General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

GTF Ares - Ugly Duckling

(1/2) > >>

AV8R:
While the GTF Ares has always been one of my favorite go-to ships to fly at the end of FS2, while messing around with the new PBR light settings to see how they looked in game I really began to notice the unattractive features of the Ares' exterior. Good God did the builders at Nankam Aeronautical attach the hull plating with giant ball-peen hammers?

Yikes, just look at the metallic mess on the side of that ship - yuk! If that is what the depleted uranium armor upgrade looks like, it's a whole lot of ugly. No amount of paint in the world is gonna cover that nasty bit o' pitted plating.   :nervous:

Something else I noticed about this model too - the upper and lower forward engine glows can bee see thru the cowls that are suppose to direct/cover the thrusters. You can see it in the pic: notice the glow showing through the upper engine cowl and the line of the cowl covering on the lower engine thruster. Even better, when you view those engines from the front of the ship it's as if the cowls are meant to be transparent - you can see the glows clearly through the metal (unless the cowls are supposed to be made of some sort of transparent aluminum or similar sci-fi space metal).   ;7

In other news, still trying to get that nice, dark, metallic look back to the models that was so easy in pre-3.8.0 builds - but still haven't found anything comparable yet.   :sigh:

Nyctaeus:
Current HTL Ares is probably retail-based, both model- and texture-wise. It's one of the oldest model upgrades in current MVP release, so don't expect miracles. It's model and maps should be completely redone.

The E:
Yeah, it's definitely one of the oldest models in the MVPs

0rph3u5:
Am I misremebering, or was there are version that makes look more "complete" (aka closer to the Herc II)?

The E:
The only alternate version of the Ares I can remember is Starslayer's concepts

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version