Author Topic: "reliabiltiy" factor, possible?  (Read 5330 times)

"reliabiltiy" factor, possible?
wouldit be possible to make a reliability factor setting for ships and weapons?.
i mean a number in the tbl from wich the sourcegenerates random defects to the ship, if thereliabilty islow, the ship will start to behave strangely, like not responding properly, weapons jamming, afterburner refusing/damaging the engines, shileds flickering, sensors scrambling, comm dropping out, up to sudden reactor overlaods which are fatal.
weapons would just jam, or suddenly all energy would be drained, or the weapons subsystem might take damage.

i think this would be a very nice feature, especially in "less then ideal" envirements, basicly, it's to simulate the wad of ducttape on the control panel.

now, the question is, is this possible without to much work?
note, i'm no modder so i don't know what the bets place to set such a value is.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Well the best place for a weapons reliability factor would be in that weapon's tbl entry.

I like the idea, would be useful if you had old ships left over from the Great War, which are in a state of disrepair.

Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
Well the best place for a weapons reliability factor would be in that weapon's tbl entry.

I like the idea, would be useful if you had old ships left over from the Great War, which are in a state of disrepair.

only one question remains then: is it possible?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
actually, if it were implemented I would want a 'set-reliability' sexp
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
actually, if it were implemented I would want a 'set-reliability' sexp

sepxs are in mission AFAIK, so what if you'd want that ship to be super, except for the reliability?

from what i know, ht best way would be a TBL thing, with a FRED overrride.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
im not explaing my self very well... again:rolleyes:

what I meant was what you said - tables, with a sexp in fred to overide...
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This'd be hell cool for combat evaluation missions - you've got this uber powerful ship that should be toasting Shivans like nobodiesbusiness - but they've not got the Primary Weapons Fire Control circuitry quite bug free just yet - and I thought Bob was supposed to be installing those Afterburner Regulators!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Furthermore you could use it to have uber ships with a very large Achillies' heel.

"Meet the GTF Achillies ladies and gentlemen. The Achillies is far more powerful than any two other fighters we have. The only problem is after about 15 minutes or so the relays burn out taking down the scanner, secondaries and afterburner.
 Terran command has given up on her but she's yours to fly if you're willing to risk it" :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Guys, I had this idea a good long time ago, except it wasnt reliability (well it sorta was), it was about load.  Not-so-heavy load things, like nav control and comms would be unafected, and would cause no problems, but things like burners, energy weapons, shields, etc.  The reactor could have a reserve, and all items would drain from the reserve as necessary.  Therefor, you could have max shield, max weapons, and max engines at the same time, although it wouldnt be a good idea when under stress.  When the burners are used, they drain the reserve normally.  When the burners stop being used, they fill up normally, except they fill up from the reactor's reserve.  Same thing with weapons and shields.  When the reactor reserve has run out, then the chargings demand the reactor itself.  Once that happens, the reactor loses it's integrity, and all kinds of crazy stuff happens.  Example being, you're piloting your 8 gunned fighter (whats it called?) and you're using max weapons recharge, max shield recharge, and max engine recharge.  At a point, you enter engagement.  You hit the burners, fire the kaysers, and get shield hits all at the same time.  Your reserve drains quickly until finally you rely on the generator.  at this point, some of your gunmounts (random) dont work for that shot, the burners start fluctuating speed, and one of your shield quadrants will rise and fall sporaticly.  Once the generator integrity drops below maybe 65% your HUD will start to flicker, kinda like EMP effects, and some of your systems will fail entirely.  At around 35% you start getting serious subsystem damage and the HUD/comms/flight control would fail (very bad).  At around 10% you die due to reactor core failure.  Anyway, whatever your integrity is at, is that much power it gives to the reserve, like if it's 50% it will fill up about half the speed as it would if it were at 100%.  Also, the reactor would take pretty long to repair, maybe 10 seconds for each 3 percent or something, and sometimes you have to play dead for the reserve to recharge, because it's draining faster than filling because of reactor integrity.  I think that'd be awesome.

