Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
The Babylon Project / Re: What I've Been Missing
« Last post by Vidmaster on December 05, 2021, 05:29:03 am »
I've been playing though the 'Fortune Hunters' campaigns, and I just have to give my acknowledgments and compliments to Vidmaster and his team.  I'm hooked!  I have noticed more than a few typos, unnecessarily-long silences between messages and events (that made me wonder if a critical event wasn't firing), or asynchronous message and event timings (due in some instances for the time it takes sim-speech to read the messages out) that show that a bit of polish could be applied, but the story itself is wonderful and compelling.

Thanks a lot but nowadays, I am mostly ashamed by this work of mine. I wrote this while I was 16 with my rather limited middle school English (I am not a native speaker) and absolutely zero tool support (like a spell checker).
In my humble modern opinion, I managed to get some good ideas in there (both plot- and game-design-wise) and thus these campaigns certainly shows that my younger self had lots of potential, but half-a-life later I can only see the flaws and bugs. Like the Poseidon-mission, which is honestly just broken.

Anyway, it was a valuable learning experience  ;7 and it also was my very first public release of anything with a sizable audience that played it.

Every two years or something, I wonder if I should return to Freespace and do something in that engine again. Like the project Freespace Saga which has been in my head for about 8 years now...      but I lack the time, given my other projects.

due in some instances for the time it takes sim-speech to read the messages out
It was never playtested with sim-speech since voice-acting was on the table. I actually got about 65% of it voice-acted by really good and nice actors but eventually gave up when I went to university. A real shame, actually, but that is life.
General Discussion / Re: Stuff we saw on youtube! (redux!)
« Last post by -Joshua- on December 05, 2021, 05:20:20 am »

Hello. It's another video from PhilosophyTube.
Mission & Campaign Releases / Re: RELEASE: The Battle of Neptune - Director's Cut
« Last post by Vidmaster on December 05, 2021, 05:12:20 am »
I have no idea how I missed this, considering I play absolutely everything with voice acting. Downloading now...
General Discussion / Re: Coronavirus Outbreak
« Last post by -Joshua- on December 05, 2021, 02:56:09 am »
Got my booster yesterday too.

I had COVID-like symptoms two weeks ago (sudden 37,5 °C fever which even peaked up to 39 °C for one evening), luckily the swab turned out negative, so it was probably parainfluenza.

Now let's hope now that this nu variant doesn't f**k everything up.
(oh it was renamed omicron and the "nu variant" dad joke does not work anymore?  :( )

Yes.
Nightly Builds / Nightly: 05 December 2021 - Revision 9d60eb615
« Last post by SirKnightly on December 05, 2021, 12:54:37 am »
Here is the nightly for 05 December 2021 - Revision 9d60eb615

Group: Linux
nightly_20211205_9d60eb615-builds-Linux.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: Win32-SSE2
nightly_20211205_9d60eb615-builds-Win32-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Group: Win64-SSE2
nightly_20211205_9d60eb615-builds-x64-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
commit 9d60eb615
Author: BMagnu
Commit: GitHub

Fix the tonemapper strings (#3806)
 code/lighting/lighting_profiles.cpp | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
The Babylon Project / What I've Been Missing
« Last post by Trivial Psychic on December 04, 2021, 11:26:13 pm »
Back when I was an active member of TBP, 'Raider Wars' was the only REAL campaign out there, and anything else I tried seemed underwhelming.  Granted, a few other campaigns did pop up later on, but I had lost interest by that point.  I'd heard of 'Fortune Hunters', but as I said, I had lost interest in TBP and much of FS by that point.  I returned to FS later on, but never back to TBP.  Now with me finally having accepted Knossos into my life, I've returned to TBP and try things out again.

I've been playing though the 'Fortune Hunters' campaigns, and I just have to give my acknowledgments and compliments to Vidmaster and his team.  I'm hooked!  I have noticed more than a few typos, unnecessarily-long silences between messages and events (that made me wonder if a critical event wasn't firing), or asynchronous message and event timings (due in some instances for the time it takes sim-speech to read the messages out) that show that a bit of polish could be applied, but the story itself is wonderful and compelling.

I'm still stuck on the 2261 mission with the Poseidon, in which some critical event doesn't seem be firing, so I'll have to boot it up in FRED and see what's wrong.  Once I've completed this campaign and a few stragglers, I've decided to return to a project I began even before joining the TBP team... porting Den5's campaign 'In The Beginning'.  I've still got it kicking around.

Speaking of which, does anyone know a good piece of software (preferably shareware) that I can use to strip the audio from a DVD?  Den5's ITB was originally written in Russian and then weakly translated into English (which is one part of the project), but he also has some audio extracted from the movie, but that is ALSO in Russian.  I'd like to have the English audio to use.  Some of it I could theoretically steal from the 'Heat 'em Up' solo missions included in the game, pertaining to the Black Star and Battle of the Line missions, but I'd like to do my own if possible.

Again, GREAT job Vidmaster!
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: FreeSpace Meme Thread: GO
« Last post by DefCynodont119 on December 04, 2021, 05:42:51 pm »
. . .
General Discussion / Re: Coronavirus Outbreak
« Last post by perihelion on December 04, 2021, 04:54:43 pm »
Just got my booster last night. I was planning to do it next weekend, but we finished our annual inventory physical count 2 days ahead of schedule (that has never happened before!) so I looked to see if anyone was still shooting people up last night. Pharmacy just down the road had one ready. Yay!

No significant pain or sick feeling this time, so that’s another blessing.

Yeah, seriously, did we just skip half of the Greek alphabet or were there epsilon and lambda etc variants that just weren’t splashy enough to make the news? Or are they just skipping the “boring” letters?
Gaming Discussion / Re: What are you playing right now?
« Last post by manwiththemachinegun on December 04, 2021, 03:41:04 pm »
If you're looking for a game that gives you those arcade-action sim feelings and a sense of fighting the odds... and despair, Project Wingman is definitely worth a look.

The crazy thing is it is near, or par quality with Ace Combat 7, by a 3 person indie team.
FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support / Re: FS Picky About Variables
« Last post by 0rph3u5 on December 04, 2021, 09:35:56 am »
I think, that's an old FRED bug with the modify-variables SEXP saving the modification for string variables wrongly (it has been fixed) - the fix for a mission saved incorrectly like that, is to add quotation marks manually to the SEXP via text editor, and then the mission should work correctly again

EDIT: That's how modify-variable applied to string variable should look like
Code: [Select]
      ( modify-variable
         "@Loadout_G3S2[MX-50]"
         "<argument>"
      )
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >