Author Topic: Orion!  (Read 32068 times)

Offline Luigi30

Death-dealing? Didn't kill the Colossus...

Well.. I HAVE media-VPs installed... All media-VPs (3.6.6beta)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Mr_Maniac
I've a little error with the Orion...
Well... There's a "thing" (looks like a rock?!?!) attached...
And it doesn't matter if I re-install it or delete the ibx-file...
I used the newest cvs-tree-build (03 April 2005 - ~14:30 CET)

Here are two images:

First one
Second one

Can you do two things for me?  Try it under an older build, first, and if it still happens then get me some more screenshots of the specific points at which the "rock" connects to the ship.  There's a very small chance this is a triangulation error gone horribly wrong, and since I can't reproduce it I'll need to see exactly where the error is originating.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

death-dealing? Didn't kill the Colossus...

DUH.

Death-dealing to everything else, though. :p

Offline Kie99

Didn't kill the Sathanas

*ducks*
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Have you done these textures from scratch?

Just wondering, it looks very nice.
Matris Games
Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think he's using the textures DaBrain made, based off of the originals.

(which is arguably a harder thing to do than making them from scratch)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It'll use whatever textures you had on the old Orion.  I've got mv_textures installed, so they are the Lightspeed/DaBrain upgrades.  The biggest difference between the earlier shots and that last one was that I halved the tiling on the maps; made it look tons better.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Here are seven screenshots...
But I fear that they're almost useless...
It is VERY hard to see, where this thing connects...

The screenshots are big (most are over 1 MB), because I wanted to bring them in the best visual quality...

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 5
Screenshot 6
Screenshot 7

Okay... Now I've been able to test the Orion with three different builds:
fs2_open_C20050318
fs2_open_C20050226
fs2_open_3.6.5

On fs2_open_3.6.5 it looks right... But on any other build (ok ok... I've only tested two other builds) it does have this big rock-thing...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
This may be a bug.  I'm using a build slightly older than 2-26, but nothing should have changed to make this a problem.  I'll download a newer version and take a look.

EDIT: 20050318 works perfectly for me.  There may be a problem with the ibx generated out of the bleeding edge build; kill it and try running an older build again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 02:02:44 pm by 570 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
IBX files are only generated once; after the first try, the same ibx file should be used no matter what build is run.
-C

I deleted the ibx for every build...
It doesn't matter...
Very strange...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
IBX files are only generated once; after the first try, the same ibx file should be used no matter what build is run.

Which is why I wanted to make sure it was getting deleted when he tried older builds :)  I doubt it's a problem with ibx generation, but I thought I'd give it a go nonetheless.  I'm really leaning toward a corrupt download; does the model look ok in FRED?  There shouldn't be any points out there for the model to extend to, so I'm a bit clueless as to why that's happening.  Looks a little like the classic Shards-o-Death behavior, though I was under the impression that bug had been squashed long ago.

Somewhat unrelated, but is the blob on the side solid?  Can you ram it like you could any other part of the ship?

Okay... I will try the model in FRED, when I'm in Windows (maybe tomorrow)...

This "Thing" isn't solid... I can fly through it...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
how can you call it a "thing"?

i'm gonna try this out...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 07:04:59 pm by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The "thing" isn't the Orion, it's something that his machine seems to tack on.  Mr_Manic, do I interpret from your post that this is happening in a linux build?  This may be a bug if so.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well, I've submitted my remap for Strat to convert as well. I thought
a model this detailed could benefit from some texture variety; many
areas were also painstakingly UV mapped to take advantage of the
texture map instead of simply tiling them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 10:55:21 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i normally don't say this about the orion (my fav capship, even with the newer, sleeker, more powerful ships.], but that variant of orions is HORRIBLE. i don't like the way it's modelled.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I like the textures, that would have taken a while to do those.
Matris Games
Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler