Author Topic: Why can't i play cutscenes anymore?  (Read 4514 times)

Why can't i play cutscenes anymore?
Hi,
After a stock full install (v1.2) fs2, and install of fs_open 3.5.5 (v4.0 launcher) , my cutscenes do not play anymore.

When i click on them to play i get a "cannot play movie error". It doesn't even try to check my cd-rom for the cd like it usually does for example playing intro.

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything to help me other than in-game cutscene feature request etc.

One other thing is the campaign, in my previous install I was in the middle of my campaign but upon using the new exes I found them reset. Are previous campaign saves not compatible with fs open?

the mve format interplay used on the cutscenes is not open source, and never will be, therefore, FSO can only play ani's, and other things WMP supports. therefore you must either download the avi cutscenes, or watch them under FS2, retail.

and no, pilot files are generally not compatible across versions.

edit:

:welcome:

what guide did you use for installing FSO?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 09:47:31 am by 936 »
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

also, 355 and v4 launcher are not completely compatible, go to the latest builds forum to pick up a newer build with a lot of extra features and bugfixes.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Originally posted by kasperl
also, 355 and v4 launcher are not completely compatible, go to the latest builds forum to pick up a newer build with a lot of extra features and bugfixes.

Oh intiially i used this guide. http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/Installing

But looking around it seemed that the guide was out of date, following some of the instructions, got a huge amount of errors -htl switch etc. Then I browsed around the other sticky threads namely the what's the latest version of everything and used the guide as a guideline for installing those.

I'm using this exe right now fs2_open_r_Bobboau_4-16-04.exe.

Er I just realized that the zip name below actually contains the above exec name...
fs2_open_r_Bobboau_3-16-04.zip

Where is the latest version?
Where can I get the avi cutscenes?

I'm really enjoying the graphics enhancements thus far.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 10:22:13 am by 1778 »

avi cutscenes, not sure, really. and yeah, that is the latest build AFAIK.

also, have you gotten the media VP, and Lightspeeds work?

avi cutscenes, not sure, really. and yeah, that is the latest build AFAIK.

also, have you gotten the media VP, and Lightspeeds work?

Yep I got those. And the weapons fx.. hmm. I'll search around. Where should I put them, if I get em?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
you can try using the builds forum
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Thanks for the welcome, I found some posts regarding to avi's but no one posts a link hehe.

nope, some of that is due to legality issues. also, lightspeeds stuff can be found in one of his threads, and his siggy links to them all. also, the wiki has been patched to contain links to his stuff as well.

nope, some of that is due to legality issues. also, lightspeeds stuff can be found in one of his threads, and his siggy links to them all. also, the wiki has been patched to contain links to his stuff as well.

Ok that's fine, just going to rip them off my cd and convert them to avi.

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by operator

Greets Operator.

I used to have the avi Fs2 cutscenes on an FTP server, but since interplay relaunched FS2, I took them down. I'm sure in a little while they may start appearing again.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Oh intiially i used this guide. http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/Installing

But looking around it seemed that the guide was out of date, following some of the instructions, got a huge amount of errors -htl switch etc. Then I browsed around the other sticky threads namely the what's the latest version of everything and used the guide as a guideline for installing those.

Where is the latest version?
Where can I get the avi cutscenes?

I'm really enjoying the graphics enhancements thus far.

The guide has been updated since you used it because it was getting out of date (Believe it or not the version you looked at was only a month old!).

Warning people about the cutscenes is a good idea though. I really ought to add that to the guide.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

You may have trouble doing that. The MVE format can only be extracted using a special program called MVE2AVI. Several people have a copy but getting hold of it is problematic since Interplay send nasty cease and desist letters to anyone who puts up a copy. Your only hope is to find someone who has a copy and get them to send it to you

EDIT : Bah. Double post. Might as well use it for something.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 12:54:42 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by karajorma

You may have trouble doing that. The MVE format can only be extracted using a special program called MVE2AVI. Several people have a copy but getting hold of it is problematic since Interplay send nasty cease and desist letters to anyone who puts up a copy. Your only hope is to find someone who has a copy and get them to send it to you

EDIT : Bah. Double post. Might as well use it for something.

Don't worry I got a hold of mve2avi, and converted to avi, now just gotta virtualdub it and off we go.

Edit: That guide was only a month old? Holy :D Maybe some note about the transparent Support Ship being known as well, I was kind of wondering about that until I happened upon a post discussing it.

This is a reallly great community :nod:

Edit: Notice some weirdness with the mouse click/drag selecting weapons and/or ships in the mission screen. It seems like it doesn't recognize that you're clicking on it or something.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 01:50:32 pm by 1778 »

try clicking on about 10 pixels below whatever you wanna get.

i've been meaning on reporting that, but i keep forgetting.

I've also made a Shoot profile for freespace 2. I think it also works fine with freespace1.  I've included every wing/wingman command and some other miscellaneous commands that I just don't have enough buttons for.

http://members.rogers.com/ukf1/Freespace The Great War.xml

I'd post it in the shoot profile library but the site is down right now.

Nothing like saying "attack target" and having it done :D

and this shoot, what is it?

edit:

if i read this correctly, you say the phrase, and then the stuff is executed? what about saying "comm fighters" "comm wings" to see lists of stuff? when wings die, it get's kinda hard to remember who is what number. and you command more then 3 wings, IIRC.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
pilot files are generally not compatible across versions.
Not true.  Pilot files ARE compatible, though campaigns are not.  You can switch EXEs with the same pilot, but you have to restart or switch your campaign.

uhm, Goob, I remember quite a lot of issues from FSO pilots being used in older versions, causing ugly effects.

But if that was due to something else, fine.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I've also made a Shoot profile for freespace 2. I think it also works fine with freespace1.  I've included every wing/wingman command and some other miscellaneous commands that I just don't have enough buttons for.

http://members.rogers.com/ukf1/Freespace The Great War.xml

I'd post it in the shoot profile library but the site is down right now.

Nothing like saying "attack target" and having it done :D

How does one impliment something like this?  I have a friend who got a piece of wingman hardware for a birthday or something, that included software for voice recognition, which he had a profile running for FS2 for a while, but I wasn't sure of how I could do the same myself.  I've got a microphone headset for my PC, so if you could give me some pointers, I'd love to find out how to do this myself.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!