Author Topic: Amun or Osiris?  (Read 10711 times)

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
At least the Amun is getting the respect it deserves, with the new, shiny HTL model recently released.

Amun = decent, large coolness. Osiris? Pah.

EDIT: Now that this topic is split and I got the unceremonious position of first post, I had to fit it with context.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:41:36 pm by Black_Yoshi1230 »
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The lead designer of the Osiris was turned by the GTA and worked as a secret agent for the Terran military.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Try intercepting with a Valk a wing of Orisises with Avenger turrets and improved AI, and then tell me it sucks. That thing is scary, I'm telling ya. Really scary.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Try intercepting with a Valk a wing of Orisises with Avenger turrets and improved AI, and then tell me it sucks. That thing is scary, I'm telling ya. Really scary.

Fury AI makes it dangerous to attack two fighters at once. Attacking four bombers with turrets is going to be almost suicidal, regardless of how crappy the individual ships are.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

With shields or without? Because without shields they shouldn't even have Avengers.

Also the Amun also has two turrets.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Shields ? You think a continuous salvo of hellishly accurate Avengers gives a **** about puny Valk shields ? :p

The Amun isn't better with its Banshees, but you meet the Osiris more often.

Fury AI makes it dangerous to attack two fighters at once. Attacking four bombers with turrets is going to be almost suicidal, regardless of how crappy the individual ships are.
Try attacking a wing of Artemis instead of a wing of Osiris. Or a wing of Boanerges. Hell, even a wing of Sekhmets. Those are pieces of cake because you can evade being in front of their guns. You can't evade being in the field of fire of Osiris or Amun turrets.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Shields ? You think a continuous salvo of hellishly accurate Avengers gives a **** about puny Valk shields ? :p

Try attacking a wing of Artemis instead of a wing of Osiris. Or a wing of Boanerges. Hell, even a wing of Sekhmets. Those are pieces of cake because you can evade being in front of their guns. You can't evade being in the field of fire of Osiris or Amun turrets.

The Osiris doesn't have Avenger turrets, it has Prometheus or Prometheus R. I have a feeling you're better at FreeSpace than me, because a wing of Artemis with Fury AI would be quite dangerous to me (so long as they actually bothered to defend themselves).

The Amun could do exactly the same thing, and it carries far more bombs and armor.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

The Osiris doesn't have Avenger turrets, it has Prometheus or Prometheus R. I have a feeling you're better at FreeSpace than me, because a wing of Artemis with Fury AI would be quite dangerous to me (so long as they actually bothered to defend themselves).

The Amun could do exactly the same thing, and it carries far more bombs and armor.

If an Amun actually turns to attack you directly it can do a hell of a lot more damage to you than an Osiris can.

--General Battuta

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
How would an Amun attack you with its primaries, it'd need to outturn you.

What are you flying, a cruiser ?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

:lol:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

I do understand that you're not a native English speaker, however, there's a reason he put 'If' on the front of his sentence.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist

How would an Osiris attack you with its primaries, it'd need to outturn you and overcome its terrible gun placement. The Amun is still pretty bad in that regard, but at least it has a better chance with four guns instead of two.

The Amun would point at you while you're attacking one of its wingmen and bury you under Prometheus fire and Furies.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
How would an Osiris attack you with its primaries, it'd need to outturn you and overcome its terrible gun placement.
My point is that it doesn't need to, because it has two turrets with excellent coverage.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
My point is that it doesn't need to, because it has two turrets with excellent coverage.

So what? It's still unlikely to survive an attack by even one interceptor. The Amun has worse coverage and handling, but also far more firepower, armor and shielding. It also has a smaller target profile, which gives it some measure of evasion to offset its terrible maneuverability.

Yes, a wing of Osirises with Fury turret AI is dangerous. As is a wing of Medusas, Ursas, Amuns, Seraphims, or Nephilims. This does not prevent the Osiris from being a piece of crap bomber with a deficient payload.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
I also forgot the Osiris can carry the UD-8 Kayser, but not the Maxim. Huh.

Back to the Amun, would it be able to stand up to snuff against Second War era craft like Deimoses and stuff?
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Better than the Osiris could.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Split from HTL Amun discussion, here.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Gosh darn if people would be are jealous of the  new amun, I'll just go and make a new shiny osiris! :p
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'm not convinced an Amun is more dangerous than an Osiris against fighters. As far as I can tell, cover fire is important (which is why the Boanerges is so bad in the first place). And if an Osiris has better/more cover fire than an Amun, I can't imagine the latter to be better at even attacking other bombers.

And with the Trebuchet in  production by FS2, I don't think Amuns stand a good chance of surviving the period.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I preffer Osiris, because the gunpoints on Amun are so far from each other they miss a herc from 200m range :P I'd take sekkie/baka over one of these any time.

And seriously, did the turrets really kill anyone ever? IMHO if it ain't kayser turret or better, it does squat.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::