Poll

Of those listed, what is your favorite ship name?

Clarion Call
Summer's End
Child of the Mountain
Unending Voyage

Author Topic: POLL: What's In A Name?  (Read 8396 times)

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
POLL: What's In A Name?
FS2H is humming along smoothly as of late and things are finally falling into place! However, I decided to reach out to the community to choose the name of the ship that most of the missions for Chapter I will take place from. It's an old frigate that's seen better days with a captain that's eager to prove that his ship can keep up with the best of the newer class of frigates (such as the In Amber Clad and those like it).

As always your comments and thoughts are most welcome!  :yes:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: POLL: What's In A Name?
"Unending Voyage" sounds like it would be better for a Covenant ship.

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
"Unending Voyage" sounds like it would be better for a Covenant ship.

Totally agree with you!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Summers End because it's in the same vain as Pillar of Autumn
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Glad to see this project is still rolling!
---
Clarion Call
Summers End
Child of the Mountain
Unending Voyage
---
Below are all my opinions, feel free to critizize. But please keep it civilized.
---
Clarion Call:
A pretty "normal" ship name, fits quite well with a UNSC ship (Anything smaller than a UNSC Destroyer).
I have a feeling this name would fit best with a UNSC Prowler, Corvette or Light Frigate (Note I said Light, not Heavy, like UNSC Grafton.)
---
Summers End:
I agree with headdie, it's in the same vain as Pillars of Autumn. But that's also exactly why I disagree with having this name for a Frigate. Because UNSC Pillar of Autumn and her sister ships are all Halcyon class Cruisers, not Frigates. However, it's still a great name that you came up with.
---
Child of the Mountain:
Weird name, change it to Mountain Child instead then I can imagine it being a UNSC Heavy Frigate or Destroyer.
---
Unending Voyage:
Yeah, Covenant ship.
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Child of the Mountain has an Asian feel. It'd work as is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I debated between Summer's End and Clarion Call, but ultimately had to go with Summer's End. Clarion Call, as said before, seems a bit too ordinary of a name to me. Summer's End speaks to the feeling of twilight that the ship has gone through, being eclipsed by the newer and more advanced ships designed to replace it. Yes, it does sound a bit like the Autumn, but I personally have no problem with this.

And yes, definitely give Unending Voyage to a Covenant ship, it fits perfectly with their motives and background.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline starlord

I like clarion call!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Summer's End sounds appropriate for your description of the vessel.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline starlord

devrous, do you plan on demonstrating anything by video regarding FS2H shortly?

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Yes I do! I'm still working on some hosting and a few other technical issues since I converted from the old FSO to the latest (remember it was originally developed on a version of FSO a few years old). There are a few videos currently in other threads that I'll try to get linked to in one post soon.

I've been working a lot on the intro cinematic lately and will post it when I have it nearer to completion.

NOTE: It's "Summer's End" not "Summers End". The latter is an actual, grammatically-correct sentence, stating that summers (as in the season "Summer", referred to as a collective plural) always end (because that's what they do).

...which would not make sense as a ship name (or a name in general).

Personally, I'd pick something aside from those four. I'd go with the "Balaclava"--the name of the battle in which the famous Charge of the Light Brigade occurred. Thematically, it fits in line with the canon "Gettysburg" from First Strike (also a frigate), and both featured brave, suicidal charges (that were not intended to be suicidal originally). Though notably, there were a significant number of survivors from the Charge of the Light Brigade.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline starlord

Devrous. Any news of activity on this? What about that intro you're working on?

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
The intro, yes...my perfectionist self is tripping me up on it as I haven't got it to where I want it. Seeing that it'll be the first folks see I wanna nail it, you know? :P

General status at the moment:
-Getting web space for game files
-Teaching myself texturing with maps not painting it on >.<
-Rewriting mission flow; first stab at it was horrible in my own opinion
-Misc model fixes (infinite holes, invisible faces, etc.)

Offline starlord

Have you also considered a filedump to preserve your work? Also are you still in this solo or do you plan to recruit at some point?

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
I'll certainly be dumping it somewhere if for no other reason than data security.

I'd love to get help on it so it can finally get to a point where it's ready and playable and not just 'perpetually in progress' or beta-ish. Causality had the right idea and I'll probably follow his example. The things that are in greatest need is someone that understands texture mapping better than my elementary knowledge, as well as improving the models. But at this point the goal is to get it functional before making it "pretty."

More on that later  :P

Maybe you could create "talents needed" or "recruitment" thread,  and list+detail what kind of help you need there.