Author Topic: [Release (0.6.3)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface  (Read 22075 times)

Re: [Release (0.5)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Nope, only the user interface of the program is english or german, which should be obvious ( :confused: ) as the first selection talks about program language and not about game language in the first place.
After that initial selection, you can select the game language.
Your lack of faith is disturbing :lol:. As i had set up this whole thing, you can be sure, that you are able to change the language into spanish with the methods i mention here.

No, the fs2open.ini is in your appdata\roaming folder as mentioned. Only exception is, if you activated portable mode in your global FSO flags, which is very unlikely.

YOU ARE RIGHT! Spanish language working here!! :D Sorry for my misunderstanding. With the program you point me here, and following its its steps, changing language is like a children game! Thank you very much for all your work. This mod is just incredible!  ;)

[attachment deleted to save space]

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well... this project went to sleep in the last couple of months. Unfortunately an aftermath of the tragedy during Corona in my personal life hit me hard. So I have to take special care for my husband, again.

So 0.6 is unfortunately on hold for quite a while now.

However i try to release a 0.5.1 Version instead soon. That one will update the Japanese Translation aswell will fix some other small and even some bigger issues.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:48:10 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
This translation library is very helpful and impressive, and it's great to hear 0.5.1 might be released. Very sorry to hear about the personal toll Corona has taken on you and your family, and I hope your husband heals quickly!

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well, unfortunately 0.5.1 is still far from ready  :(.

But well, at least i was able to upload a new version of my small Language Selector.

Version 1.2.2-NTP has only one addition: You can also activate the italian language as well.

Even NTP does not support it right now (at least that will happen in 0.6. But i still try to squeeze that into 0.5.1) it already has a use.
Because you can properly play the built-in italian translation of the FreeSpace Port, now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:43:29 am by Novachen »
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well, the last message was a few months ago.

But well, i think i should tell you about, what actually happened that causes that this Translation project got to a halt so far.

Because of an accident caused by me, my husband fell into a coma last year. And since he is awake again, life is very much connected with restrictions, because I have to support him on the way to recovery.
At the beginning of the year, his condition unexpectedly worsened again, which is why I actually had hardly any time apart from work. Accordingly, I preferred to use that time for other things than to work on a modification.

A lot of things I wanted to bring on the way for the next version have been left behind because of that.
Since several weeks he is again nearly so on the level, before he had his relapse at the beginning of the year. So now I have a little more time and don't have to take care of him exclusively anymore.
That's why I'm trying to slowly ramp up this project again.

The goal is to get at least one version finished by the end of the year.
Because NTP is still a huge construction site in version 0.5. Many of the QoL improvements I introduced with NTP in good conscience didn't really pay off and there was a general wish from some people to undo them so that this actually plays like the original campaigns with all the bugs and problems, just in a different language.

My goal for 0.5.1 is next to a compatibility to the current MVPs is to revert most of the so-called QoL improvements in the missions.
Also i will at least include the updated japanese translation i got many months ago.

Can not promise that i will able to include the polish and italian language, though.
I prefer to set the support for both languages on the list for a 0.5.2 or maybe even the 0.6 release.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:39:45 am by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.5.1)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Well, it was quite a journey, but after 12 months i was able to release an update for this  :lol:.

Changelog for 0.5.1
• MediaVPs 4.5.1 compatibility!
• Updated Japanese translation by Soy Sauce.
• Fixed spanish translation for the mission SM3-01 "Bearbaiting".
• NTP uses the tabled strings for the default language setting now. So english behaves now like any other language and can be customized via the string files.
• Jump Nodes in missions are now also translateable.
• Deleted the NTP AI profile as all former changes are now enabled by default within FSO.
• Get rid of most enhancements within the missions from 2367: Supernova & FreeSpace: Blue, as their experience was too far away from retail.
• Some smaller enhancements like bugfixes however are still present.
• The language selector is now part of the root package on Knossos.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:51:05 am by Novachen »

Offline wookieejedi

Great to have an update!

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Version 0.6 is somewhat on the way, even slowly. It will include another campaign with the Operation Templar, for Single Player of course.
Most prominent addition however will be the inclusion of two other languages: Polish and Italian.

Yesterday i have finished another step for the proper integration of them: An own Font.
Polish has some characters, that are not present in the default character set of Bank Gothic.
So i created an own one, which is based on the standard Bank Gothic, but uses some characters from its clones like Bank Sans or Squarish Sans. Practically you will do not see any difference in the game between the default and the additional characters. A simple switch to Bank Sans or Squarish Sans was however not possible, as i found out, that they lack few characters from the spanish language :lol:.
So this own font simple includes everything so far.

The reason behind this is easy: I do not have to offer a specific language package then.

So i am thinking about, how to bring that even a step further and to include the Japanese Characters as well.
That would ensure, that we do not have to fiddle around with different language packages at all and that you can switch freely between languages with the same mod files.

