Author Topic: General forum game discussion  (Read 64319 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: General forum game discussion
No need to bend over backwards on my account; I have one more reason to fall back and get my free Veteran upgrade now...

BTW if the 3rd CRF were to return now to a CRF planet and get its free Veteran upgrade from the Academy, does the fleet retains it's combat XP?
Yes, it would become Veteran 1/4
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Okay ministers, time to check your project threads for the new techs!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
interesting
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Regarding 'overwatch' commands as I remember someone coining that term. <-- lemme get back on that later, I wanna type stuff on this subject but not right now.
Okay, let me get back on that now.

I won't add a new command, since multiple fire on any target commands effectively fill that overwatch role. However due to how political situations can be, I will allow some flexibility in fire commands. For example, Andrewofdoom gave the 3rd these commands last turn.
1) 3rd UGCR Advance Forward
2-5) Return fire to anyone who shoots at our fleet.
Since nobody fired on the 3rd UGCR that didn't trigger and they just held position.

(This doesn't mean you guys can just make up new commands on the spot though :p )
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Veers

So I can't order the WoD CRF variant of a Nuclear Strike?

Or Kamikaze Runs? With my capital ships?. Into Planets?

Bugger :P
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
We're about half way through the test game~
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

You've mixed up the locations of the first two battles.

Did the 2nd UGCR retreat?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yes - see the 10% damage taken in the main map sidebar.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Or Kamikaze Runs? With my capital ships?. Into Planets?

Bugger :P
No colony drops?! I was hoping I could haul that captured shipyard into a planet. :p

Well in the end it became the expected 2 on 2 war situation. I was hoping that it might turn out differently but at least we can kick some CRF ass... ;)
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
I feel sorry for Orph3us, especially given his last turn fair play, but that's what you get if you try to retreat in an orderly fashion between the might of the DD :P
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
retreat? Heck, he was heading for the DD home system!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Enioch

Replace 'retreat' with 'agressively relocate' then

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I feel sorry for Orph3us, especially given his last turn fair play, but that's what you get if you try to retreat in an orderly fashion between the might of the DD :P

retreat? Heck, he was heading for the DD home system!

Not exactly and imideately my decision ... after I went behind the back of my faction in hopes of maintaining the alliance with Sol in event of the pruposed 3v1-alliance, I had to make it up to the rest of the CRF somehow - and since I rather kept my own council instead of bowing to presure to take the penalty for an disorderly retreat, the 3rd is doomed...

But they are not going down quietly! Let's see how long I can maintain that tactical :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:18:19 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Apparently not very long! In case anyone was doubting the 1 range firepower of a UGC regulars fleet.

So this Tactical phase we learn all about vicious close quarter combat and discover one of the three 'hidden achievements', as well as how RNG can be... well, RNG.
First off, my condolences to the CRF.
Second off, I swear, I did not cheat with any of my Spoon controlled fleets!  :p
When I first looked at Veers orders, it was almost like he read my very move and was moving in such a way to counter it, but then when I started doing the turn results today, I saw he had edited his orders today. Not with the best results... :drevil:
Third off, about the targets of opportunity occurence. This happens when a valid fire order has been given and the primary target has been destroyed. Then, when there are still unfired weapons remaining and another valid target is in the same range. (<-- added to the rules thread now)

How is everyone else finding the game so far?
Now that we are at the half way point of the test game, I'm very interested in hearing you guys opinions. Anything that you like or don't like?

Personally I'm thinking about streamlining the weapon section of the fleets a bit. Sure, this current system works but it can be done a bit more simple and elegant. Which would help me speed up the calculations a bit, and should hopefully provide a clearer picture on what ranges a fleet functions optimally. I'll get back to this with an example later this week.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:29:24 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Given how diplomacy never shuts down, and indeed operates almost independently of the combat side of the game one suggestion I would like to make is to allow ministers to issue orders at any time, those orders then take a full turn minimum to enact.

As for the turns you could run based on the military side so phase 1 is Strategic turn, movement between locations, orders for refits, delivery of fleets etc and phase 2 is the Tactical turn which are the combat orders.

- So If I order a garrison fleet during Turn 3 tactical phase, Turn 4 Strategic is when the order is started, Turn 4 Tactical runs, Turn 5 Strategic the fleet arrives
 - - But if I order the fleet on Turn 4 Strategic,  the order is started, Turn 4 Tactical runs, Turn 5 Strategic the fleet arrives
 - If I order Research 50% on Turn 3 tactical, it arrives Turn 4 tactical, likewise if done on a strategic phase
 - - Same with tech and resource sharing deals

Or would that be too much to keep track of?
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yeah, unforunately that's a bit too much on the tracking end of things. It would blur the lines a bit too much for me.
(I make enough mistakes during the turn processing by missing things as it is...)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Veers

Trial by Fire, I thought I had checked the rules enough and still missed something, and the improved orders, by luck, did not work out as planned. Oh well, it happens and hey. I've learnt that Spoon is crazy for blood, we knew it but he really wants war.  :lol:

Good Fun, Good Fun :)

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Enioch

Wow, Spoor is scary.  :shaking: I suppose she was champing at the bit to fight some CRF ground swine and mud turtles.

Truly sorry for the RNG, Veers.

Also: has the CRF really not built a single starbase yet? Hmmmm.  :drevil: :lol:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:58:53 pm by Enioch »

Offline Veers

Yes well, we were not counting on the leading Admiral to trip over himself and his fleet in one swift move. Conspiracy much?

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Wow, Spoor is scary.  :shaking: I suppose she was champing at the bit to fight some CRF ground swine and mud turtles.

Truly sorry for the RNG, Veers.

Also: has the CRF really not built a single starbase yet? Hmmmm.  :drevil: :lol:

That why you have settled for freeloading our shipyard?