19 (7.5%)
GTF Myrmidon
14 (5.5%)
GTF Ares
43 (16.9%)
GTF Ulysses
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Favorite terran fighter  (Read 97337 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Favorite terran fighter
GTF Erinyes FTW. It has 8 gunpoints, good secondary ammo, and good shields and health. It can beat the Ares easily if piloted right.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
That, and the fact that the Ursa is so big that it takes the full force of enemy fire, especially flak, which can be death in an Ursa.
The Ursa is good if you have enough cover. Unfortunately, no FS2 mission gives bombers enough cover.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
:necro:

Necrothreaded after exactly 364 days, 22 hours, 28 minutes and 41 seconds! Oh... so close! The mods will arrive shortly... I think.

Anyways--I find the Loki too fragile to be an interceptor--and that's saying quite a lot. It's basically a small flying brick with shark teeth--it's not anywhere near my favorite, though I love the HTL version of it!

The GTF Loki has 400 shields and 250 armor, making it tougher than the Valkyrie (200/200), Horus (230/170 or 200/120 depending on whether it's FS2 or FS1), or Serapis (220/200), and about equal to the Perseus (350/265).
In FS1, Lokis were good. My question is about turning radius and bank capacity. When I mean fragile, I also mean can't carry a decent load of secondaries and low primary energy too.

In other words, you don't mean "fragile", but "poorly armed".
To me, it's a bit of both. I add the ability to protect one self to being fragile. For example, I'd consider an Ursa without a top-mounted Kayser to be fragile because, even with its monster hull and shield points, it moves and turns too slowly to make a decent attempt at defending itself. Quite a few ships I consider like that--but the Loki is in the group.

The Loki is not a space superiority fighter. Part of flying the Loki is having to outmaneuver enemy ships and evade enemy fire, and the Loki is fast, agile, and small enough to do that very well. If the stealth had worked properly, it would have been an awesome ship.

EDIT: The Loki has as much weapon energy as a GTF Hercules, which is plenty. So all you're missing is missiles, which I can live without.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline admiral_wolf

• Commander of the Orion class Destroyer GTD Galatea
I call for this poll to be discounted immediatly, as it seems as if the entire 242nd Suicide Kings have commandeered this thread!  How can anything beat the nostaligia of the original Hercules?

OK, she wasn't the fastest fighter and a Manticore (I hate these more than Dragons) can quite happly piss on the Herc pilot and run away safe in the knowledge that the Shivan git would never get caught.  However, the Herc could carry pretty much every missle and if I remember correctly, the Phoenix V Anti Bomber Warhead.  What heavy assault pilot could ask for more?  Yes they required learned skill to fly them, but once acclimatised, Hercs will soon become your friend.
I reject your reality and substitute my own, hence my existance on the Galatea!

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well The ares is a shall we say a better heavy fighter then the Herc since it can also carry almost every missile if i remember corectly. Also it has massive firepower from its gun ports and it has plenty of energy to ensure you take out more then just one figher before its energy get too low. I mean that thing handles more or less like brick made of lead but oh man does it have some sweet firepower on it not to mention massive armour and shields. I love that fighter.

Also the original Hercules is also top 10 in my list.  If im gooing for gun port firepower then the Erynyes take no 1 place all the way. Too bad its energy reserve isnt that big in order to handle  the Kaiser in a decent enough fashion. However the amount of energy it does provide is more then enough to take out any enemy bommber and/or fighter. In fact several of them i might say.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
GTF Erinyes FTW. It has 8 gunpoints, good secondary ammo, and good shields and health. It can beat the Ares easily if piloted right.

GTF Ares FTW. It has 6 gunpoints, really good secondary ammo, really good shields and health. It can beat the Erinyes easily if piloted right.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Statistics
Type    Heavy Assault
Manufacturer    Triton Dynamics
Maneuverability    Average
Max Velocity    65.0 - 70.0 ms-1
Max Afterburner Velocity    130.0 ms-1
Armor    Heavy
Hitpoints    325
Shields    500
Length    17 m

[edit] Armaments

* Gun Mounts

Freespace 2
Bank    Guns    Standard Loadout
1st    4    Subach HL-7
2st    4    Prometheus R
Compatible Primaries
Subach HL-7, Akheton SDG, Prometheus R, Prometheus S, Morning Star, UD-8 Kayser, Lamprey, Circe, Maxim

* Missile Banks

Freespace 2
Bank    Capacity    Standard Loadout
1st    40    Harpoon
2nd    50    Hornet
Compatible Secondaries
MX-64, Emp. Adv, Harpoon, Tempest, Hornet, Tornado, Trebuchet, Infyrno, TAG-A, TAG-B
[edit] Veteran Comments
Statistics
Type    Strategic Assault
Manufacturer    Nankam Aeronautical
Maneuverability    Poor
Max Velocity    50.0 - 62.0 ms-1
Max Afterburner Velocity    120.0 ms-1
Armor    Ultra Heavy
Hitpoints    425
Shields    650
Length    20 m

[edit] Armaments

* Gun Mounts

Freespace 2
Bank    Guns    Standard Loadout
1st    2    Subach HL-7
2st    4    Prometheus R
Compatible Primaries
Subach HL-7, Akheton SDG, Prometheus R, Prometheus S, Morning Star, UD-8 Kayser, Lamprey, Circe, Maxim

* Missile Banks

Freespace 2
Bank    Capacity    Standard Loadout
1st    90    Harpoon
2nd    100    Hornet
Compatible Secondaries
MX-64, Emp. Adv, Harpoon, Tempest, Hornet, Tornado, Trebuchet, Infyrno
Erinyes beats the Ares hands down in maneuverability and speed.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And what about armor and secondary capacity?

Maneuverability doesn't matter when you just sit and lob missiles at people without needing to reload.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Meh, no one talks about the shape...the GTF Perseus owns.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Maneuverability may no matter so much at all. Some people are absolutely way better at flying huge tubs than they are a perseus. Just comes with the preference of handling that people prefer uniquely.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
And difficulty level.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I like the Ares. ALL_THE_WAY. :beamz:

Ah, I'll disagree on that, Möbius. The Perseus IS manoeuvrable, no doubts about that, but I really dislike it because it's way too slippery for me to handle. :warp:

By the way, which is less manoeuvrable...the Ursa or Ares? I once got beamed to death by the NTC Alba while flying the box.

I never used the Loki in both FS1 and FS2. I would always prefer using other craft like the Ulysses, for example.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:10:08 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
The Ares is actually more maneuverable than the Ursa (and the Artemis for that matter).

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
I make most of my kills with my primaries so the Erinyes is tailor made for me.
The Signature is a Nuke!

The Ulysses has been growing on me over the past several months.  Yeah, it's thin-skinned, but damn, it's fun to fly.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
The Ulysses has been growing on me over the past several months.  Yeah, it's thin-skinned, but damn, it's fun to fly.
I'll second that. They're dang hard to hit, though. But still, give all your wingmen Ulysses and then give orders to attack a single target. :lol:
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Meh, no one talks about the colour...the GTF Ares owns.
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Meh, no one talks about the colour...the GTF Ares owns.

So you've never seen the GTF Pegasus in that case...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Brown is the color of poo.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
just finished the FS2 campagin for the first time in 2+ years, and i just have to say:

give me an erinyes with two kaysers, and i WILL kill you.