Author Topic: Wicked Beams?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline tEAbAG

:confused:

I know next to nothing about tweakin' the source code and  also don't know if someone else has floated this idea, but could beams be rigged to punch through heavily damaged ships?  The bit in the opening of FS 2 where that Orion gets pimpslapped was really kewl and it would be great if that could happen in game.
If happiness is a warm gun and love is a battlefield, why should we give peace a chance?

C-130 rollin' down the strip
hits a rock and start to tip
its all right, its OK
full of soldiers anyway

I think we should go Mung his dead grandma. - anOn

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think the game already does this to some extent, since the beams go right through ships that have under some 20% of their hull strength left. Or do you mean actually making a visible hole in the ship? That would likely require geomod capabilities and would be very difficult.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Okay. I give up. Questions about Geo-mod goes into the next version of the FAQ :)

tEABAG. We'll let you off cause you`re new but you`ve asked a rather dangerous question.

The fact is that Geo-mod is only possible in a game that was built from the ground up for that sort of thing. The example from the first FS2 mission was done by timing a self destruct to occur at the same time as the beam was fired.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline tEAbAG

Ah... Well thanks for indulging my noobness.:p

I guess I'll have to wait for that in Freespace 3.

When does that come out, by the way?
:ha:
If happiness is a warm gun and love is a battlefield, why should we give peace a chance?

C-130 rollin' down the strip
hits a rock and start to tip
its all right, its OK
full of soldiers anyway

I think we should go Mung his dead grandma. - anOn

Offline diamondgeezer

He didn't bring Geo-mods up - CP did. Do the maths.

I don't see why he is asking what he's asking, though - beams do indeed punch through ships already, but only when the target's hull integrity hits zero. Perhaps we wants beams to always penetrate their target, regradless of the target's hull strenth...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:lol: We can take a joke!

Seriously, though. Read through Karajorma's FAQ. It will help you tremendously.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
He didn't bring Geo-mods up - CP did. Do the maths.

I don't see why he is asking what he's asking, though - beams do indeed punch through ships already, but only when the target's hull integrity hits zero. Perhaps we wants beams to always penetrate their target, regradless of the target's hull strenth...

Originally posted by tEAbAG
The bit in the opening of FS 2 where that Orion gets pimpslapped was really kewl and it would be great if that could happen in game.

That's a geo-mod question DG :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Orange Juice is cool.
Vodka is cool.
But to a real man, OJ & Vodka is not cool.

Thus....

Geo-Mod is cool.
FS2 is cool.
But Geo-Mod and fs2 is not cool.

:nervous:

EDIT: Has EVERY1 joined Shrike's commie party? Even n00bs are getting russian titles!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 03:15:35 pm by 798 »
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by karajorma
That's a geo-mod question DG :)

Have it your own way, but I think you lot are more thn a little obsessed...