Author Topic: why do skyboxes vanish when i target something?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
why do skyboxes vanish when i target something?
i found out yesterday that one could implement a skybox. so today i threw together a quick scene in truespace and made one. it works really cool like up to the point i tried to target something, then it disapears. is this just me or does anybody else have this problem.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

It's just you :)

Is the skybox larger than 30km?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I have exactly the same problem with Subspace and I believe the two problems are supposed to be related.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive tried lots of sizes, it still manages to disapear. what would you say is the optimal size of the box?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
have you tryed a recent build this issue should have been fixed but only the very most recent builds (like that one I tryed to get Turnsky's shine maps working with)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Originally posted by karajorma
I have exactly the same problem with Subspace and I believe the two problems are supposed to be related.

I have the subspace problem too, but Nuke, are you using the "mission occurs in subspace" option with custom skyboxes or are you just placing a skybox on the map?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im running the version makked 01_20_2004_fs2_open_r.exe i got from the latest versions of everything thread about a week ago.

are you suposed to check the box, the documentation was sketchy about that. i will give it a try.

i think the whole thing has to do with the targeting box render the motion between the ship and the box seemed syncronized (although it may have been a cafine induced hallucination).

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redmenace

What documentation? The Wiki?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think you summed it up in the with the first 2 words. the wiki instructions consisted of 2 paragrapghs. all it really said was the obvious pard, it left our the nitty gritty stuff, like what size the box should be, how to render it, and how to get tid of those annoying little lines that apear an the corners of the box. for me it was adequit, but everyone else isn't me.

bobboau, i used your 2-14-04 build and it worked a little better, but still glitches a bit when you change targets. it is most profound when switching between targets with greatly diferentiated orientation. when switching between ships with a similar oreintation it doesnt glitch at all.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redmenace

hmm well then you might want to PM  the Wiki Wonder Worker(aka kasperl) about that. Thanks Nuke for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 11:45:47 am by 887 »
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yes, this has been on Mantis for some time, though Bobb has fixed it lately, still got to give that a try. It was to do with the fact that backgrounds are still software rendered IIRC.

Flipside :D

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i personally think its a dam good way to make a nice backdrop without alot of processor overhead, although the 6 3 meg 1024*1024 textures use up alot of ram, but i got 512mb. you can say it doesnt drop the fps counter though.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

just for the record, i have no clue at all about the workings of this thing. my title was a honor from Sandwich, and the only thing i do is copy&paste stuff. my knowledge is extremely limited. whoever wrote and/or implemented this should be able to help.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Nuke, try making them as DDS files, I ought to give it a go myself, a few cards can store these compressed in memory.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
someone clarify to me how video cards handel compressed textures. i know it is done so the textures dont use up so much bandwidth on the agp bus, but i dont understand what the video card does with them. do they get decompressed then stored into video ram, or do they store themselves as compressed and then ger decompressed on the fly as their being rendered.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think angelfire changed their linking policy. heres a screenie.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
now this looks odd :eek2: :wtf:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
beta version

Nuke's Scripting SVN