Another thing I was thinking of would be localized subsystem integrity.  Say you have a weapon that produces a HUGE amount of heat, and it fires quickly.  It puts plenty of stress on the subsystem.  If you keep firing that weapon a prolonged amount of time, your weapons subsystem will be damaged a little.  Keep firing it then, and it damages it faster.  Keep firing it even then, it'll lose integrity faster than you can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism".  Same thing happens when you keep hitting the burners, or keep charging your shields too fast.

So, what do you think of those ideas, guys?
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

ok, what about this, youmake a system with both TBL and SEXP settings for reliability, plus Scuddie system, but you just make the sourcelower reliabilty when the reactor takes the strain.

good/bad?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Sounds to me like what you want is a sexp that lets you suck all the power out of a subsystem or the entire deal for a short period of time. Between that and disabling subsystems you'd have basically what you're talking about here, and you could probably use the code wrapped aroun the Lamprey's effect to help generate the former. A table flag would be nice, but for one thing it would require a proper random value generator, and for another could cause failures at extremely inconvenient times- times when you, as mission designer, DO want the ship running. Some situation like your engines randomly blowing out at the onset of the Lion's Den mission comes to mind.

For the guns, throw a degree of inaccuracy (let them fire in an arc rather than along a vertex, so you can get machine-gun spray and such if you so wish) along with the sexp'd jams and occasional blowouts, and it'll be good. That, too, might require a random number generator, but I dunno.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have made a feild of fire code that gives you a cone of fire rather than directly in front of you at all times
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Cool.

Would definitely say something about "reliability" if you get a ratty old Prometheus that fires at 20* to what you're shooting at.:D

Originally posted by Stryke 9
Sounds to me like what you want is a sexp that lets you suck all the power out of a subsystem or the entire deal for a short period of time. Between that and disabling subsystems you'd have basically what you're talking about here, and you could probably use the code wrapped aroun the Lamprey's effect to help generate the former. A table flag would be nice, but for one thing it would require a proper random value generator, and for another could cause failures at extremely inconvenient times- times when you, as mission designer, DO want the ship running. Some situation like your engines randomly blowing out at the onset of the Lion's Den mission comes to mind.

i think a random number generator should be easy, but i never touched C, let alone C++, so i'm no sure.

and as i said, there should be an override SEXP, so for those mission critical points reliability can be restored.

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
this could be really interesting and cool...

if it could be done, a reliability variable should apply to each particular system in the craft - and those systems should be equitable to what can be damaged on a craft...

i am not that well versed with FS2 yet, so what i mean is if damagable systems are:

weapons
flight control
engines
targeting computer

then each of those should have its own reliability factor, rather than a random system being affected by a failure.  the reason is that if a new version of a craft is created, it can be rock solid on everything except the new component which could be a new weapon system...  it is not fair to have the rest of the rock solid craft affected because of a new weapon system that fails to operate reliably...  this would be more granular and complex than the singe realiability variable, but more realistic as well.
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com

that would be good as well, actually, it would be better.

now, we need a coder to take a look at his, any takers?

To psuedo-quote Star Trek: Generations:
"All the upgraded stuff will be installed... on Tuesday."

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
There was an afterburner thread that dealt with heat in almost the same sense. Once again I have to point at a game that has used this kind of simulation for quite a while - Mechwarrior.
Blow ups and failures shouldn't be random, instead it should be a factor calculated from the use of the system.
The engine should "throw a dice" every once in a while, if the thrown ammount is smaller than the reliability factor *or bigger if you want to model it with %* than the system should have a failure depending on the value of the throw.
By using d20+2 or such throws you could prevent failures in ordinary situations.
Players should also be given a chance to truly drive the systems over the limit.
Say you've got a big red button - safety override.
Otherwise the coputer would prevent overdrive - or shut down the ship in certain cases.
Heat management can be easily incorporated into this model.

A new set of hud elements could be used - displayed next to the damage list, listing heat and use of systems, it should only pop up during overdrive and or emergencies.

After all a blown engine has a lot smaller heat treshold.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Space is VERY cold.... an excellent heat sink

Anyway...TONS of good ideas in this thread...:D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by TrashMan
Space is VERY cold.... an excellent heat sink

Anyway...TONS of good ideas in this thread...:D

But in space you don't have a medium to dissipate heat by mere termo equalisation - all the heat has to be expelled through radiation.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 06:35:28 am by 997 »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan