Author Topic: Sol: A History Issue  (Read 25126 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Sol: A History Issue
If no-one seeds you can't get the file. BT only works well in larger communities willing to seed the file.

Offline neoterran

right, well instead of having a server serve the file over and over again, have the server run a bittorrent client and stay seeding. if you're the only seed, superseeding can cut down on the amount of bandwidth used again until there are other seeders. Of course this does require a dedicated server, which i just realized Inferno (or the Freespace SCP) doesn't have, right ?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:47:24 pm by neoterran »
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Woomeister, I have a T3 connection (20mbs/second) with 5 gig of bandwidth to May 17 (that's the time I will be leaving my dorms), I wonder if I can help out seeding the file if the only thing that prevents the release of R2 now is hosting.

Offline neoterran

No, i believe that he's talking about a R2 based modpack for mission developers, Handy, I think R2 is still not complete due to several issues noted in the other threads.

What we really need to to is get Shadow0000 to upload his fixed S:AH setup and his Revised R1 Patch, which he's had for almost 2 months now  :shaking:
Chief Grognard.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
If we release it now we would have to release lots of critical patches as we change and improve things for the main campaign. These changes may then cause conflicts with anything you start to build using the pre release. We sometimes totally remove weapons or make major stat changes which would definitely break balance.

I am glad that dev here is a lot more friendlier than those in my other gaming community (battlefield series). However, I suggest that maybe you guys can release R2 build piece by piece. For example, release those ships that are completely finished and will unlikely to be changed again as R2B1, so modders can go ahead and start working on missions. This will definitely bring A LOT more popularity into inferno.

As of right now, totally patched R1 looks goregous, but it's only availabe to those who dig this forum. I wonder if you guys can release a R2 modpack along with converted R1 mission, just for popularity purposes.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I am glad that dev here is a lot more friendlier than those in my other gaming community (battlefield series). However, I suggest that maybe you guys can release R2 build piece by piece. For example, release those ships that are completely finished and will unlikely to be changed again as R2B1, so modders can go ahead and start working on missions. This will definitely bring A LOT more popularity into inferno.
We did that with R1 and so both versions ended up slightly different as a few things were changed after the ships were released. The SCP patch brings the multi VP version up to the standard of the final full VP version.
We can't release in chunks this time as everything is designed to work in a standalone format, and everything is heavily integrated into it. I'd need to release all the maps with the ships as they won't work in standard SCP without them, then you'd need our weapons for them which requires the effects, and then you need the tables to get the right balance with them.

As of right now, totally patched R1 looks goregous, but it's only availabe to those who dig this forum. I wonder if you guys can release a R2 modpack along with converted R1 mission, just for popularity purposes.
Porting R1 to R2 modpack wouldn't work very well, several key ships are missing (diablo) and some ships are completely different (Warlock) I'd need to port over all the R1 mods for it to work right, and that would be another large download to do so.

do you guys have a possible ETA on the modpack itself? I suppose it'll be better for all of us if you guys release the modpack before the main campaign is done.

Also, is there anyway to make shadow release his Sol:AH patch? I heard that he has them for awhile.

Also, is there anyway to make shadow release his Sol:AH patch? I heard that he has them for awhile.

I am having a few troubles, just one to be correct, the other isn't much important:

1 - DDS Planet Backgrounds, this just doesn't work, they are too blurry due to MIPMAPS, the "not good" solution would be to erase them from the VP and put the *.TGA, so the Advanced Effects would be already included...

But maybe if I convert the *.TGA backgrounds without MipMaps (-nomipmap), then there will be no blurryness, of course there won't be LODs (MipMaps) at all...

---------------------------------------

This one (I won't make this, probabily):

2 - I never ported the true FS1 Primary Weapons. The problem is not porting the Damage and other Gauges, the most troublesome is that if I change names like "Avenger T2" to "Avenger" I have to edit about 40 Missions to correct them, even with a text editor that takes a while, there are a few (since a lot of weapons from FS1 and ST  weren't included in S:AH)

One week I was putting all the work of the day, just to update it, one day I awake and it was like I was a total stranger, for some reason I loose motiavation so sudden, the process of edit so many missions becomes too repetitive, which is really boring, aside from the fact that by that time it was when I started to do some 3D models...

-----------------------------------------

Venus (*.TGA), I made the Background from a 3D Render I made:

Personally I think the main problem I had with SOL:AH is the planets. The weapon stats and stuff like that doesn't really matter (for the usual players, i guess).

Personally I think the main problem I had with SOL:AH is the planets

You're right, however when it comes to planets Backgrounds or Maps, it's really hard to tell, there are a lot of planets which don't have Hi-Res versions, even Celestia uses a hybrid Map for Mercury, it's a mercury MAP filled with the one of the Moon, it's look good, but it's really noticeable ("that's not mercury")

The weapon stats and stuff like that doesn't really matter (for the usual players, i guess).

I was trying to match FS1 storyline as much as possible, as S:AH goes from FS1 to INF's EA story, it pass over FS2 and so all GTVA related stuff. And the fact that the EA ships don't really represent that much of a improvement to be so drastic, well the Gagana is quite a difference, but the others using the same prymary weapons have quite a few disaventages...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
2 - I never ported the true FS1 Primary Weapons. The problem is not porting the Damage and other Gauges, the most troublesome is that if I change names like "Avenger T2" to "Avenger" I have to edit about 40 Missions to correct them, even with a text editor that takes a while, there are a few (since a lot of weapons from FS1 and ST  weren't included in S:AH)
Well the Avenger II is not the same as the original Avenger. Though the current one used by the EA is close to the FS1 Avenger in stats, so I setup armour support for my Sol fleet to reduce the effectiveness of the original Avenger against stronger opponents, which gives the Avenger II more of an advantage over it.

