be no trace of FS2 in S:AH.

Is already finished but I still don't have time to upload it, since I need to upload first the true final version of the update for INF R1 (37,5 MB compressed / the actual is at 23,3 MB), then Upload the S:AH Update which is 18,9 MB compressed.......

Offline neoterran

Awesome to hear you did all that work.

Let's hope you can overcome your bandwidth limitations soon so we can all share in your improvements.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 04:56:55 pm by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

Offline neoterran

Been about a month, wanted to give a

:bump:
Chief Grognard.

There are lot of campaings out there waiting to be played, I still didn't have the chance to play Trascend, well because I don't wanted to...just by curiosity neoterran, do you already played S:AH ? (with the fixed TBLs I posted above)

---------------------------------------------

The problem is that I don't passed any of the Primary Weapons from FS1 to S:AH, so basically you're using FS1/FS2 Ships with weapons balanced for INF, so when you get the EA Ships (Claymore/mkII/Peregrine/Stentor/Gagana) there isn't any real improvement...in exchange FS1 Primary Weapons were much weaker, example is the FS1 "Avenger" vs. the INF "Avenger T2", and so...

If I have time a not anything better to do (or download), I'll upload the last version of the Update for INF R1, uploading S:AH's Update is no problem, but I should ask to Blaise Russel for his permission, he is the creator of S:AH so his decision is determinant

Aside from that, I started to drift away from INF since the moment I get contact with 3D Studio Max

Offline neoterran

Shadow, I have played a few missions of Sol A History with your fixed tables. It's quite a cool campaign, which is why I want to wait for you to (hopefully soon) upload it (so I won't play anymore missions until that happens) and the further improved Inferno. I've now beaten Inferno R1 so I'm less interested in it than Sol : A History. I'm sure Blaise would be more than happy to see you've done the work to bring it up to SCP par.

Well, glad to hear you are improving your skills, I hope you don't lose interest in Freespace SCP because it is quite a cool game, We're all in need of a fully up to date (read : Direct X 10, Shader Model 4) version of Freespace for super-beefy systems, but until then (I don't see any games in development that are space and have the fun factor Freespace does) I'm in love with the SCP.

Chief Grognard.

I have an issue of my own.

Whenever i start a mission, there are no primaries, but if I call the support ship and it docks, they appear!

What's up with That?
It's hard to see the moral high ground if you're standing in the mud.-NeoBSG

Wise man say: No such thing as overkill, only "FIRE!" and "RELOAD!"

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!