Author Topic: "hit" effect on player ship  (Read 9189 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
"hit" effect on player ship
There are no demands for the SCP team. There are requests.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 01:52:13 pm by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline J3Vr6

Well this thread is moments from getting locked...  TopAce, just get over it.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Not I was the one who attacked first.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline J3Vr6

*smirk*  "He started it!"  Is this kindergarden?  TopAce, just change the subject and talk about what this main thread was about.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I am only defending myself. This whole thing would not have got started if Raa had remained silent.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Or alternatively, if you could deflate that ego of yours.

C'mon; isn't it stupid to argue about things like this?
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Oh for the love of god, get the flame war out of this thread.  For that matter, take it somewhere that it isn't cluttering up useful debate, like Hard Light or better yet some form of private messaging.

I actually would like to hear some real [coding] debate about taking the red-out effect out of outside shots as it has no place there.  But in the cockpit, it's fine.  It's like a red light flashing somewhere out of your field of vision and reflecting off the cockpit glass.  It's got its place, and despite what some people have said it doesn't make targeting or flying any harder for most of us.  If it's blanking out the screen, maybe you should turn up your gamma correction or something, because I've NEVER seen it as a problem.

EDIT: And TopAce, you have GOT to learn to roll with the punches, especially on things like Raa's comment.  Being an arse on a board like this gets you absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:00:47 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Hmm, I'm not completely convinced that a keyboard/mouse combo cannot at least emulate a joystick fairly well (of course, a joystick would be better, but I'm fairly sure that if it's possible to dodge interceptors in an Ares with a joystick, then I can do it with the kb/m combo -- I just need to practise).

The only reason I don't pull out my Sidewinder is because generally, it's not too much of a problem to evade missiles.  Because of the way I remap my keys, I'm perfectly capable of rolling, pitching, yawing, adjusting my speed, and spitting out countermeasures if necessary all at once.

Methinks I just need to practise it more.

Incidentally, has anyone ever converted the guantlets from FS1 to FS2?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The problem is with the way Freespace handles mouse tracking moreso than with the fundamental differences between mouse and joystick for control.  Because you have to keep pulling down on the mouse to simulate holding the joystick in, you end up not making the same smooth turn that you would with a joystick.  You stop, if even for an instant, to relocate your mouse and the rotational dampening makes you fly in a straight line for a moment, often feeding missiles straight into the tailpipe of whatever fighter you are flying.  All of the bombers suffered from this, and the super-heavy Ares does as well.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Ah, now that's where you have it wrong ;)

A three button mouse actually allows me to do continous rolling pullouts.  It's a bit predictable (if you knew about it that is), but mapping one of the buttons as pitch up does wonders for motion.

If I had a 5 button mouse (like an Intelli Mouse Explorer) then even the predictability part is gone.

The biggest problem would then be the fact that I lose some control over how I move (which is why a joystick is still far better).

It seems that breaking the missile lock wasn't the actual problem for me.  It's just that it flashes Evaded and a half second later, the missile slams into me (who in the meantime had immediately turned back to get a missile lock and was flying straight again).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:12:34 pm by 998 »

Yeah, well... if you haven't ever piloted with your mouse under your main hand and a gamepad (yes, a digital gamepad... dont' ask me how I came to the idea) under your off-hand, you don't know what complicated controlling is. To make things worse, it actually works well, from 'ceptors to bombers... O_O
A Seth is a terrible thing to waste. The reverse applies for Shivans.

"Look at you, Hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a PERFECT, IMMORTAL MACHINE?"
        -- Shodan, the Devil of Citadel Station, 2072 AD

-= Freshly hooked on LSD... er, DSL=-

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I just had a nice idea...

How about you change the colour of the flash to the colour of the shot that hit you?

Lasers have specified glow colours, you could use those, and if none is found (i.e. it's a missile or something else without a glow, or a glow of 0,0,0) it defaults to the well-known red hit we know.

