Author Topic: Starlancer/Freelaner Graphics  (Read 27736 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Starlancer/Freelaner Graphics
Is it possibla, with the DX8 upgrade to improve the game graphics like in Starlancer/Freelancer??
Are you planning to do it???
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline RandomTiger

More details please, what happened to Starlancer/Freelancer?

Currently its only a code improvement. We could desparately do with some artists to improve the game media.

Offline Inquisitor

That's an important distinction. Code enhancements enable spiffy new graphics.

Most programmer types have the art skills of road kill (well, that accurately describes me, I shouldn't lump everyone else with that), so while we can enable the capability, someone (ie a mod maker) needs to come up with art that takes advantage of the code :)
No signature.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If I have understood correctly...

First step is to improve and add code. That alone does not really improve existing FS2 graphics, sound and overall atmosphere.

This code allows better lightning (T&L), larger textures and more complex (higher polycount) models. Perhaps DX8 can handle lightning much better without redoing the effects themselves. Dunno.

Second step is to redo textures used in FS2. That alone will improve visual quality.

By the way... Why in the world you always think about graphics?! Improved graphics alone does not make better game atmosphere... I also wish to hear improved sound effects and music quality.

Mods and total conversions will benefit more from the work of SCP-team.

And now it's time for p1mp1n! ;) See my siggy below and visit The Babylon Project! :D
Ok... who's not already been playing TBP already... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2002, 10:16:24 am by 173 »

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Ok... who's not already been playing TBP already... :rolleyes:
Me.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline RandomTiger

We have someone working on sound but theres little he can do without someone improving the quality of the media.

Same with the graphics, I can shove as much fancy code in there as I want but its will only look massively better if people provide the media.

If a group were to start these media projects now then they might be ready at the same time as the code.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by Shrike
Me.

Sucker. :p
j/k ;)

Offline RandomTiger

Please dont derail this topic, its an interesting one.

Offline Inquisitor

We're not just thinking about graphics ;)
No signature.

Offline Zarax

Well, about better graphics and models let me say just one word...

AAAAALDOOOOO :)
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Hmm, maybe I should fire up my super-duper-fast-as-lightening-always-gorgeous-Shivan-texture-tile-maker in Corel PhotoPaint and whip out some nice new high-res textures for use on Shivan capital ships.

Also, one question I have regarding graphical upgrades is this:  

Currently the HUD graphics have to be in a very specific colour pallette (unlike most graphics in FS2 which can be in any old pallette, just as long as it is 8-bit).  I assume this is because the HUD code, needing to be able to take these grayscale pixels and put them through colour transformations (so that you get red or green or blue or off-coloured taupe HUD displays), is programmed to work with very specific shades of gray.  If this were changed somehow to allow, say, 16-bit grayscale, I could make HUD graphics that were much, much smoother and visually pleasing.  Can it be done?
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline RandomTiger

It can all be done, just depends how difficult and if anyone is willing to do it.

A total guess, I would say that it would be fairly tricky to do that, but not mega difficult. However that is engine independant so it could be done in the main code quite easily. Nothing to do with DX8.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by RandomTiger
We have someone working on sound but theres little he can do without someone improving the quality of the media.

Same with the graphics, I can shove as much fancy code in there as I want but its will only look massively better if people provide the media.

If a group were to start these media projects now then they might be ready at the same time as the code.

I think I'm like most modders that I'd much prefer to make new maps and models rather than redo the existing ones.

Offline Solatar

The maps we have are the most detailed ones available. We can't add more detail if we don't know what to add. Though if you pull this off ( Which is VERY likely ) many future models will have more detail. Also, I can maybe get some better suns. 16.7 million color ones.:D I just need to screw with the colors, because I don't have a white one.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Originally posted by RandomTiger
More details please, what happened to Starlancer/Freelancer?

Currently its only a code improvement. We could desparately do with some artists to improve the game media.

Well, basically, Starlancer has much better graphical quality (most of it being done by the lightning...), better textures, high poly models (and much faster...). Other cool stuff are the partical effects (when you hit the enemy and when it explodes... already done by Komet, but it can be made with better .pcx files...), and other kind of effects like gun fire (fire coming out of the gun point when you fire... kinda like muzzleflash, but better...) That's it basically... look at the freelancer in-game pics here at HLP to see what kind of graphical stuff I mean :)

Since this kind of work needs interaction between coders/modders, if you need any help with 3d modelling, just ask :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
I would commit murder for Starlancer-esque graphics and poly count!

And if you can drag in the torpedoes too......
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Raven2001

Since this kind of work needs interaction between coders/modders, if you need any help with 3d modelling, just ask :)

I will :)

aldo_14: I get your point, shame though really

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Raven2001
That's it basically... look at the freelancer in-game pics here at HLP to see what kind of graphical stuff I mean :)

Forgive my ignorence, where?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Lancers Reactor has some nice ones here.

Essentially I think what people want (and me too) is this:
1) Enhanced framerates and better visual quality - specular highlights, no-dim lights in D3D, bump mapping, trilinear filtering (I don't think FS2 does it and I think it helps give that nice smooth graphical feel to things)

2) Greater environment interaction - better control over debris, asteroid fields, a better background system so more detailed background nebula can be setup (i'm not sure how other games do this, but FreeLancer can do this nifty detailed backgrounds and I can't do this with FS2 at present), sun and ambient light controls beyond the current abilities (ambient control is a hacked and slash version of what it could be)

3) Little things - such as particle effect weapons, real laser trails (adding a missile trail draws the trail at the edge of the bitmap rather than center), pcx muzzle flashes, sun lense flares

I would take advantage of all of that stuff (and its general enough that everyone else could and would as well) in Paradigm Shift.  Keep in mind that its a wish list....and its a long term kind of thing so I want to express that I don't expect you guys to perform miracles overnight or if its way too far out on a limb, not at all.

There's more exotic things like more model movement control and whatnot but we need the tools and the programming to do it and we don't really have that right now.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
hmmm, guees i´ll have to play with subtitles.

i really cant stand that beverly dude. sry :(.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.