Author Topic: i hacked some files-now crash.  (Read 3772 times)

Offline JOTRkid

i hacked some files-now crash.
i changed some of the mod files after extracting them... using notepad of course-and now it just crashes when i try to load it-bunch if errors like
"can't find gtva rapid laser blah blah blah."

Offline JOTRkid

Re: i hacked some files-now crash.
ADDED: how can i recompile the files?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
if you extacted them from the .vp, just delete or move the files you took out. The . vp's should not have changed when you pulled the files out.

you shouldn't need to recompile ANYTHING. Mods don't need to be "compiled".
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline JOTRkid

i changed some of the table files and now it crashes. i made the shocker long range and smaller.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
unless you repacked the .vp's, you should be able to just delete the tables you extracted and it should work fine.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline JOTRkid

but my point is i want to change the files for stuff so i can beat the finial mission.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
but my point is i want to change the files for stuff so i can beat the finial mission.

OHHHHHH..... that explains it.

post a pic of your mod folder and I'll help you figure it out.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Unless you are playing with Hard or insane difficulty,the final mission shouldn't be so difficult.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Much less than the previous mission, IMO.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uh? What's the matter with Nemesis?
Disarming the Nemesis? Staying alive? Defend the warships?
Mah.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

I may be mistaken, but you're talking about mission 14, and the final mission is the number 15, which involves the Gigas. Yes, mission 14 is more difficult than 15, but in the other hand, if your squadron is destroyed easily and you're left alone, then it becomes impossible unless you're playing in Very Easy.

It's a matter of defend your wing, even so the AI is just plain dumb, they would surely do a frontal attack against the Gigas.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:16:35 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
It's a matter of defend your wing, even so the AI is just plain dumb, they would surely do a frontal against the Gigas.

I think I'm beginning to understand why ai-chase is bad for cap battles...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

I am being kind saying that the AI is plain dumb, now I remember it was even worse, the problems are the Shivan Comm Nodes, your comrades will just shoot at it, and once it is destroyed they just stand in there, until the explosion envelops them, they could fire from far away, but no, they have start shooting when there is like 1 pixel (voxel) of distance between them.

If this happens you have 2 options, order your allies to ignore or not attack it, and destroy the Comm Node alone, or before it's HP reachs 0% order your allies to attack a distant target, that way they will take distance.

Fear the Shivan Comm Node, Shivan's most powerful weapon. The funny part is that is not even a weapon:

"Alpha 1: Commander ?, my teammates where defeated by an unnarmed structure", has someone played Deus Ex Machina campaign ?, that's what I meant.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:19:27 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
The sad thing is that back in FS1, fighters and bombers used to flee exploding capital ships...
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The explosion was the capital ship's anti-fighter weapon in FS1.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The sad thing is that back in FS1, fighters and bombers used to flee exploding capital ships...

A proposal for the next build of FS Open?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You can already do that with the AI Profiles table, I think... But I'm not sure. You can make the capital ships' explosions act like those in FS1, that I know for sure, but I'm not too sure about making fighters run away from those explosions.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Like for the dumbfire? It's possible.
Why these things aren't set as default?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Again, I am not sure at all, but yes, they runaway, the problem as I said is that they get too close, imagine you have an Ennead and a Sabus, both of them would attack the target from the same distance, even when their speed are totally different, like if they could put safe of the explosion in a equally manner.
The AI doesn't make difference based on the ship max speed, or neither on the enemy mass, it becomes commons that some type of ships gets caught by the shockwave and others simply not.

Shivan Comm Nodes explode quite fast after it's HP reachs 0%, plus the shockwave has a considerable range for it's mass which usually damages your allies, in mission 15 there are 3 Comm Nodes, so if the first don't kill them, the second will do, or the third, this usually don't happen with other Classes, like Cruisers.

If someone has doubts about this, you can just destroy all the enemies on screen, fighter and bombers mostly, and then start using your squadron to order to destroy the Shivan Comm Nodes one by one to test how efficient they are.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
When I destroy a Comm Node I engage my afterburners and order my wingmen to follow me...
The Lightblue Ribbon