Offline neoterran

The weapons don't matter. Just port the fixed planet set out so we can reap the labors of your improved planet work.
Chief Grognard.

The weapons don't matter. Just port the fixed planet set out so we can reap the labors of your improved planet work.

quoted for emphasis.

speaking of which, is there anyway to give Sol an actual image (instead of a big glow, like if you can actually see the sun and its black dots, etc)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:15:38 pm by handy388 »

I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud (and that really is a beautiful render of the Venusian surface, by the way), but you cannot see the surface of Venus from space.  Like, at all.  That atmosphere is incredibly thick and inpenetrable to the visible light spectrum.  If I remember right, all those images of the surface were taken in the infrared range.  This is your work, so your call, obviously, but if it's realism you are going for...
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud (and that really is a beautiful render of the Venusian surface, by the way), but you cannot see the surface of Venus from space.  Like, at all.  That atmosphere is incredibly thick and inpenetrable to the visible light spectrum.  If I remember right, all those images of the surface were taken in the infrared range.  This is your work, so your call, obviously, but if it's realism you are going for...

The GTVA began a terra-forming campaign since the 22 century, and one of the most terraformable plant is venus. in fact, it would be cool if you can actually put cities there.

Don't worry, I was aware the Venus has a very thick Atmosphere, it's clouds cover most of the surface, making the surface almost impossible to see...I have tried as I shown with the render of the Earth, like in Celestia, Venus is composed or at least two or so spheres (1 for the Yellow atmosphere, 1 for the clouds, 1 for the surface), but due to the way that the SCP manages the Alpha Channel (transparency) is impossible. Until maybe a Material system or some feature like that is supported...that's why I choose to only add the Moon as a 3D models, it is pure surface (the only extra effect is that it reflect lights a lot...)

Plus, the old Venus background is very much like that render, you can see the surface clearly, which is wrong...

Venus as seen in Celestia:

------------------------------------------------------------------

The GTVA began a terra-forming campaign since the 22 century, and one of the most terraformable plant is venus. in fact, it would be cool if you can actually put cities there.

No, due to what perihelion said, it would be impossible to see it until it would be a 3D model, and you would go inside the atmosphere of the planet, it would be impossible to see from space, aside from the fact it is already hard to see cities in the earth from the space, so...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mars (caption from a Render made by Space Graphics):

Mercury (half-Mercury, the gasps are artificially filled with the Moon MAP):

Pluto (same Res as the old Background, but 32-Bit colours):

Sun (actually not, just replace the old bitmap for the SunGold one):

wow, this is goregous. Ever wonder if there is a possiblity I can help out, maybe beta testing the planet background or help distributing it? It looks pretty much finished.

Don't worry, I was aware the Venus has a very thick Atmosphere, it's clouds cover most of the surface, making the surface almost impossible to see...I have tried as I shown with the render of the Earth, like in Celestia, Venus is composed or at least two or so spheres (1 for the Yellow atmosphere, 1 for the clouds, 1 for the surface), but due to the way that the SCP manages the Alpha Channel (transparency) is impossible. Until maybe a Material system or some feature like that is supported...that's why I choose to only add the Moon as a 3D models, it is pure surface (the only extra effect is that it reflect lights a lot...)

Plus, the old Venus background is very much like that render, you can see the surface clearly, which is wrong...

Venus as seen in Celestia:

I could make the double sphered render using a 3D program, an just take the screenshot, as I do with that Venus background, the main reason why I didn't do it probabily, is that Venus's surface Map is really Hi-Res (4096x2048), but the clouds maps are really mid to low res, plus I would need to make some kind of glow as if it were an atmosphere (like a bloom shader?), and that is harder for me, than making a 3D model, so probabily that's the reason why I didn't bother, because I could take the screenshot direct from Celestia, but even in there, it doesn't look like a Hi-Res background

-------------------------------------------------

I need to get up to date with Media VP v3.6.8 Delta, I have to see the changes, so I don't forget anything (like I have done before):

1 - The DDS backgrounds will be left with the MIPMAPS, this means for the ones that don't download the extra "Advanced effects" pack will probabily have blurry planet backgrounds (of course the MIPMAPS depends on the Resolution you're using, blurryness may vary)

---------------------------------------------------

2 - I'll see this one, add and replace all of the INF weapons to the ones used in FS1 (and ST, if there are)

I'll post some screenshots of the other planets later...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:57:55 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline neoterran

Okay, just as long as you eventually upload the planets pack later.  :D

If you're just going to tease us with screenshots of how great your Sol:A History looks, I'll tease you with shots of how crap mine looks :0P

(Yes, I know I can replace these planets myself; But I'd rather standardize on your version)

As for the weapons, I don't think it is so bad that there are weapons like Avenger T2 when it's supposed to be Avenger. We're on earth after all, you could explain it as the Sol System had slightly better / different weapon variants as the far fleet during the same period. And as Woomeister said, you don't want to change them to Avenger anyway as they're not exactly the same.

RELEASE THE PACK !
Chief Grognard.