Author Topic: 2007-10-07 stable branch (Xt version)  (Read 55265 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: 2007-10-07 stable branch (Xt version)
Oh, one other thing I've noticed... not very big or important but perhaps worth mentioning. Sometimes it seems like the build is a bit slow at loading parts of the interface. Loading bar is often replaced by a white bar for a while until the familiar dot thingy appears. Some other parts are occasionally affected as well, but the loading bar does it somewhat more regularly.

Doesn't seem to have an effect on playability, though... It lasts a varying time from a few seconds to a blink of eye, and I can't seem to determine any patterns in it for now.

Anyone else seen this?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I have. Wasn't too bad though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I see it too.  I also get jerkyness the first time weapons are fired or a ship warps out.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I notice that some of my model don't work with it but work with older builds. I mean, I can't pilot them (and more precisely move them) but I can target, open fire and so on. But, it's not only me, AI fighter won't move until they have the same model. However, the other models I made into SCP work pretty well.

Any idea in mind ?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Oh, one other thing I've noticed... not very big or important but perhaps worth mentioning. Sometimes it seems like the build is a bit slow at loading parts of the interface. Loading bar is often replaced by a white bar for a while until the familiar dot thingy appears. Some other parts are occasionally affected as well, but the loading bar does it somewhat more regularly.
I noticed the same thing earlier today.  It must be a recent change, otherwise it would have been noticed before.  Based on what it's doing I have a few ideas as to the cause, except that I haven't touched those parts of the code in months.  :doubt:

It's on my todo list for later this week though, so I should be able to fix it for the next test build (sometime next week).

I notice that some of my model don't work with it but work with older builds. I mean, I can't pilot them (and more precisely move them) but I can target, open fire and so on. But, it's not only me, AI fighter won't move until they have the same model. However, the other models I made into SCP work pretty well.

Any idea in mind ?
Not really.  I can't think of anything that's changed which would affect something like this.  I really just need some data to test with in order to figure it out.  If you upload a tbl entry, a POF and the related textures, then I'll take a look.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ok, here the files and the model which is buggy :
http://sam.sothi77.free.fr/proto/sw/

Just grab them all.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Crashes on startup every time for me.

Code: [Select]
==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
FreeSpace version: 3.6.10
Passed cmdline options:
  -normal
Building file index...
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\multi-mission-pack.vp' with a checksum of 0x377695e0
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\multi-voice-pack.vp' with a checksum of 0xd50e7442
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\root_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xce10d76c
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\smarty_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xddeb3b1e
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\sparky_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x164fe65a
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xa11d56f1
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\stu_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd77da83a
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\tango1_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4c25221e
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\tango2_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x86920b82
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\tango3_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x705e8d71
Found root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\warble_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd85c305d
Searching root 'F:\games\freespace2\' ... 80 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\multi-mission-pack.vp' ... 110 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\multi-voice-pack.vp' ... 307 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\root_fs2.vp' ... 157 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\smarty_fs2.vp' ... 10 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\sparky_fs2.vp' ... 3027 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' ... 1337 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\stu_fs2.vp' ... 2355 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\tango1_fs2.vp' ... 32 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\tango2_fs2.vp' ... 15 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\tango3_fs2.vp' ... 10 files
Searching root pack 'F:\games\freespace2\warble_fs2.vp' ... 52 files
Found 12 roots and 7492 files.
Setting language to English
Initializing OpenAL...
  Using 'Generic Software' as OpenAL sound device...
  OpenAL Vendor     : Creative Labs Inc.
  OpenAL Renderer   : Software
  OpenAL Version    : 1.1

... OpenAL successfully initialized!
Failed to init speech
GR_CPU: Family 15, MMX=Yes
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1024x768 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing WGL...
  Requested WGL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 32, double-buffer: 1
  Actual WGL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 32, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor     : ATI Technologies Inc.
  OpenGL Renderer   : ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
  OpenGL Version    : 2.0.6479 Release

Using extension "GL_EXT_fog_coord".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_multitexture".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_env_add".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_compression".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_env_combine".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_draw_range_elements".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object".
  Unable to find extension "GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object".
  Using extension "GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_framebuffer_object".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_rectangle".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_bgra".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_cube_map".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias".
  Unable to find extension "NV_point_sprite".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_shading_language_100".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_shader_objects".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_vertex_shader".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_fragment_shader".
  Found special extension function "wglSwapIntervalEXT".

Compiling shader ->  b-vert.sdr / b-frag.sdr ...

My drivers aren't the very most recent but they are from this year. Catalyst Version 07.6

I'll try updating them later today.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well, I've discovered two issues afterburners trails not showing (3.6.9. works fine) and while I was investigating this one I found a pilot data corruption (3.6.9. also has it). OTOH Mantis is down...