My question is, anyone know a font which has a similar style to Bank Gothic Medium, but support Japanese letters instead? The style of the japanese letters in the font from the Japanese package are way too different to include them in my opinion.
I am asking, because... maybe someone has an idea? :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:09:53 am by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Polish integration is complete and is also supported now (or to better say, will be in 0.6) :).
On that way i also fixed some errors in the official polish translation like wrong ship names, system names or that they called the Rebels Shivans sometimes  :D

After i heard so much bad things about the polish translation i have to say, that at least the text one is surprisingly accurate. Maybe it has its reputation because of the voice actors, then. However this mod is intended to be played with the original english voices.

So, Italian is next.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 07:06:15 am by Novachen »

Offline wookieejedi

Nice job!

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Development 0.6] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Well, the last report was a month ago.

So i think i can tell you about some progress that happened in the mean time.
I am still working on 0.6  :).

Right now, i am in the middle of the integration of the Italian translation.

So the progress so far:

Cutscenes
The first thing i always do are the Cutscene subtitles. For the spanish translation back then, i had cutscenes with built-in subtitles, so i typewritten the text into the subtitle files.

On all other languages like Polish i never had any subtitles (as there are voiced in the original), where i always translated the english original text into the specific language via translator and maybe even dictionaries.
Even Italian is a fan translation that exists... it does not contain any text for the subtitles. So i also had to create them from scratch too.
Interesting fact: The cutscene subtitles always get a revisit at the end of the development, as things like Ship class names or the Star System Names still change very often during the course of the translation.

So why i am doing the subtitles not at the end of the development in general? No idea actually. It always felt like a good start for me, that something is already translated completely with not very much effort  :lol:

Menus
The translation of the Menus and the technical database are also complete. So the tech database was adapted successfully to the string range of this translation library.
That is one of the things i mean that Ship class names can be changing since the Cutscene subtitles.
The italian translation i got was actually very unsure if it should call the ships by their english original name or by a translated one (most likely because it was done via automatic translators without further scrutiny). In many ship entries, it uses the translated name... so i actually changed the ship class names in general to them. So this is actually the same experience like in the French translation by Achille.

The cover of the technical database also means that the weapon statistics that are present since MediaVPs are also translated... which is in this case an own translation aswell, as the old italian translation does not cover this.

The technical database includes the intelligence tab aswell.

Missions
As the menus are all done. I am already at the missions.

Right now, i got the translation adapted for the first five missions of the FreeSpace 2 campaign. So the whole 53rd Hammerheads (or 53° Martelli  :rolleyes:) arc is finished and playable in italian  :)

I actually do not think, that i will be finished with this in April. My conservative prediction for a release would be May 2022.

Greetings,

Jenna
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 03:33:33 pm by Novachen »

Offline wookieejedi

Oh wow, that's some impressive progress!

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Development (0.6)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Heyya,

so, another development update. Actually a big one.

Polish and Italian translation integration is so far complete.
Both languages are now on the same level as NTP 0.5 is. So aswell FreeSpace 2 Main Campaign as FreeSpace 2 Demo campaign are translated and playable in both languages with a simple language switch.

So in fact, i COULD release a NTP 0.5.2 update. As this one is finished. But well, i still prefer to release it together as part of 0.6, which would make this version a much bigger step.

Because now i can start with the actual development of the content that makes NTP 0.6 to that specific version. New translateable missions. Namely the FS2 Operation Templar singleplayer campaign in this case.
Besides two completely new languages to experience FreeSpace 2 with, you will have even four new missions to play in the other languages as well. Isn't that great?  :lol:
Operation Templar will however the first campaign, where i can not offer a japanese translation unfortunately, (at least for now). But there will be some fixes in all existing languages, that includes the japanese one as well.

Greetings,

Jenna

Offline wookieejedi

Wow that's terrific news! Awesome progress  :)

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.6)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Heyya guys,

Well, after the last development report it got way faster as i presumed. So i can already release the next step of NTP before May!

This is actually a big one, even you have only four new missions to play with a rebalanced version of FreeSpace 2's version of Operation Templar for single player, there are TWO NEW(!) fully integrated languages you can play this game in. Next to english, french, german, japanese and spanish you can also experience FreeSpace 2 in Italian and Polish!
But that it not all, there are also several other changes under the roof.

