Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The FRED Workshop

[WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within

(1/141) > >>

Bryan See:
I was told a month ago to finish my Shattered Stars project, and here I am.

I've decided to do a small demo first before committing to a full project.

When I started Shattered Stars some nearly four years ago, I originally thought of the idea of alien races waging an interstellar war, with Earth getting caught in the middle. Before the development commenced, I was playing around with the ideas. Originally, the races, the Galactic Rim Worlds and the Authority are the only warring factions. But I decided to reserve them for my future project, so I changed them to FreeSpace 2's, but one.

I wanted to create a big, stand-alone mod in the vein of Blue Planet and Inferno, without the requirement of FreeSpace 2 Retail. Originally, it was meant to be a mod in the style of Dimensional Eclipse. However, as time goes on, it grew into an original project, and then grew into something I reserved for my future project that doesn't involve FSOpen. Therefore, I retooled the mod and included all Shivan models into it. I felt inspired by Trimuthi, a campaign that allows players to play as the Shivans.

And, the demo, entitled Act 0, takes place thousands of years into the future, following the events of Blue Planet in FS2's timeline and approximately around the time of the events of the Mortal Engines Quartet began, specifically when the first book (which is adapted into a film) began. It is set in the remote regions of our galaxy, taken over by the Shivans long ago. In this demo, you play as the Shivans.

This WIP screenshot shows two Shivan fighters engaging an enemy capital ship. Admittedly, the Shivans were always my favourite, and so does the Unknown Intellectual Mechanised Species (UIMS). You may remember the UIMS as the enemy faction from Galaxian 3, but different somehow and I'm not explaining any further at the moment. There's a chance the Vishnans may appear in the demo, but I have no details.

I plan to release the standalone demo sometime this December.

Update #1: This campaign that comes with this mod is now called: "Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within". It is a demo and constitutes Act 0. Subsequent campaigns will be structured as Acts, much like Blue Planet: War In Heaven, with titles.

Update #2: This is now a development/discussion thread for Shattered Stars. The demo, which is to be released next week, is called the "Teaser Demo."

Update #3: The "Teaser Demo" was a botched release. Act 1 is now underway. See post.

Nightmare:
That sounds like a lot of ideas. That can be good, or the exact opposite depending on what you want to do. I'm seeing various universes and campaigns mentioned, but no clear synopsis. And why are there Shivans attacking a Cylon baseship?

Novachen:
I actually do not understand this anymore.

At least for the time i am active here, you told about, that Shattered Stars is a crossover with the Total Recall universe... then you renamed that into something different... but said in the same post, the Shattered Stars is the new name for a Ancient Shivan War reimagining.... and now... this one has nothing to do with any of this.

Well.. good luck then ^^, even i do not think, that this one will be released as Shattered Stars either  :D

Nightmare:
Also, the fighters on the pic look very much like INFs SF Danta. Unless you did some secret arrangement, Rampage isn't going to be happy.

Bryan See:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on July 26, 2018, 09:38:18 pm ---That sounds like a lot of ideas. That can be good, or the exact opposite depending on what you want to do. I'm seeing various universes and campaigns mentioned, but no clear synopsis. And why are there Shivans attacking a Cylon baseship?

--- End quote ---
I think it's simply because of time constraints involved, and the complexities that was resulted in overly ambitious. A synopsis is that it takes place thousands of years after the events of Blue Planet in the FS2 timeline, and the title may hint something to do with the coming cosmic apocalypse that brings an end to everything - a very fitting epilogue to FreeSpace. The screenshot showing the Shivans are attacking a Cylon baseship, but why they attacking is that the Cylons, somehow returned as the UIMS, began attacking the Shivans in some sort of war between the Destroyers.

--- Quote from: Novachen on July 26, 2018, 09:51:45 pm ---I actually do not understand this anymore.

At least for the time i am active here, you told about, that Shattered Stars is a crossover with the Total Recall universe... then you renamed that into something different... but said in the same post, the Shattered Stars is the new name for a Ancient Shivan War reimagining.... and now... this one has nothing to do with any of this.

Well.. good luck then ^^, even i do not think, that this one will be released as Shattered Stars either  :D

--- End quote ---
As I've said, I've been toying out ideas. A crossover with the Total Recall universe is a separate mod named "Total Retaliation". The Ancient Shivan War reimagining now depends on Shattered Stars in the way BP did to FreeSpace 2, technically speaking in terms of mod itself and story speaking because it may have related to its backstory, which explains when the Shivans destroyed the Ancients, the Cylons, now the UIMS, attacked them. And now, it's more than just an indirect crossover of the World of Mortal Engines (including the film). The Galactic Rim Worlds and the Authority are reserved for a future game project that doesn't involve FreeSpace Open.

--- Quote from: Nightmare on July 26, 2018, 10:05:14 pm ---Also, the fighters on the pic look very much like INFs SF Danta. Unless you did some secret arrangement, Rampage isn't going to be happy.

--- End quote ---
I liked that way.

As for that some secret arrangement, I plan to credit this to Inferno and contributors in the credits tbl or somewhat do something to make Rampage happy. What should I do? Change them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version