Author Topic: MP3 Player ?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
i just had an idea for the SCP,

when i play FS i like to listen to my own music on my stereo, could you incorporate an MP3 player in to the game.

i would like these features:

set the MP3 directory in the launcher
press an unused F button (any button will do) to bring up the MP3 option screen (anyware in game)
once mp3 volume and track are selected it disables the FRED/FS selected track and then, plays your MP3
it could also include playlists (saved in a FS directory) and the option to repeat one track only.
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not gonna happen. For the same licensing restricting reasons that made us select .ogg as the the new sound format instead of .mp3.

Of course the option of a .ogg player might be possible.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Topgun

Of course the option of a .ogg player might be possible.
that would be cool.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Note that I didn't say it was likely. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
And I thought that Freespace had great music already  :confused:
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Indeed...but it becomes boring after 10 years :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You know, you could just plug an MP3-player on your Line-In plug and be done with it... ;)

...Or use a media player of your choice on the background, whichever approach works since FS2_Open isn't that processor intensive in normal conditions. If you have multi-core processor, you could even set the media player's affinity to core 2 and FS2_Open affinity to core 1... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Herra said much the same thing, but...

What's preventing you from running FSO with the -nomusic command line, then running your own MP3 player in the background, with more skins, features, and enhancements than we would ever have the time or inclination to put in FSO?

Offline Fozzy

• Wokka wokka wokka!
  • Wanabe A Mighty Modder
    • Fozzy's Myspace
yer but that takes as lot of setting up every time you play a game and an ogg player wont, besides it might make music MODs more popular
The Terran VolksWagen Project - Lol
"that was a little too close, we gota wait fifteen mins to change our shorts" = (snipes, FS2)
I can whoop your ass with my LOGITECH

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It won't make "music mods" more popular.

If you want to find out just how much trouble the music system can be, go check a thread called "New music coming your way soon".

It's not just slapping a music file into a folder, and telling the game to use it... the table entries for music system seem to be rather sophisticated, because the engine doesn't just play file after file, it fades them into each other according to the situation, and the fading is timed to happen at appropriate times...

Besides, because of the fact that anyone who wants to listen their own music can already do it, I seriously doubt that anyone withing the SCP coders would want to spend their time on this kind of thing.

Everything doesn't need to be so complex and integrated. Plugging an mp3-player to Line-in Works. So does using a low-profile mp3-player, although an external player is easier to manage during missions, as you don't need to alt-tab to the player window to change files etc.

If it works, don't try to fix it. :P
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
yer but that takes as lot of setting up every time you play a game and an ogg player wont, besides it might make music MODs more popular
And from a coder's perspective, an in-game player will take "a lot of setting up" and an external music player won't.

I'm closing this.  It's not going to go anywhere, and it's just going to make everybody more annoyed the longer it stays open.