Author Topic: Making the HUD more interesting  (Read 11962 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Making the HUD more interesting
Battlezone in space with the FS universe; that would be my dream game. ;) :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by CP5670
Battlezone in space with the FS universe; that would be my dream game. ;) :D

Yeah baby! :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Thermal imaging for foggy nebulas... :D

Actually, being able to real-time witch between maps on ships would be useful... like swapping a fighter skin for an inivisble 'cloak' skin, or for a thermal outline type thing.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
now here is another idea, how about a beam lock warning, flashes "warning beam lock" in the hud and shows a simple cylindrical wire frame of were the beam will fire, you have about 1/16 a second to do somethng about it, also shows a wireframe around were bigger beams are about to fire

Kickass Bobboau!  That sounds really cool.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Originally posted by aldo_14
Thermal imaging for foggy nebulas... :D

Actually, being able to real-time witch between maps on ships would be useful... like swapping a fighter skin for an inivisble 'cloak' skin, or for a thermal outline type thing.

I don't think you need an invisible cloak skin, you just tell the game to not render the fighter.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
for nebula missions, it would be nice if ships were drawn in 2d on the hud in green lines...or perhaps make it a feature you can turn on and off with the touch of a key.  Ships hidden behind other objects (asteriods or other ships) can be drawn in red lines, or atleast use red for the parts that are hidden.

as for how these lines are drawn, they can be separate models that only show the sides you're facing, these will be clear on surfaces but green for the outline of major surfaces.  This will also allow the person making the ship to determine which lines show up.  The red lines can just be a hud generated thing, swaping out the green for red in the pixels that are covered by another ship/other object.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by LtNarol
for nebula missions, it would be nice if ships were drawn in 2d on the hud in green lines...or perhaps make it a feature you can turn on and off with the touch of a key.  Ships hidden behind other objects (asteriods or other ships) can be drawn in red lines, or atleast use red for the parts that are hidden.

as for how these lines are drawn, they can be separate models that only show the sides you're facing, these will be clear on surfaces but green for the outline of major surfaces.  This will also allow the person making the ship to determine which lines show up.  The red lines can just be a hud generated thing, swaping out the green for red in the pixels that are covered by another ship/other object.

Cool idea, but I think it would make more sense to use IFF colors - green = friendly, red=hostile, etc.  Maybe gray, or a different shade of the IFF color, for hidden objects...
your source code slave

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
about the 3dmap i remember an old game using it, it was "epic".
there was just the top and bottom face of the cube, seen in long perspective, but the mess was to understand the z axis position (the relative high).
Personally i still prefer,maybe just beacuse i'm more used at it, the front/rear radar style, cause i find it more intuitive, but if we want a 3d solution this may work better: a circle seen in perspectiv (that represent x and y axis, like a map), a flshing central dot -our position- and the dots of the otherships around us with a line that connect the dots to the base of the radar, the circle i was talking about. The lines would probably help a lot to understand the z axis position, but the all stuff should be anyway enough big or it will become just a mess

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You mean, the way it's done in FRED, with an XZ plane and lines attaching all the ships to it...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
well, i thought about using iff colors, but that would be more coding, not to mention the fact that gray doesnt show up well in nebulas, red tends to fly out and hit you in the face.  Not to mention florescent green :D

Offline untouchable

• Fear the DA...
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/da
Originally posted by IceFire

Kickass Bobboau!  That sounds really cool.
Ditto :nod:
"The Darkness shall  befall us all."
-Commander William Wright

"Violence is merely the means of the incompotent"
-Felix Steighner
----------------------
The Darkness is Coming

Untouchable has spoken :D

The beam warning sounds great. :nod::yes:
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##

I don't think you need an invisible cloak skin, you just tell the game to not render the fighter.

Nah....because you want to have cloak effects, which can be imitated by - for example - an invisible green map with black bits in it, so it's noty entirely transparent.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by aldo_14

Nah....because you want to have cloak effects, which can be imitated by - for example - an invisible green map with black bits in it, so it's noty entirely transparent.

would be dull, flying black dots :p
I'd rather have the actual map with opacity at 10%, ala wing co 4
SCREW CANON!

Are you kidding? Flying against a black ship would be almost impossible because of the whole blackness of space thing.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
until you get to the nebulas :D  black dots against pink or blue...that'd be fun.  Good idea aldo, in a regular starfield, it would look like its invisible but still distorting the space around it, brilliant.

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
Originally posted by penguin

I happen to like the FS radar (and dislike the X-Wing front/back radars), but that's my opinion.

I can't picture a "spherical" radar -- I've seen several references to it, apparently some other games use this.  Could someone post a picture of this in action (a partial screenshot would be OK, just showing the radar part.)

thx

I like the XWing radar more, but it might just be because xwing was the first space sim I played so I got used to it.  Its the only one where I can actually visualize the battle since it doesn't disort anything.  The radar in FS is useless to me since I can't imagine the entire battle stretched out.

One minor thing I would like changed would be to remove the arrow pointing to which way the target is, so that the radar would be more important.(like in the X-Wing games before Alliance).  

btw, heres a picture of the "spherical" radar in IW2: