Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422921 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.7.8 (combined launcher/installer)
It's a change introduced in 3.8.0 and isn't influenced by which launcher you use. However, FSO will still use the old path if the new folder doesn't exist or if you're using the portable mode.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Okay but, I don't want it to use the new path, ever. Screenshots&logs saved somewhere deep on my C: drive is really inconvenient imho, this is one of those changes I wish would get discussed rather than just implemented. Can Knossos' screenshot button be configured to take any other path instead?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
(P.s. I know I've said this before, but it cannot be overstated, Knossos is really nice, neat and cool)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I could make it configurable but that would be rather pointless since the path is hardcoded in FSO. The fact that FSO still uses the old path for you most likely means that it also ignores the settings and flags Knossos tries to pass to FSO since they're all in AppData. I could implement support for FSO's portable mode but I think that's still marked as experimental...
Could you run a debug build and check where the debug log is written?

(P.s. I know I've said this before, but it cannot be overstated, Knossos is really nice, neat and cool)
Thanks a lot! :)

Hopefully, I'll be able to implement global FSO settings (instead of mod-specific) soon. There's still a lot of other stuff left to work on but I think that's one of the few things that's stopping people from using it as a default launcher.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:54:38 am by ngld »

Offline pim

Hi ngld. I like your approach. Really hassle free, easy to use design. I tried hard to find something to nitpick about but failed miserably:-).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
For some reason I can't find the knossos config folder anymore, it doesn't seem to be at ~/.knossos on my Macs now.  I blew away the data folder, which did remove its knowledge of my mods, but it did not re-run the first launch wizard to find FSO.  Ok, I did manage to find that under Settings -> Install Retail or whatever it was called.  But given that I ran it manually, the dialog did not make much sense as it said I was trying to install a mod that required FS2 retail data (I was just trying to install FS2 retail data though so that text is confusing I think).  Also, after selecting the folder to copy the data from and hitting continue, the dialog closed but nothing else happened.  No "copy complete", etc, and the button didn't disappear until I reloaded the settings page after checking the Home page to see Retail FS2 had indeed appeared.  So, everything worked well enough, but the process was a little confusing.  And where _is_ that config folder/file now if I want to reset this thing completely?  I could have sworn I'd found it once before but it seems like it moved on me. :P

Also should mention, the reason I blew away the data directory is that the SCP mod had been installed in a broken state while SSL was broken, and after updating Knossos and checking file integrity, it did download files, but the mod metadata still seemed messed up, the images in both Home and Explore were still broken.  Blowing away the data directory and starting it over seemed to be the only way to fix it.  Probably a really edge case thing, but I thought you might want to know that the file integrity check didn't seem to 100% fix a broken mod install at the moment.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Hello ! Just got an error while playing Burning Heaven, during a mission (don't remember which one : it's the one I have to "dive ! dive ! dive !" while crossing the path of an Hecate destroyer).

My log is uploaded here :

https://fsnebula.org/log/5a52313ecb8db13e6821cc94

Seems to have corrupted my player file  :blah: It's related to a radar problem ? ("Player file has invalid radar range -1")

If I delete the current player file in the appdata/roaming folder, I can play normally again. If not, the error appear in every mod I launch.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Satellight, that sounds like a mod/FSO issue and not related to Knossos. Might want to post the same thing in the FSO Support forum.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Satellight, that sounds like a mod/FSO issue and not related to Knossos. Might want to post the same thing in the FSO Support forum.

Hi ! You're right, I'm doing it now. I was confused while testing  :lol:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@pim: Thanks for the great review. :lol:

@chief: The settings should be stored in ~/Library/Preferences/knossos on macOS. The retail install dialog is still the same one we used before the new first run assistant and the "Install Retail" button was a quick solution. I need to rewrite that dialog but as so many other things, it wasn't as important as the other stuff I'm currently working on.  ;)
The file validation only covers the mod's own files so it wouldn't detect corrupted screenshots, banners, etc.

I am curious as to why Knossos Blue Planet Complete download is quite a bit smaller than the Freespace Open Installer files.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
It shouldn't be. I just checked and the archives the installer downloads seem to be as big as the download size Knossos lists. What sizes do you see?

Maybe there are some old files in my install. I have a bpc-advanced1.vp, bpc-advanced21.vp and bpc-advanced3.vp files that are quite large. Do they now belong anymore?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's the BP team, themselves, that put BP Complete on Knossos. Presumably, it would be the most up-to-date and complete option, regardless of whatever anyone downloaded before from anywhere.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

It's the BP team, themselves, that put BP Complete on Knossos. Presumably, it would be the most up-to-date and complete option, regardless of whatever anyone downloaded before from anywhere.

They are the optional high-resolution textures that and are not downloaded by the newest Freespace 2 Installer or the Knossos installer from what I have tested.  I have posted in the Blue Planet forum about asking if it was an oversight or these are not used anymore.

Looking forward to seeing The Babylon Project being added to Knossos

I have been using Reshade/SweetFX on Freespace 2 Open using the wxLauncher with success. It does add to the graphics IMO.  With the way the folder structure is for Knossos I have not had much success getting it to work.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Where did you put the .dll files? You could try these locations: <basefolder>\bin\FSO-3.8.0-2, <basefolder>\FS2 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Knossos (or wherever you've installed it). The base folder is the folder you selected during the first run and defaults to C:\Games\FreespaceOpen. If you use a different FSO version, then you might need to copy your .dlls into the other subfolders in bin as well.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Where did you put the .dll files? You could try these locations: <basefolder>\bin\FSO-3.8.0-2, <basefolder>\FS2 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Knossos (or wherever you've installed it). The base folder is the folder you selected during the first run and defaults to C:\Games\FreespaceOpen. If you use a different FSO version, then you might need to copy your .dlls into the other subfolders in bin as well.

Would it be easily possible to add ReShade/SweetFX support to Knossos?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
It should be fairly simple but I'm not certain if what I have in mind would work or not.

My solution would be the following: I create a new empty folder called addon_dlls (or something like that) in Knossos' directory. Whenever Knossos launches FSO, it'll put that folder as the first item in the PATH. This should cause Windows to find the ReShade DLLs and load them instead of the stock DirectX DLLs. (ReShade provides a wrapper around the real DirectX DLLs which is how it hooks into games).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It should be fairly simple but I'm not certain if what I have in mind would work or not.

My solution would be the following: I create a new empty folder called addon_dlls (or something like that) in Knossos' directory. Whenever Knossos launches FSO, it'll put that folder as the first item in the PATH. This should cause Windows to find the ReShade DLLs and load them instead of the stock DirectX DLLs. (ReShade provides a wrapper around the real DirectX DLLs which is how it hooks into games).

Wat.  FSO uses OpenGL, not DirectX.  DX was canned a long time ago.  Am I missing something?  How are people using ReS/SFX then?  Or do they also have an OGL wrapper?