:)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think a rainbow effect could get annoying very quickly, compared to the normal red..... the other thing is that people associate green with 'good' - whilst it's a minor thing, it could be a psychological annoyance for players.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*reads the entire thread*

TopAce, I only have a few things to say to you in response:

I do not think my country is superior to anybody's. Though my country may think it's superior, I do not share these feelings. I understand that we have the world's most sophisticated technology on our side, but I also understand we gained a good 60% or more from post war Germany. We may be a superpower, but that doesn't make us superior. Only powerful. Calm down.  And I have never made a statement against any other country (save France, but that was just to tease Venom, who I feel I am on good terms with). I am not an ethnocentric loudmouth with a super-inflated ego.
One on one isn't going to happen. I won't lie. My pilotting abilities are moot also. But I never claim to be a Vasudan ace either. Get over yourself. You sound like Razor with your anti-american jibberish. What if I remarked about Hungary? How would you like that? Just because I happen to be American deosn't automatically make me anti-global. I'll be the first to complain about this country. I won't snap back unless someone like yourself, who has probably never been here, and only knows about the US through one-sided news reports begins making unwarranted comments. Grow up, you're making yourself look even worse. You Hungarian... jug?
What the **** is jug supposed to mean? Nevermind... I'll leave this alone...

ITHOV? I don't know what's up with you, and that campaign. It's Dead. Thor even declared so in the now deleted, locked, and discarded forum he had. So don't try to hold me to it. Especially since I am hard at work for TVWP, AotD, and even CIM.

And the previous 'attack'?  Was that when I said I couldn't understand what you where typing? At that moment in time, your English was pretty bad. I can understand what you type now, yes. But I still feel I need to re-read your posts to understand them fully sometimes. It's not an attack. Calm down.

Now I don't feel we need to continue with this. Can we just head our seperate ways and keep cooler heads? Much appreciated.

After writing out this whole response, and cooling down slightly, I thought it best to add this line. I don't want a flame war. This will be my one and only address to TA about this matter. And if I sound like an ass because of it, so be it. I may not be angry, but I still feel I need to say this.

And thank you, Aldo. I know not what else to say.

Back to the subject of the warning.

The only solution I see is, as everyone keeps saying, to make a command line that will disable it. I don't mind it myself, as sometimes it's the only real indiction I have that I'm being shot up in the heat of battle. I don't always play with the sound on, and therefor begin to worry when I get red flashes.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
if the options screen wasn't so inflexable i'd code something, but it isn't :blah:

*goes off to read scripting tutorials*
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
ITHOV? I don't know what's up with you, and that campaign. It's Dead. Thor even declared so in the now deleted, locked, and discarded forum he had. So don't try to hold me to it. Especially since I am hard at work for TVWP, AotD, and even CIM.

Officially it is alive. Its death has not been reported by the project leader(Thor). Maybe it has been standing inactive for a while now. But there is still hope, since Thor is still persistant, and if he asked me, I would be glad to FRED more missions for him.

And the previous 'attack'?  Was that when I said I couldn't understand what you where typing? At that moment in time, your English was pretty bad. I can understand what you type now, yes. But I still feel I need to re-read your posts to understand them fully sometimes. It's not an attack. Calm down.
[/B]

Without re-reading your post, I know that you didn't have to understand me. You had an ATTACK at my login name.
I choose a login name I prefer. A name I got used to. I chose this 'nickname' before I had played any of the FreeSpace games(X-wing vs. TIE Fighter). There should be an old thread at Hard Light where the topic was 'where did you get your login name from?'. I wrote everything down there.

Now I don't feel we need to continue with this. Can we just head our seperate ways and keep cooler heads? Much appreciated.
[/B]

I think it would be the best we ignored each others' posts in future.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
TopAce, I don't know what's gotten under your skin, but this is completely unwarrented.  It has been from the beginning.

Like it or not, what Raa said was minor, and (it would seem) fairly true.  If you were a "Top Ace" then a little red glow that doesn't mask out your view should not bother you in the least, but apparently it does.  It doesn't really matter, as it is just a login name and we are talking about a game.  It's pissed you off for whatever reason, and instead of trading harmless banter you've gone off and actually insulted and attacked Raa and everyone else on this board with any sensability.  You've got to bury the hatchet and move on; Raa essentially already has.  I won't go in to reasons why getting the last word in on a stupid argument like this is futile and childish, but please, move on.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Who others did I attack?

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Can't you just stop that, and focus on the original topic ?
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Not unless all parts of this come to light.