Author Topic: Freespace, the Movie Maker  (Read 5366 times)

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Freespace, the Movie Maker
I was wondering if any programers would be interested in working on this idea I had.  Basically Freespace can do alsorts of camera movements, but not controlled easily.  So I suggest that a few modifications be made to create a "film creator" exe.  basically, it just be the basic source code with some tweeks.  Heres a list of what is needed to make this work.

Camera Controls.  Some way of easily controling the camera in game.

SEXP's.  These could be used in FRED to set up complex camera motions.

Removal of All HUD rellated stuff.  All the green/grey boxes get in the way of any usefull shots.  the removeal of all of that would make for very nice shots.  

Avi Encoder.  Something that'll record an Avi directly in game.

If you think this could be done, or if you would like to help me as I don't know how to program, let me know.  I think that this could be a great help to the community of mod makers, and even as a draw for new people.  Thoughts?
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline RandomTiger

DirectShow would probably allow you to encode an AVI but it would not be fast enough to record as you play or anything. Also getting sound in would be bloody difficult.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 12:58:08 pm by 848 »

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
nonononono!  don't record AVIs directly in-game, that's asking for trouble!

why not have like in Descent 1 and ][ replays... where it's like a .rep file or something... and make another program, similar to FRED, but where you can take those replays, and cut them, edit them, etc. and make it like a real movie!  then in the end you can save them as AVIs.  like a FRED but for converting and editing the replays.

also, if you take various angles and shots, you can edit and make like a proper intro or something, it'll be pretty neat :)

Offline Thor

Yeah, thats what I was trying to get at.  I don't even care about a seprate program for editing, just so long as the replays can be put into say, Premier or something else.  Could it be done?

Offline RandomTiger

Yes but its a lot of work. Theres already a thread about this, someone should dig it up. However I think we need to make sure people will actually use it. Hell of a thing to spend loads of time on for nothing.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
It'd certainly make cutscenes easy as pie.

I'm all for the method of recording info from the actual execution of FS2 into a file (a la Descent replay) and having a seperate program to open it with and control camera angles in.  That seems to me the single best way.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Thor

I just want a program that ultimately can be used to make cutscenes easier than using a 3d program to render it.  Something faster.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Grammar Man strikes again!

Never underestimate the value of stuff, for without stuff, what would be left. Ex: What kind of campaign would you have without any stuff. A big black screen.

Try this:
Never underestimate the value of stuff, for without stuff, what would be left? E.g.: What kind of campaign would you have without any stuff? You'd have a big black screen.

Question marks are obviously needed for a question, and need little explanation.  

E.g. is the proper short for for the introduction of an example, standing for exemplum gratium, "given example" in Latin.  Technically one could use ex., but it simply isn't done.

*Thus having righted wrongs and made the world a better, more grammatically correct place, Grammar Man disappears in a flash of perfect punctuation and properly placed prepositions!*
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 03:11:52 am by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline RandomTiger

:wtf:

Anway perhaps we could set camera positions as points in fred and use its event code to trigger which ships to view and when.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
Originally posted by Thor
I just want a program that ultimately can be used to make cutscenes easier than using a 3d program to render it.  Something faster.

Only thing that would work and be "relative" fast to do, is scripted sequences like in half-life.

In other words, maybe a mission that’s not really a mission but an
In-game sequence.

But man what a workload

First you would have to program in a hole new structure like make AI go from Point a to b (waypoint like), now what would really be hard; In game battle sequences. They would have to be pretty static regarding ship positions, since if other wise you will never know where ships end up if they are controlled by the standard AI, and you would want to know that for you camera positions, angle of camera, field of view for camera.

Yeah it would be nice to have, but man what a work load.

Most scripted sequences has very few objects in them(count all meshes and lasers, asteroids, missiles, beams

You would never be entirely sure if the sequence would be similar on all machines.

Now if you could program a nail proof handle multiple objects with very dynamic positions.

Well then you could sell it to the rest of gaming industry, cause that is how good it would be. They could skip using pre-rendered video clips, cause they would save money since pre-rendered video scripts are as slow to setup, as they are to render, and time is money.

that is how good a Script sequenced in-game player of the format we are talking about would be.

so re-think this again. Nobody in his or her right mind would do this, for nothing because it is going to take "A LOT" of time.

as an example. :V:'s red faction GEO-mod technology took 2 years to program.

So, we are back to we can do this with very few static objects. And then, would it be worth it.

i' m not convinced it would be.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
actualy there is some demo recording stuff that was part way done, that could posably be implemented into something like what he want's, but I have no idea how far along this code was
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline RandomTiger

Not finished I gather and a think its a fair bit off from what people are asking for.

Offline Thor

I really just want something that will have no hud related stuff (boxes, messages, afterburner shake and such)  and simply record what is seen on screen.  Thats it.  Your ship instantly becomes a camera, so if we get lateral movement, it help more.  Heck, even if the recording part is to much, just a hudless version would do.  And don't say go to the options, because there are still things that get in the way.  I have no idea exactly what DTP is talkin about, but it already does half of that already, it's just the hud that gets in the way.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
How about reversing this altogether making in-engine cutscenes work too :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Solatar

It wouldn't be that hard for you guys to just take out the HUD? Then Fs2 could be run through the VCR, and your gameplay taped, and then possibly edited, with new music, etc...

Offline Thor

I was going to do that if the logistics of making an avi or whatever was to much.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Hades
It wouldn't be that hard for you guys to just take out the HUD? Then Fs2 could be run through the VCR, and your gameplay taped, and then possibly edited, with new music, etc...

Done. Press the O key to toggle the HUD, note if a pilot head animation is already playing it wont disappear until the anim ends.

I will check this into cvs as soon as I can, in the meantime heres a preview exe:

http://www.ijbrooks.demon.co.uk/tom/nohud.zip

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
All I know about the demo recording/playback system is this:

* 3     3/29/99 6:17p Dave
 * More work on demo system. Got just about everything in except for
 * blowing ships up, secondary weapons and player death/warpout.
 * 2     3/28/99 5:58p Dave
 * Added early demo code. Make objects move. Nice and framerate
 * independant, but not much else. Don't use yet unless you're me :)

And that the files involved in it are demo.cpp and demo.h in the demo folder. :)
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline RandomTiger

I believe its a seperate compile option thats not been checked for ages so what little functionality was there is probably broken.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by RandomTiger

Done. Press the O key to toggle the HUD, note if a pilot head animation is already playing it wont disappear until the anim ends.

I will check this into cvs as soon as I can, in the meantime heres a preview exe:

http://www.ijbrooks.demon.co.uk/tom/nohud.zip

Its now in cvs so it'll be in the next release. Its shift-O now put you can remap it if you want.

Im also working on something else that might be of interest in this area. Sadly its not a movie maker but it might be worth looking into if I get it done.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2002, 11:50:40 am by 848 »