General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Question about usage of community assets

(1/2) > >>

Rising Fenix:
Hello everyone, long time lurker here but finally decided to register and post.
Anyways, besides the awesomeness of Freespace and the HLP community  :D I have a question?
I'm writing a Fanfic crossover where one of the universes is Freespace and since the timeline is a few years after Capella there are bound to exist new ships, weapons, etc, are there objections in using ships created by the community?
I'm not downloading files, just using the names and describing the ship in itself.

Thanks in advanced.

rubixcube:
From what I understand, so long as you give credit and don't use them for commercial purposes, you're fine.

Rising Fenix:
Figured as such. I had my doubts because I'm not downloading the files, I'm just using their description and names. But no problem  :p
I just have to credit them once right?

Mito [PL]:
I think it would be a good idea to have a 'Credits' page on the end of your story and have entries like this:
[ship/weapon/something name] concept - [ship author], hard-light.net
for example. And yes, I think it whould suffice to do this just once. Many bigger FSO mods stuff their credits into, well, credits section. Eventually these are also mentioned right in the end of the mods campaign (in a cutscene).

There was some discussion about licensing modded assets and mods some time ago and a shoutout to the community to start including licenses with their mods, so some might have them, but I don't think there's more to it than "Just credit me if you use this (for non-commercial purposes)".

Black Wolf:

--- Quote from: MitoPL on May 17, 2018, 04:43:06 pm ---

There was some discussion about licensing modded assets and mods some time ago and a shoutout to the community to start including licenses with their mods, so some might have them, but I don't think there's more to it than "Just credit me if you use this (for non-commercial purposes)".

--- End quote ---

Just because the SEO of this thread title might see it found by others in the future, the only caveat I would add to this statement is that it generally will only apply to FSO based projects. Several of the more prolific asset creators (myself included) are not keen on ships being ported to other engines without permission being granted first, non-commerciality notwithstanding. Though this doesn't apply to every model, and some asset creators are fine with it.

But to Rising Fenix's specific question, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with ship names and descriptions in a normal fanfic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version