Author Topic: The MODELVIEW32 Source Code - Changes/Improvements  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The MODELVIEW32 Source Code - Changes/Improvements
Okay, with the source code for Modelview32 out, we can now compile a list of what needs to be changed/added to the code.

Changes:
1. The program doesn't save eyepoints.
2. New thruster editing option doesn't allow new thrusters to be created.
3. COB->POF option needs error correction/improvement.
4. After COB->POF conversion, the "Save As" dialog doesn't have the save as POF option.  (Not that it matters.  It's just doesn't look right.)

Additions (Request):
1. Paths/Docking Points editor
2. Insignia editor
3. POF->COB option
4. Bobboau's Light Glow editor

Removal(s) (Request):
1. Non-essential Freespace/Freespace 2 code to specialize the program.  (The removal of these segments of code is optional, but it SHOULD save some kilobytes of space. (Wow!) Plus, why work with a program that you can edit with 2/3 of its options unused?)

If you want to add anything, just reply to this thread.

Rampage

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If I open three copies at once, my system starts behaving all strangely, and I have to reboot.  I think this might be due to a memory leak.  Please fix. :)

EDIT: It would be cool to be able to view two (or more) models side-by-side, at various scales.  This is why I needed to open more than one instance of the program.

I'd rather not remove anything.  Heiko Herrmann requested not to; besides, someone may have use for them somewhere.  And we don't want to accidentally break the code either. :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2002, 05:25:05 pm by 561 »

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Shield generator - As seen in Segeltuch. :nod:

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Originally posted by Joey_21
Shield generator - As seen in Segeltuch. :nod:

The shield generator from Segeltuch??  I used to use that.  It couldn't properly shield the fighters I was converting from Hellbender.  I now use good 'ol trueSpace to do my shields.  I just make a sphere, size it, and move the vertices around.  It shouldn't take me more than 15 minutes to make a shield mesh that totally fits the shape of the fighter/bomber.  All it takes is PATIENCE!

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
    • http://www.c4-group.dk
maybe a COAT-SHIELD generator option, for cap ships.
just like the one My Lucy has. with an optional approxmimation parameter for Polygon count.
VBB member; reg aug 1999; total posts 600.
War is a lion, on whos back you fall, never to get up.
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
And I also have a fix to propose.  We need a texture extractor.

Hmm...  Interesting.  Well, we have all these interesting ideas, but we need someone who has the time to ACTIVELY work on MODELVIEW32.

Bobboau would be perfect for this job.  Any volunteers.

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Originally posted by Rampage

The shield generator from Segeltuch??  I used to use that.  It couldn't properly shield the fighters I was converting from Hellbender.  I now use good 'ol trueSpace to do my shields.  I just make a sphere, size it, and move the vertices around.  It shouldn't take me more than 15 minutes to make a shield mesh that totally fits the shape of the fighter/bomber.  All it takes is PATIENCE!

Eh... when it comes to shielding TS doesn't like me. :(
It seemed a bit quicker and just as efficient to do it in segeltuch. I dunno... maybe somebody could come up with something better. :)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Rampage

or max: with max, a hull fitting shield takes... mmh... if I'm really fast and accurate enough with the mouse, about 3 seconds should be enough, but I might hurt my wrist :p

What I really want in modelview has already been listed. Oh, no, there's that:
would be great to have an import pof data like the one PCS has.
Basically, being able to do everything w/o PCS would be great. Not that PCS is bad, but I prefer 1000 times modelview.
Oh, and I think we shouldn't remove anything either: HH asked that if it was possible he'd rather not have anything removed, plus the D2/D3 editing tools have already been useful to me, so...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Another addition:

With the new animated textures code, the program SHOULD be able to animate animated textures.

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
Originally posted by venom2506

or max: with max, a hull fitting shield takes... mmh... if I'm really fast and accurate enough with the mouse, about 3 seconds should be enough, but I might hurt my wrist :p

oh, ever tried Coat shielding Lucy. Scale in whatever form, will not work. And remember the turrets :D
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by DTP

oh, ever tried Coat shielding Lucy. Scale in whatever form, will not work. And remember the turrets :D

bah, OTT is full of shields like that :p ( btw, the turrets of the luci rotates, and go out of your shield ;) )

the thing is that max has a great modifier called "push" that makes the polys "grow" along their own normal, and avoids any intersecting poly, just great :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline DTP

• ImPortant Coder
Originally posted by venom2506

bah, OTT is full of shields like that :p ( btw, the turrets of the luci rotates, and go out of your shield ;) )

yeah, but, they are still protected :D, shots will fail to do damage,
if shield is up, at least in the 100´s of occations i tried that.

now if only i could get the shield to rotate with em
Think big. Invade Space.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by DTP

yeah, but, they are still protected :D, shots will fail to do damage,
if shield is up, at least in the 100´s of occations i tried that.

now if only i could get the shield to rotate with em

ah ok didn't know that :)
SCREW CANON!