Author Topic: widescreen compatibility?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline alisbin

widescreen compatibility?
hey mates,
i might be switching to a widescreen monitor and i wanted to check to make sure that FSO won't go ballistic on me when i do. do i need to put in special command line codes? will it not work properly at all?
(monitor will be 1920 x 1200 if that matters)

Offline Echelon9

Re: widescreen compatibility?
I answered a very similar question on the Beyond the Red Line (which is a mod for FS2_Open) forums recently about widescreen support. I've copied it below:

Quote from: echelon9
The FS2_Open engine (which is behind BtRL) supports pretty much any resolution you throw at it.

However, there was a slight alignment issue with widescreen resolutions and target boxes when the target was located on the extremity of the screen; which has since been fixed after the last BtRL patch. It doesn't affect gameplay, just looks a bit weird.

Expect to see it resolved when BtRL moves to 3.6.10 of the engine.

If you get a build of FS2_Open from the Recent Builds sub-board, this alignment bug (and many others) will be fixed. The resolution is set in the config files.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Do remember though that the interface art was designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio, so it will appear oddly stretched on a 16:10 monitor.  The general solution is to turn off monitor scaling and use a 4:3 resolution.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Would you believe that I've never seen a widescreen monitor that lets you disable scaling?  Or any lcd for that matter.  Like if I want 1024x768 to only fill up a portion of a 1280x1024 monitor, so it's not stretching it across any pixels, I've never seen a LCD that can do that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Wonder if that is why I can use wide screen in 3.6.9 without a problem on one PC but not another. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Would you believe that I've never seen a widescreen monitor that lets you disable scaling?  Or any lcd for that matter.  Like if I want 1024x768 to only fill up a portion of a 1280x1024 monitor, so it's not stretching it across any pixels, I've never seen a LCD that can do that.
I've never had an LCD monitor to try it out myself, but from what I understand, it's usually accomplished by tooling around in your video drivers' control panel.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That makes more sense, although I don't recall seeing it in nvidia's recently.  Haven't looked though either.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
yes a lot of lcd monitor doesnt have a option to chance the scaling and thats bad.
how lower the price of the monitor, so greater is the possible that there is not option to chance the scaling.
but there are monitors there have option for the scaling. the most of this monitors have only as option full ration or aspect ratio, but some has 1:1 pixelmapping too.
i have a monitor with all 3 options. some of the hp, hyundai, ezio, samsung and LG monitor has scaling too, for example: hyundai w241d (16:10, aspect, 1:1) and HP w2207h (16:10, aspect).
i would prefer a monitor with option for scaling, because the scaling over the driver do in some cases not work and so you lost picture qualtiy if you have a card they didnt strong enough for the nativ resoultion.
and 4:3/5:4 resoultion so doesnt look strange.

but back to topic: i has tried last time a 16:10 resoultion, work so far good, but the images of the planets wasnt round, they form was like a egg, and the nebulas look a bit strange in the form too.
the rest looks fine and shooting work  :D
i mean if you can in the moment live with egg planets, play with a 16:10 resoultion :).

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline alisbin

i'm getting a very high end screen (i'm upgrading to a high end desktop replacement laptop, sager 9262, screen is a WUXGA LCD at 1920 x 1200) so i bet i will able to scale it to 4:3. all it'll mean is black bars on the sides right?
hmm, also, i'm gonna have vista on this thing, will that affect it?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ah.  Nvidia's control panel seems to have something like that under the Manage Custom Resolutions options, if you create one by hand it looks like I could define a 1600x1200 desktop inside a 1920x1200 active pixel display.  Pretty neat, I'll have to try that sometime.