Author Topic: Sol: A History Issue  (Read 25127 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Sol: A History Issue
Probably a pilot file issue or mod conflict. Start a new pilot file and check for other mod tables.

Offline thorbin

The fixed tables finally enabled me to play through Sol: A history, though I think I am missing some backgrounds. I have the Earth, Venus, and Mars backgrounds, but are there supposed to be backgrounds of the other planets you visit throughout the campaign (such as Jupiter)?

Yes, as I announced in the Official Web Site, you would travel by all the planets of the Solar System, I don't want to spoil the campaing but Saturn and Jupiter are the latest to appear (Uranus and Pluto are halfway in the campaing).

Some of the planet backgrounds are included in the SCP Patch of INF (INF_2Patch.vp) so S:AH just have the missing ones...but they're there and you should be able to see them...

You should have them, remember SA:H is a Sub-MOD of Inferno, be sure to have it in the right directory paths

Yes, as I announced in the Official Web Site, you would travel by all the planets of the Solar System, I don't want to spoil the campaing but Saturn and Jupiter are the latest to appear (Uranus and Pluto are halfway in the campaing).

Some of the planet backgrounds are included in the SCP Patch of INF (INF_2Patch.vp) so S:AH just have the missing ones...but they're there and you should be able to see them...

You should have them, remember SA:H is a Sub-MOD of Inferno, be sure to have it in the right directory paths

where is the offical website you are talking about?

The info is submitted by Skippy in his Campaing List Website, S:AH website is:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/sbre/sah/sol_a_history.htm

Do you get it to work with the Fixed TBLs ?

yes, It's working alright (without the mod.ini), i am able to play the first mission. But it does not use any high polygon models and SCP effect at all. i wonder if I can edit those in?

Offline neoterran

you've got to make sure you're linking to the mediavps in your mod.ini.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

hmm, how do I use the new nebulae background then? Sorry if I am asking redundant question. This forum isn't especially noob friendly because most info I see are seemingly very advanced.

Offline neoterran

No, it isn't very n00b friendly, most people around here have solid working setups and have forgotten about the work they put in to get them to work. I spent at least 50 hours working on Freespace SCP before I figured everything out, but I treated it as an enjoyable hobby.

As far as the new nebulae, it depends on what you're talking about. there are several sets of nebulae. Theres the retail set, the sets that were used with the old campaign mods, the New Freespace2 set, and the Lightspeed Ultra High Quality Set. You're probably talking about the fact that the nebulae in Inferno are old and don't look very good. First, make sure that you are linking to the mediavps in your Inferno mod.ini and that you have the mediavps in a seperate folder. this way, when you select the inferno mod, you also load the mediavps as well as the Infernovps. To run Inferno R1 in the best quality mode for the SCP you also need to have Inferno R1, The SCP Patch for R1, and Shadows SCP Overhaul patch, which is in the thread "Updating R1" in the Inferno forum. Shadow's patch is what gives you the improved nebulas, if i'm not mistaken.

If you follow all the instructions you can get Inferno R1 working with with the SCPs and all updated graphics and many fixed bugs. It's a really fun campaign to play but it is short. Keep in mind Inferno R2, which isn't released yet, is a rewrite of the entire campaign. (Like an alternate history).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 04:36:29 pm by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

ah, I didn't make myself clear enough. I have everything setup for Inferno and I am running it at the highest quality mode (it looks gorgeous, especially the battle over earth), however, I want to use the ultra high quality background for Sol: A history campiagn.

Offline neoterran

That's up to the discretion of the original author of the campaign, and why alot of the older campaigns (unless they were updated for SCP recently) don't look as good. Shadow0000 made extensive improvements on his own accord to Inferno R1 to bring it up to the quality of stuff like the Freespace port, Destiny of Peace, Derelict, etc. He also has made these improvements to S:AH, but he hasn't been able to upload them (go and read the updating Sol:A History thread through.) He did make some table files available so that S:AH will even run. S:AH gets some improvements from Inferno (+SCP Patch, +Shadow Patch) but it has other problems, like the weapon names are wrong, etc etc. some of the planets still look like crap, etc.

So, until Shadow uploads his updates, which also depend upon Blaise Russel (the author of S:AH) approving them, you will have to wait to see the campaign look as good as it could. Also there is some politcal stuff involved as S:AH is an Inferno mod, really, and Woomeister, the master of Inferno has said he doesn't 100 percent agree with the continuity of the S:AH storyline.

Really, welcome to Hard Light. Freespace SCP is awesome, but it is disorganized, unfortunately. My advice : Make friends with the right people  ;)
Chief Grognard.

I see a lot of potential in the FS2 engine (very efficient) and looks sufficiently good. However, it's unfortunate that Inferno 2 hasn't been released. There are so many new ships in Inferno that just one ship (say the nemesis or that Vasduan Carrier) allows you to make a whole campaign around it.

Offline neoterran

Yes, once Inferno R2 is out, we can make mods that continue the inferno storyline. Inferno is a hell of a lot of work tho, so I understand why it takes them so long. The worst is knowing there is a working build of Inferno R2, no matter how incomplete, seeing scenes from it in the threads is really patience testing...
Chief Grognard.

shadow, can you pm me about how to add those backgrounds as you did in those screenshots? I have a good internet connection and maybe I can help out. I have some coding experience but I am new to FS2 engine. Personally I think SOL: AH works all fine now but the planets look pretty bad. I wonder if there is any quick fix that'll allow me to fix them for my private usage or (if the campiagn maker agrees) public consumption?

Offline neoterran

renegade resurgence is another solid 30 mission campaign that works great with the SCP but needs some planet upgrades.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
Well there can be a lot of uses for R2. Ex. my friend wants to get some ships from it to use them in his own champaing. I also know few guys, who wants to use R2 to make their own champaing (R2-independent, alternative Inferno reallity). Also, i have a lot of ideas for R2-based champaings (mostly pre-Chapter1, but also few R2-independent ideas).
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Some staff members would like a modpack pre-release for those who want to make their own campaigns (ie no campaign included with it) but it's not currently up to the standard I would want for such a release. However such a release may be on the table if the main campaign struggles too much and the main mod is more complete.

woomeister, can you maybe upload the mod pack and have an open map contest?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The mod is 536mb (uncompressed) and consists of over 6110 files. I only plan on doing 1 public release of a pack that size.

Offline neoterran

personally, I think R2 should come first so people can see the intent of the ships, how they're used in the storyline etc, before people start using them in mod campaigns. But that's just my opinion.

I would also like to point out that for large files of multi hundreds of megabytes, bittorrent should be used. It's the protocol of choice for distributed sharing of bandwidth, and it just doesn't make sense to host such files on a single server anymore. Start a torrent in superseeding mode from a server instead and allow other clients to help seed.
Chief Grognard.