Changelog of Version 0.6:
MjnMixael's HD Mainhalls 1.4.8 compatibility!
• Inclusion of the Polish translation by Interplay Entertainment, but with special mention of Mito [PL] for the cutscene subtitles.
• Inclusion of the Italian translation by marco111.
• Both languages were adapted to NTP and got some own translations in this process by Novachen.
• Changed the name of the EFGIS package into EUR.
• All languages got a new language identifier according to ISO 639.
• Instead of the standard "Bank Gothic Md" font, the "FreeSpace-NTP" font is now used. It is a Font, that was exclusively created for this translation library by me.
• Some examples of new supported characters: Ā/ā, Ł/ł, Ṣ/ṣ, Ż/ż, ẞ/ß. The new font properly supports all six latin based languages that are part of NTP Version 0.6.
• Fixed the string table for the default language as it had an incorrect string range.
• Added some new translateable entries for the strings.tbl.
• Fixed the location of the CBrief for the mission loop2-1 "As Lightning Falls" correctly to GTD Soyakaze in the default language.
• Some formatting fixes in all languages, which also fix the error messages at launch of the Japanese translation.
• Some of the real existing Star Systems got a name in the German, Italian, Polish & Spanish translation that is more common there. (According to wikipedia at least)
• Added a spanish translation to the "FreeSpace 2: Demo" campaign with support by my sister. Thank you lil sis, you are the best translator tool i know 😘.
• Added the "FreeSpace 2: Operation Templar" Campaign. -> Campaign complete!
• FreeSpace 2: Operation Templar take place from 28th October 2347 to 30th October 2347. (14 Paopi 7840 to 16 Paopi 7840 in vasudan calendar)
• FreeSpace 2: Operation Templar is playable in English, French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish languages.

Opening Post was updated. So have fun.
Would like to hear some reports  :)

Greetings,

Jenna
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 01:47:42 pm by Novachen »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
As NTP 0.6 is the first release, i am somewhat satisfied with, i decided to bring the dormant NTP ModDB up-to-date.

That was actual the page for my (very controversial) campaign updates i made a few years ago. However i renamed that page after I decided to completely remodel my translation efforts at the time. Most of the screenshots and (now archived) downloads there are still from that campaign updates.
But well, i posted some new NTP screenshots, however nothing new for the people who use the Forum. All screenshots were already posted in this thread.

Did not find time to write a release article yet (maybe at the weekend?). However i found time to create an Installer for NTP for a proper manual install.

Regarding the next version 0.7.
Currently i did nothing after the release of 0.6. :D

I will take a look in the FreeSpace-NTP font however for that version again. Some of the "new" characters seems to need a redraw or at least different scaling settings. There ARE actually very small differences i found out after i looked closer to some screenshots.

Offline wookieejedi

Oh that’s a big update, awesome! All the work you’re doing to bring expanded translation access to FS is really terrific!

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Oh that’s a big update, awesome! All the work you’re doing to bring expanded translation access to FS is really terrific!

Thank you very much. It actually means something to me that someone appreciates one of my works here :).

Even there is still a very long way ahead with many versions before this project may will be really catch greater interest.
At the moment it still covers only a game that is over 20 years old and surely everyone who is interested has played it at some point already.
I just hope I can keep my motivation up long enough for this to really find its place here as a permanent expansion that people look forward to, and not have someone stumble across it in a few years and it turn out to be just an attempt by then.

I mean, there are more than enough of "attempts" on HLP.  :)

Offline wookieejedi

Thank you very much. It actually means something to me that someone appreciates one of my works here :).

Even there is still a very long way ahead with many versions before this project may will be really catch greater interest.
At the moment it still covers only a game that is over 20 years old and surely everyone who is interested has played it at some point already.
I just hope I can keep my motivation up long enough for this to really find its place here as a permanent expansion that people look forward to, and not have someone stumble across it in a few years and it turn out to be just an attempt by then.

I mean, there are more than enough of "attempts" on HLP.  :)

This project definitely fills a much needed space in the FS mod Eschelon. And indeed, attracting players from many different languages is a terrific goal that will help contribute to keeping FSO gaining new folks  :)

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Re: [Release (0.6.1)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface
Update time. I waited until the FSOInstaller got the MVP 4.6.X, as to make any manual installation method mutually compatible.
Well, i simple missed a version jump, so i thought 4.6.3 is the current one. In all documents MediaVPs 4.6.3 are mentioned, but however it is a proper 4.6.4 compatibility.

NTP 0.6.1 is ready to download. Nothing big actually. Missions needed an update due to the new AI Profile and some of the strings could be omitted due to the new animation code. Apart from that, i fixed some stylistic errors in the FreeSpace-NTP font. So the font got an update aswell.

Changelog of Version 0.6.1:
MediaVPs 4.6.4 compatibility!
• Fixed some string range errors under the fsu_credits-crd.tbm segment in the default, italian and polish language.
• Updated "FreeSpace-NTP" font. Following characters were revised: Â/â, Ą/ą, Č/č, Ē/ē, Ĕ/ĕ, Ė/ė, Ę/ę, Ě/ě, Ğ/ğ, Ñ/ñ, Õ/õ, Ź/ź, Ż/ż, Ž/ž, ẞ/ß.

Also the FreeSpace 2 Open Installer (22.0.0-4.6.4) on the ModDB site includes now also a "NTP" installation preset. That one installs a build, launcher and only the MediaVPs that are absolutely necessary for NTP. The installer also mentions 4.6.3 even 4.6.4 is included.

Opening post was updated, so have fun.
Would still like to see some feedback and experience reports  :)

Greetings,

Jenna
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 05:57:17 am by Novachen »