Author Topic: Space Marine  (Read 24169 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
When you said "let down", did you mean it sucked, or it was a Downer Ending?

Because the final action sequence aside, I thought the whole game was good overall. Even if I did dislike and like the ending.

Spoiler:
Dislike cause Titus got suspected of heresy

Like because that is totally in line with Warhammer 40K's universe.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Haven't finished the game yet, but so far it has been very entertaining. Gameplay is very, very simple and there's nothing added compared to the demo. Which is kinda unfortunate, because I think this can get old really fast. All the same, I can't deny that combat is entertaining at least for now. The game is true to the WH:40k universe, I guess Relic can do other kind of games than strategy too.

Offline Mikes

Just finished it yesterday. Found it to be a solid if somewhat mediocre shooter. Frankly, if it wasn't Warhammer 40k I prolly wouldn't be all that impressed. But it is Warhammer 40k!! OMGS! For the Emperrrrrrooooohhhhrr!

Certainly a dream come true for any Games Workshop Fan :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
When you said "let down", did you mean it sucked, or it was a Downer Ending?

Downer ending.

Spoiler:
And apparently the Codex Astartes hasn't heard of blanks/untouchables/Pariah gene.  Rowboat Girlyman, you ****ed up son.

Fury is more or less correct in that it can seem repetitive, but I was never bored with it because...well. It's the Space Marine-y-est of games. It captures look and feel; it stomps gloriously upon with its giant armored boots every previous attempt to portray Space Marines in action. Even if the action wore thin from sameness, the Space Marine bit never did. A little more dialogue and squad interaction, and we could have had the Brothers of the Snake of games.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Spoiler:
And apparently the Codex Astartes hasn't heard of blanks/untouchables/Pariah gene.  Rowboat Girlyman, you ****ed up son.
Spoiler:
Untouchables aren't merely resistant to the Warp; their very presence drives it away.  If Titus were a blank Nemeroth's powers wouldn't have affected Titus or anyone near him in the slightest.  It is more likely that Titus is a psyker of some kind, in which case Threx is going to get his ass handed to him by Calgar for not delivering Titus to the care of his Chapter's Librarium.  Calgar's also probably going to throw the book at Leandros for tattling to the Inquisition about Titus.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Spoiler:
The fluff disagrees with that assessment, and also tends to state (de facto if not literally) blanks come in several categories of effect and that sufficient power can sometimes overwhelm their talents. Jurgen couldn't suppress a warp intrusion and he only hurt a daemon by direct contact, not banishment immediately, while the blank in the Eisenhorn books was capable of rather more dramatic feats; the Culexus on the tabletop falls between those two. It's entirely possible Titus is a low-end blank, just enough that he has to be directly targeted for someone to notice.

A Feddie Story

Spoiler:
Possible, but considering what effect Nemeroth's powers had on Titus up until the final encounter between them it is highly unlikely he's a blank considering even Jurgen couldn't be personally affected by Warp powers.  Jurgen was able to handle the Darklight artifact without any sort of protection, and was completely unaffected by the glamor the Slaaneshi cultists used in their attempt to summon the daemonhost.  There are also other effects to being a blank such as an aura of revulsion that affects even ordinary people, and Mira and the other Guardsmen didn't seem affected by anything like that at all.  Titus would have to be a really, really unusual blank to be affected by Nemeroth in such a manner yet emerge unharmed from exposure to Drogan's device which blew up the room it was being stored in.  Being a latent psyker with magic shielding powers is a far more likely explanation.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Spoiler:
I agree the blank theory is unlikely too. I think the Chapter Librarium should have noticed it during his recruitment, at the very least. The psyker thing might be true though, but again, the Chapter Librarium should have picked it up, unless its composed of incompetents, but the Ultramarines are anything but.

And speaking of which ...

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
A little more dialogue and squad interaction, and we could have had the Brothers of the Snake of games.
Indeed. While straight and simple action is appealing and easy to play, I would have liked more complex and depth in the gameplay. Team interaction and tactics would have been great. For example, you get to give some orders to team members like in Mass Effect, you also use cover and terrain for take tactical advantage (it's just stupid not to, space marine or not). And sometime down the road you'll be given Terminator armor to give gameplay like in this game, no cover just carnage.

Dawn of War 2 is real time tactics (can hardly be called strategy), mold that into third-person shooter perspective and you'd have a winner I think.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Aaand finished. Huh, that was short. Steam says I finished it in 9.3 hours. For comparison it took me 33 hours to finish DXHR.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
It IS rather short, isn't it. But the combat is interesting and god-awesome-fun, and yes, I did find it amusing that the gameplay makes you dis-regard cover, yet the fluff and fiction clearly notes that without cover the Space Marines would get whipped.

Gameplay and story segregation, I guess.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Tabletop Space Marines and their 3+ armor save can pretty much disregard cover unless some heavy weapons enter the field.  Cover bonus is a 4+ save, you use whichever of your applicable saves is higher.  Therefore, against anything AP 4 or worse, Marines are actually using armor save anyway and the cover is doing ****-all.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
And with Termines 2+ armor save, and 5+ invulnerable save (3+ if you use a Thundershield), they are night unkillable.

Been playing a few WH40K games on Vassal. Fun. But tabletops marines are far weaker than fluff marines (for balance reasons)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
DoW2 is about as close as any playable Marines get to 40K fluff.
In DoW1 and on tabletop they're indeed toned down.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Downer ending.

>>>WH40k game
>>>complaining about downer ending
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
>>>WH40k game
>>>complaining about downer ending

DoW had to do its downer endings retroactively. Could have done it here too.

Mainly though I'm complaining about the nature of the ending and the possibilities simply dismissed for it rather than the actual downer ending.

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Warhammer 40k is a perpetual Downer Ending, there is no way to resolve the problems plaguing the galaxy that results in anything other total annihilation of everything.

A happy ending scenario follows:  By some miracle, the Emperor is reincarnated a final time as the remnants of his soul escape that monstrosity that the Empire has been feeding in the Golden Throne for 10,000 years, which is revealed to be a nascent Chaos God of humanity's creation.  After a lengthy proving ground, the Emperor is confirmed and resumes leadership, purging much of the murderous, self-destructive Chaos-ridden beauracracy of the Imperium.  Further, seeing that the true threat not only humanity's further existence, but the galaxy's in general is not so much the forces of Chaos, but the impending simoltaneous galaxy wide Tyranid invasion, he orders the construction of Von Nueman-esque automated battlefleets surrounding the galaxy to fend off the Tyranids for a few centuries or a millenium longer while he rallies the forces of order within the galaxy, his own Space Marines, the Eldar, the Tau and other minor races so that they can provide a united front against inevitable Tyranid threat.  That being done, he once again turns inward and commits mass purges of Chaos Hotzones and sets about closing the Eye of Terror and rebuilding the natural barrier between the Warp and Reality.  Following on he further utilizes the alliance with the Eldar to improve upon and strengthen the Empire's training of Psykers so that a thousand years further down the road of history, humanity begins to produce their own equivalent of Warlocks and Farseers, with psychic power no longer being feared as an abomination.  Finally, again with the help of the Eldar, in fulfillment of the agreement that lead to the alliance in the first place, the Emperor leads a retaking and mapping of the Webway, repairing and rebuilding where needed and purging Chaos from those areas where the Webway has failed.  Which leads to a final confrontation with Slaanesh, himself the architect of the last 20,000 years of misery and horror that sees him either obliterated by the combined might of the Emperor and the Eldar or fully installed as the Chaos God of Hedonism and the removal of his need to feed on Eldar souls.

TLDR;  The worst possible fanfic you could think of for 40k.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
... Yeah, actually. If a fic came out like that I could imagine the mass revolt of all Warhammer 40k fans.

Offline crizza

Yeah, I was tempted to show up the mistakes in such a scenario...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
... Yeah, actually. If a fic came out like that I could imagine the mass revolt of all Warhammer 40k fans.

You'd be surprised.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!