Exact steps to force them:

• Download BluePlanet MOD. I've discovered both problems while playing with it. I've got it installed in MOD_BluePlanet folder with a MOD.INI pointing to mediavps as a secondary mod.
  • As Blue Planet new fighters do not have AB trails, I was trying to add them when I found both troubles. I upload my bp_trails-shp.tbm table. Add it to BluePlanet > Data > Tables. I'm pretty sure the table is fully right, I've adapted it from mediavps trails table and, if you use FRED, you can see how each new fighter table entry is correctly shown in Ships Editor. But check it nevertheless.
  • Launch the game loading the mod and create a new pilot.
  • Go to campaign room and select Blue Planet.
  • Go to tech > simulator > campaign missions. Press Ctrl-Shift-S to show all the missions. Select mission "Forced Entry" BP-10.fs2.
    With my original pilot I was actually playing that campaign mission when I've discovered both bugs (and when my original pilot has also been corrupted when I started playing arround :mad:). But I suppose you don't want to play all the missions till getting here just to test it. Using the Ctrl-Shift-S saves a lot of time  ;)
  • Don't waste your time changing the loadout. GTF Kulas don't show AB trails in this mission. Just press * to go outside your ship and TAB to engage your ABs. I upload a screenshot nevertheless. As I've said before, with official 3.6.9. (3rd version), you can see the AB trails.
    As a side note: If you build a simple mission with Alpha 1 just flying a GTF Kulas, or when the pilot has been bugged, then you see AB trails with this same fighter or in this same mission.

----EDITED-----
    A new discover. If you restart the mission (ESC > Restart   or    ESC > Mainhall > Loading the mission again), then you have ABTrails  :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Now we are going to force the pilot corruption:
    • Press Esc to leave the mission.
    • Then in mainhall, select Continue. Ie, start the campaign.
    • The very first mission is just a scripted cutscene. Press Esc to finish the mission. Voilá, your pilot is corrupted. I upload compressed RARs of pilot data files (before and after corruption).
    • Go to Mission Simulator > Ctrl+Shift+S > BP-10.fs2, and take a look at the loadout screens.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:20:49 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Crashes on startup every time for me.
I have noticed a lot of reports during testing of some ATI drivers crashing when linking shaders, so I'm going to assume that this is the same thing.  Bobboau had some similar issue (can't remember if he worked it out or not), but none of the other testers did.  But during research into other ATI related issues I had to work out I remember seeing this problem crop up quite a bit.  Typically the reports that I saw indicated that it was fixed with a driver upgrade, but I never did determine if there was a specific driver release/series which demonstrated the problem.

Well, I've discovered two issues afterburners trails not showing (3.6.9. works fine) and while I was investigating this one I found a pilot data corruption (3.6.9. also has it). OTOH Mantis is down...
Downloading it all now.  I should be able to fix the AB trail problem later today, but I'm not sure what's up with the pilot file corruption.  I'll go through the various files, figure out what's going on, and try to get it fixed for a new test build next week.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

[/li]
    [li]Now we are going to force the pilot corruption:
    • Press Esc to leave the mission.
    • Then in mainhall, select Continue. Ie, start the campaign.
    • The very first mission is just a scripted cutscene. Press Esc to finish the mission. Voilá, your pilot is corrupted. I upload compressed RARs of pilot data files (before and after corruption).
    • Go to Mission Simulator > Ctrl+Shift+S > BP-10.fs2, and take a look at the loadout screens.
    [/li]
    [/list]

OK, one, use ****ing spoiler tags so people who haven't played Blue Planet and are reading this don't have anything spoiled. Why the **** are you using escape to get out of that mission anyways? :wtf:
    To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
    I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
    Taylor, I've been able to corrupt my pilot at least 5 times just before posting but I can't do it any more  :confused: :confused:

The only thing that has happened during this time is that, because I have not noticed that my BP pilots were erased, once I've launched the game loading my previous FS2 campaign pilot. So maybe this pilot is now corrupted because mod mixing.

Maybe this issue can be a hint. I mean, when you create a new pilot in the initial Select Pilot screen, does the code wrongly look at the active pilot somehow? (And I do mean Create, not Clone, I know the difference between them).

EDITED ------

I've just retested from the OK pilot I've uploaded before. If you follow the steps, the pilot is corrupted. So I really think that something went wrong creating that pilot files I don't know why...

But I cannot create a conflictive pilot anymore. I've tried changing mod (to Derelict), loading its pilot and then reloading BluePlanet and creating a new pilot when the default pilot is Derelict one (which never touched Blue Planet...)...

OK, one, use ****ing spoiler tags so people who haven't played Blue Planet and are reading this don't have anything spoiled. Why the **** are you using escape to get out of that mission anyways? :wtf:

Cobra, I'm just posting THE SHORTEST way to force a pilot corruption. As I've said I was playing around with the no AB trails issue when my pilot file got corrupted. OTOH, this is a build thread, not the MOD thread. I'm not going to use spoiler tags just to annoy Taylor's reading.
    « Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:17:40 pm by ARSPR »
    IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
    • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
      A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
      (Lobo deserves a monument).
    • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
      FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
      Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
    nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

AAAAAAARGH! Still have to wait for like ... next summer vacation before I can try this out!

Offline starfox

Finally got the normal maps working !
    Again, it was oh-so-simple in the end, just had to turn off all the flags in the Launcher Features Tab, and then reactivate them. Then I just put these as my only custom flags:

-normal -height -ambient_factor 60

Works like a charm now, Thank you !  :P
    Rig:
    A8N-SLI Premium
    AMD 64 X2 4200+
    GF 7950 GT
    X-FI ExtremeMusic
    HEC 550W
    2 Gt RAM
    Win XP

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
    • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
      Compiling shader ->  b-vert.sdr / b-frag.sdr ...
      Shader failed to link...
    Fragment shader(s) linked,  vertex shader(s) failed to link.
      Shader in_error!  Disabling GLSL!

tried the idea above, still have this problem.

suggestions? (Radeon x600 mobile, running on omega catalyst 3.8.41, which is based on catalyst 7.9.1)
    10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
    10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
    10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.

Cobra I am really getting  tired of your ****ty and arrogant atitude. If you don't  get your act together, and start behaving noramlly towards other memebers I will ban your ass from these forums permanently. I don't care if you are part of some of the projects here. I really hope this warning gets through your thick skull.[/list]
      « Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:43:33 am by Windrunner »
      Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
      I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
      • The diminutive form of Turambar.
        • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
      Some more normal map shots, just because they're so awesome:

I'm actually getting 120fps, just it drops to 11fps when I take a screenshot.
      Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
      "Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
      why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
      • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
        • Minecraft
        • Twitter
        • Fate of the Galaxy
      Ok, cleaned out all my old drivers, updated to Catalyst 7.10s for my Ati Radeon 9800 Pro, tried running the game, and get this:

fs2_open_3_6_10-20071007T caused an Access Violation in module atioglxx.dll at 001b:69372c31.
      Exception handler called in FreeSpace 2 Main Thread.
      Error occurred at 10/13/2007 11:36:36.
      D:\Games\FS2SCP\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_10-20071007T.exe, run by Cliff.
      1 processor(s), type 586.
      1024 MBytes physical memory.
      Read from location 0db8e000 caused an access violation.

Full copy of errorlog.txt from regular build available at http://rafb.net/p/JTlTAY79.html
      errorlog from debug build:  http://rafb.net/p/3sKnoP10.html

Command line:  D:\Games\FS2SCP\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_10-20071007T.exe -spec -glow -env -mipmap -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -normal -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -snd_preload -window

D:\Games\FS2SCP\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_10_debug-20071007T.exe -spec -glow -env -mipmap -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -normal -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -snd_preload -window -debug_window

Debug spew from debug build available here:  http://rafb.net/p/ffFnSm96.html
      Ran again, got a little different info on the spew window:  http://rafb.net/p/YgeAGm49.html - more stuff at the bottom than first time

That's pretty much all the info I have, hope it helps.  Seems to be related to the error Turambar is having, and we've been using radically different drivers up till now.  He was using some version of the Omega optimized drivers, and I was using NGO HQ Ati drivers, and now we've both switched to Ati's official 7.10 driver.

Update:  If I run the game with only the command line options below:
      D:\Games\FS2SCP\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_10_debug-20071007T.exe -window -debug_window

The game runs, but I get terrible framerates in the tech room while viewing the ships.  Like less than one frame a second or so.
      « Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 11:57:24 am by chief1983 »
      Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
      Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
      #freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
      iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
      redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
      iamzack:  lays

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
        • Mods, Games, and Stuff
      So what is a GLSL shader? How do I get those to work on my computer?
      To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
      Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
      The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
      Ok, cleaned out all my old drivers, updated to Catalyst 7.10s for my Ati Radeon 9800 Pro, tried running the game, and get this:

< -- snip -- >

The game runs, but I get terrible framerates in the tech room while viewing the ships.  Like less than one frame a second or so.
      The speed issue is obvious when you consider the problem, it's falling back on a software rendering path.  That will make it really slow.  I know what the basic problem is, since someone else had it during testing as well.  In that case it was a simple driver upgrade that fixed it, but in your case I think that it's a combination of software and hardware.

I think that it can be fixed, but I can't honesty say that I will actually fix it.  I really just need to get my hands on one of those cards to test with.  Without it, there would be a near endless amount of trial and error to go through to get the problem(s) resolved.  It would basically just be a serious waste of my time.  :(

But, all is not lost, since there is the strong possibility that someone on the forums will have the required hardware, the knowledge, and the desire to fix it themselves.  That's the good thing about the shaders, you don't need any code experience with the engine to work on them, and you don't need to mess with the game code at all to make changes.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
        • Minecraft
        • Twitter
      Some more normal map shots, just because they're so awesome:

I'm actually getting 120fps, just it drops to 11fps when I take a screenshot.

Your normals aren't being rendered correctly. :nervous: