Author Topic: Why can't i play cutscenes anymore?  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Why can't i play cutscenes anymore?
Originally posted by kasperl
uhm, Goob, I remember quite a lot of issues from FSO pilots being used in older versions, causing ugly effects.

But if that was due to something else, fine.

Possibly.  If not, it was a bug.  Pilot files are supposed to be compatible across versions.

Originally posted by kasperl
and this shoot, what is it?

edit:

if i read this correctly, you say the phrase, and then the stuff is executed? what about saying "comm fighters" "comm wings" to see lists of stuff? when wings die, it get's kinda hard to remember who is what number. and you command more then 3 wings, IIRC.

For the sake of simplicity, I made them just
[number] wing [do blah]

Where blah is like attack target or whatever.

Here's Shoot, basically the xml just defines what phrases does what, for example for the phrase "Target" it does a keyboard T, and you can program it to do repetitions, sequences, etc.

So what I did for example for, first wing attack target, this would execute. c211

I decided not to use the naming conventions of wings alpha, beta, gamma etc. because they change randomly and aren't in any order. I also decided not to have individual wingman control i.e alpha 2, alpha 3 controls because I never really needed it, but if you do you can easily add them in.

The way I do it, is first wing is the leftmost squad (usually your own, Alpha) then second wing is to the right of that etc, third wing to the right of that etc. Of course you can just open up the xml and change it to whatever you want.

The best thing about Shoot is that it's free, and with it I now have a complete hotas setup for freespace i.e I never have to touch the kb in an entire mission. (My cyborg 3d already has throttle, roll, pitch/yaw.

http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/
*site is down for some reason.

If you already have microsoft speech recognition engine then the download is only ~200kb.

This really upped the immersion for me, just to be able to say first wing protect target and have them respond is awesome.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I had a ViaVoice version of FS1. But it only runs on a P3. I didn't like it, so I reverted to the generic FS1 version.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by operator
Edit: That guide was only a month old? Holy :D

I was rather shocked when I realised that little fact. I completely rewrote the page on 7th Feb and updated it on 29th. By the 17th it was already obsolete. :eek2:

I've made this one a little more general so that it hopefully won't age as quickly.

As for the cutscenes thing. :rolleyes: I did write something about them on the TroubleShooting page I made but when I updated I removed the link (which meant there were no links to the page anymore!) :)

This has now been fixed :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by operator

Don't worry I got a hold of mve2avi, and converted to avi, now just gotta virtualdub it and off we go.

Edit: That guide was only a month old? Holy :D Maybe some note about the transparent Support Ship being known as well, I was kind of wondering about that until I happened upon a post discussing it.

This is a reallly great community :nod:

Edit: Notice some weirdness with the mouse click/drag selecting weapons and/or ships in the mission screen. It seems like it doesn't recognize that you're clicking on it or something.

I believe the helious and cyclops are also loading their anis.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Originally posted by karajorma

I was rather shocked when I realised that little fact. I completely rewrote the page on 7th Feb and updated it on 29th. By the 17th it was already obsolete. :eek2:

I've made this one a little more general so that it hopefully won't age as quickly.

As for the cutscenes thing. :rolleyes: I did write something about them on the TroubleShooting page I made but when I updated I removed the link (which meant there were no links to the page anymore!) :)

This has now been fixed :)

That'd be great for noobs like me :)
The only other thing that was slightly confusing was the bunch of stickies on the forum, was hard to tell what information was updated which ones were outdated.

Offline ViRGE

Sorry to resurect a week-old thread, but what do I do now that I have the movies converted. Right now I have them named .avi, and in the FS2 folder, but is this correct? Do I need to put them some place different, modify a settings file, etc? Thanks.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
you need a modified mission file found in the latest media VP
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline RandomTiger

Or have them called .mve

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
you need a modified mission file found in the latest media VP

If the media.vp is too big a download for you, you may want to try this instead as it's only 2k :D

click me
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
anytime something is changed in the number of ships/weapons (ie a mod) or if we change something in the interface (like whenst I enabled slideing) the pilot files become incompatable

and just to make sure everybody knows any build I post is not going to play movies.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 09:56:15 pm by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline ViRGE

Rebuttal originating from the wisdom of Bobboau
and just to make sure everybody knoweth any build I post is not going to play movies. [/B]
Well, that would be why it isn't working then.:P Thanks.

Offline SA22C

Why dost thou not enable the movie code in thy builds Bob?