Poll

Where should the TBP board be moved to?

Leave it where it is.
4 (13.8%)
Into its own section like Diaspora
11 (37.9%)
Into a new FS2_Open Games (or Other Games) section.
7 (24.1%)
Zombie Snuffleupagus
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: October 01, 2012, 07:44:08 pm

Author Topic: What to do with the TBP board?  (Read 6761 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What to do with the TBP board?
So, I've just moved the Diaspora board cause the number of child boards was getting ridiculous. TBP doesn't have this issue but I don't want anyone thinking I'm slighting you by not moving you (Tolwyn can move Wing Commander Saga if he so desires).

Poll is for public opinion but I'll value the opinions of the devs more highly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What to do with the TBP board?
I'm envious! If we open up a bunch of child boards can we get our own section? We've certainly got the total post count for it.  :nervous:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think it was the combination of having lots of child boards + being lost in a sea of Freespace mods we have nothing to do with. Blue Planet is and always will be Freespace related.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think Diaspora is a more important thing for the community anyway, and deserves a bit more infrastructure.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Also I voted for TBP getting its own little cluster, given how awesome TBP is and how much work has gone into it.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm OK with it staying where it is.  If we managed to get ourselves more attention however, then I feel that something more elaborate might be in order, but for the time being, I feel that no change is necessary.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Personally I'm in favour of a "Full Games" section instead of just staying here. Something that makes it clear that TBP and WCS are games you can just download without needing FS2.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I think it would be fair to separate mods from total conversions. TBP like WoD and others would go under TC category for not requiring original FS2 to play.

However, that still wouldn't solve the Diaspora issue because you just replace one category with another. But you can't give each TC its own category either. If you want to keep things fair, then Diaspora would also go under TC category. Or if you want to give Diaspora special treatment, leave it to its own category.

Or, you can talk to Sandwich and design new forum index that utilizes screen estate better to display large number of categories and boards under them. The default index displays a lot of unnecessary information such as number of posts, topics and last posted. So get rid of those and make use of that space.

Traditional index page really isn't good for showing large number of categories and boards, amount of scrolling require is ridiculous. I only use "show unread posts since last visit" and it serves me well and I don't waste time going through each board one by one.

One possible design for index page could be that it only displays categories at first, then user selects category and it displays all boards under that category below the categories. That way you never get obstinate amount of boards thrown at you at once. To take it further, the index could allow to store last selected category to a cookie. So if someone only ever reads Diaspora boards, the category is saved for him/her and displayed when he/she visits the next time.

Be creative in how you do things and put that Sandwich to work. :p But considering what pain the mainpage has been and still is. I probably shouldn't have mentioned this, as it'll never get done.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'm in a favour of a "Standalone game/mod" section as well. FotG will join it later as well, possibly others. WoD2 could use the breathing room when it'll happen as well.

"Standalone" is better than "Total Conversion" imho because not needing FS2 is usually one of the major selling points.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was under the impression WoD still required FS2 if not, the same applies to them.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Inferno will, I believe, be launching standalone.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I was under the impression WoD still required FS2 if not, the same applies to them.

put it like this, WoD uses several civilian ships as civilian ships
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
WoD2 will be made standalone, AFAIK. I think Spoon just cba to standalone WoD1, maybe he'll do it around WoD2 release. He'll be able to confirm this.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I think it would be fair to separate mods from total conversions. TBP like WoD and others would go under TC category for not requiring original FS2 to play.

Second

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I'd say, have each TC have their own bopard, like Diaspora - if they wish so.
Not sure if a certain rule set is necessary - e.g. number of sub-boards, FS2 independent, whatever.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I say "like Diaspora".
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline wesp5

After having played a little bit of Diaspora I think The Babylon Project has the right to get the same treatment. Also now again I value the fantastic ships and energy beams of Babylon 5 even more, compared to the boring black and white battles in the new Battlestar Galactica universe :)!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
After having played a little bit of Diaspora I think The Babylon Project has the right to get the same treatment. Also now again I value the fantastic ships and energy beams of Babylon 5 even more, compared to the boring black and white battles in the new Battlestar Galactica universe :)!

c'mon son, let's be nerd friends here

Offline wesp5

c'mon son, let's be nerd friends here

That wasn't meant to insult the Diaspora creators, their mod is great! But all the ships are basically grey, I know what I liked so much about Babylon 5 ;)...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

The question is not about the right. Pretty much all the released standalone games have the right.

It's about what the game needs. I gave Diaspora its own section because it was getting very crowded having everything on one board. TBP never struck me as being as crowded, even in its prime. Maybe a section in the Standalone Games is all it needs. I don't think TBP should be in its own section just because Diaspora is. That's like a 5 year old's version of fair. :p It should be in its own section if that is what it needs to develop further.

Bear in mind that it's quite possible that TBP might actually get noticed by more people in a Standalone Games section than it might be in its own section.